PDA

View Full Version : Rise and Fall of Silver Islet

Chronic Distrust
02-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Here is a nice find on the tube. About a half hour long. That would be a really scary way to make a living. And Silver is so cheep.
Fresh from the writer, enjoy:

c0qGobP1guY

This is my second professional documentary film which I sold to CBC. It tells the story of a tiny island off Lake Superior's North Shore that was a 19th century engineering milestone. A 1300 foot deep silver mine once operated on storm-battered Silver Islet. The film was shot in 1985 in an old mine in Cobalt, Ontario and at the Steam Pump house museum when it used to operate in Kingston Ontario. The film was shot with a tiny budget on my old 16mm Bolex Camera. It is 25 minutes long.

Produced and Directed by Peter G. Elliott. Written by Robert Sandler. Instrumental music score by Cathy Elliott and Roger Cormier. The title song was composed and sung by Bill Houston from Thunder Bay. Many of my friends are playing miners in this. This presentation is dedicated to my late friend Scott Hoey who narrated it in his Rod Serling style.

captainsilverton
02-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Here is a nice find on the tube. About a half hour long. That would be a really scary way to make a living. And Silver is so cheep.
Fresh from the writer, enjoy:

c0qGobP1guY

This is my second professional documentary film which I sold to CBC. It tells the story of a tiny island off Lake Superior's North Shore that was a 19th century engineering milestone. A 1300 foot deep silver mine once operated on storm-battered Silver Islet. The film was shot in 1985 in an old mine in Cobalt, Ontario and at the Steam Pump house museum when it used to operate in Kingston Ontario. The film was shot with a tiny budget on my old 16mm Bolex Camera. It is 25 minutes long.

Produced and Directed by Peter G. Elliott. Written by Robert Sandler. Instrumental music score by Cathy Elliott and Roger Cormier. The title song was composed and sung by Bill Houston from Thunder Bay. Many of my friends are playing miners in this. This presentation is dedicated to my late friend Scott Hoey who narrated it in his Rod Serling style.

very cool....that is out of this world....and man thanks!!!!

INCT

txsteele
02-05-2012, 04:45 PM
I dont see the link or the video:confused:

ifionlyhadsomegold
02-05-2012, 05:18 PM
just goes to show you what they will go through for real wealth compared to printing 0's in a computer.

thanks!

txsteele
02-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Ahhhh......got the link now. Dont know what happened, I'll start watching.

Chadilac
02-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Good video. :D :)

yellowsnow
02-05-2012, 06:30 PM
http://www.turnstone.ca/rom126ag.htm

Gold may have been the prime incentive for many European explorers of the New World, but silver was also a big draw. Silver is a precious metal, especially at current prices in excess of the historical (1980) high of US$30/ounce, but not nearly as rare in nature as gold or the platinum group elements. The elemental abundance of Ag in the upper lithosphere is about 0.1 ppm, e.g., 0.12 ppm in gabbro and diabase (Boyle, 1968). Then as now, the saleability of the metal sufficed for the adventurous. As summarized by Smith (1986, pp.36-55), Silver Islet began its brief period of fame and fortune as a tiny islet, no more than 8 feet (2.4 m) above the waters of Lake Superior. In the summer of 1868, prospectors found a rich vein of galena and silver on the tiny rock, and in short order blasted and hacked 1,336 pounds of ore to ship to Montreal, where it averaged an astonishing assay of 2,087 ounces per ton silver (606 kg averaging 7.16 wt.% silver!). While the discovery in a sense was easy, the subsequent brief but fabulously productive mining of the exposed rock, 1869-1884, posed an epic struggle against the elements, as told in detail by Barr (1988). These were colourful, hard-driving times, with the hard work and danger shouldered by powerful Norwegian and Cornish ("Cousin Jack") miners (Newell, 1985; Barr, 1988; Horton, 1989).

latemetal1
02-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Thank you for posting that, well worth watching.:cool:

silvertip
02-05-2012, 08:18 PM
that was great thanks for sharing