PDA

View Full Version : Warning - German Silver 999 - no silver content

FreddyKrug
02-28-2012, 02:36 PM
I was looking on the bay to see if there was anything cheap left after today's spike. I found some "NEW | 1 Oz FINE GERMAN SILVER .999 BUFFALO/BISON BULLION BAR" at about spot price and almost clicked buy. I then thought it was a bit strange that it had German Silver on it and also United States Of America. A quick Google of German Silver led me to this (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1463878) page which says there is no silver in German Silver - something I was unaware of.

Most of his 500 buyers are probably unaware what they have bought. There are a few negative feedbacks:

Feedback: WARNINING SCAMMER the GERMAN SILVER he is touting is NOT SILVER BE WARNED .
Reply: never claim it was silver, (read the listing when buying something)

Feedback: I'm taking him to court! Check my perfect feedback and be very careful!!!!
Reply: the items you brought ware the items you received, ebay is based on lies

Just thought I would give people the heads up - stay safe.

maxwellsilverhammer
02-28-2012, 02:50 PM
lots of shady type "gotcha" listings on ebay. BUYER BEWARE! read the entire post and do some research before bidding on anything or buying anything. lots of plated crap out there posing as bullion also. often listed as "mills" which means nearly worthless except as a theft decoy in case someone breaks in to your home

Melvin Furd
02-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I met a guy at big flea market and he showed me a couple of fake silver dollars. a morgan and a peace dollar,it fooled me for a second.

captainsilverton
02-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I met a guy at big flea market and he showed me a couple of fake silver dollars. a morgan and a peace dollar,it fooled me for a second.

how bout French or Spanish or Bolivian silver???

INCT

RoadLizard
02-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Funny you bring those up - I saw them too. :rolleyes:

Im also quite tired of the hoardes of "1000 miils" CRAP and varioations of that up there. Ive got make my search filters more advanced. I hate wading through page after page of BS! :mad:

Stretch3479
02-28-2012, 03:27 PM
also important to know your way around "pounds" of silver - or what type of "ounce" they're really talking about

roscoag
02-28-2012, 04:22 PM
My brother called me recently thinking he was rich. Said he found "70 pounds of silver". I asked what were the markings on it . He said "Brasilian Silver". I felt back breaking it to him.

HighInBC
02-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Calling an alloy 999 is outright fraud even if you can legally call it "german silver".

This is a real pain when I want to sell German Silver Spoons, which have 80% silver content to them. People think they have no silver.

Savages.

captainsilverton
02-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Calling an alloy 999 is outright fraud even if you can legally call it "german silver".

This is a real pain when I want to sell German Silver Spoons, which have 80% silver content to them. People think they have no silver.

Savages.

i have messaged each one of those savages on the bay through the bay after i looked under their "completed items" a few months back and saw what folks paid it sickened me, gave them a solid piece of my mind,,,,as off base as i was i did it anyway........i was beside myself....the sellers could care less by their responses... i know its not my business but it is preying....dealing and preying are 2 separate things.....theses sellers are cleaning up..there is like 1.30 worth of metal and work in those look a likes to those hopeful, unsuspecting neophytes.......the bay has changed the rules but in a worthless way, the consumer is still screwed if he knows no better...

INCT

Holy_Peanuts
02-29-2012, 03:10 PM
German silver = Nickel silver. No actual Ag content!!

Buyer beware.

Although he wasnt being dishonest, just a little tricky..

HighInBC
02-29-2012, 03:40 PM
German silver = Nickel silver. No actual Ag content!!

Buyer beware.

Although he wasnt being dishonest, just a little tricky..

Calling it "999" is dishonest. A copper, nickel, zinc alloy is not under any definition "999". That crosses being sneaky into downright theivery.

capsule
02-29-2012, 04:24 PM
im pretty sure da bay said no more fake silver or copy coins and such. im sure they are sick of dealing with the disputes. the other annoying trickster device is to have stupidly high shipping. watch out for that too..

HighInBC
02-29-2012, 04:32 PM
im pretty sure da bay said no more fake silver or copy coins and such. im sure they are sick of dealing with the disputes. the other annoying trickster device is to have stupidly high shipping. watch out for that too..

Yes. If you win the "item not described" case you will get back your purchase price but not your shipping cost.