PDA

View Full Version : New forum members posting, past lurkers??

captainsilverton
03-05-2012, 04:51 PM
seems to be a slew of new posting members...i like it!!! there is enough silver to go around.

good luck to all you new stackers...

after almost 30 years of stacking i can not think of a single regret with this metal... well, don't get me thinking......

post away, ask away, tell us your way all you new folks....

so is it me or is there a new influx larger than ever hee on kitco silver discussion..????

INCT

Murph
03-05-2012, 04:55 PM
seems to be a slew of new posting members...i like it!!! there is enough silver to go around.

after almost 30 years of stacking i can not think of a single regret with this metal... well, don't get me thinking......

so is it me or is there a new influx larger than ever hee on kitco silver discussion..????

INCT

Finally able to post after lunch today - just getting my stack under way - my daughter is almost 4 and I figure I will stack for no other reason than to cover college and a wedding one day. That is my short term goal - long term obviously to live life the way I want to

Stackinglikeafool
I am guilty as charged. I have been lurking since about early December, starting buying in January and did my first post last week. Amazing what you can learn here. I only read up on here about 10 times a day.

Rons Cave
More people waking up to reality...I am one of those.

Chronic Distrust
03-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Oldies changing thir screen names to throw off the trackers. :eek:

Lusterburn
03-05-2012, 04:58 PM
I bought some Eagles today, my local coin guy said they were ugly and gave them to me for two bucks over spot each. Only one of them looks a little milky. Any thoughts?

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/420975_10150586170315636_635615635_9543782_2609332 88_n.jpg

SilverTongueDevil
I plus 1 what the Captain said welcome and hope to hear from you all...
Stack on and hold your own... If not trade paper and profit to each there own.

Daffy Duck
Lurked a couple months, learned a ton. So decided to register, and maybe post once in a while.

Would like to think "people are waking up," but I'm a cynic.

I'm in it for me...

captainsilverton
03-05-2012, 04:59 PM
I bought some Eagles today, my local coin guy said they were ugly and gave them to me for two bucks over spot each. Only one of them looks a little milky. Any thoughts?

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/420975_10150586170315636_635615635_9543782_2609332 88_n.jpg

yeah they are silver eagles...sweet..

INCT

Dava0016
03-05-2012, 05:12 PM
They look good. I have gotten a couple ASE's that had a milky look. In particular the years 2002 and 2007 had them the most for some reason. Not sure why. They weighed more than the others too...?

Diving Goose
03-05-2012, 05:13 PM
I am more of an uneducated lurker becoming educated in the PM's. I think I first joined in 08 when I watched silver hit 7 bucks an oz.... I've been hooked ever since, the only problem was the woman I was with, was very skeptical... I wasn't working much but wanted in. Long story short I managed to stack 100oz back then but had to sell for financial reasons.
Crazy how things turn out but I'm not with her anymore, maybe she offed herself knowing I was right ( for once). Anyway, new woman new goals and she is on board, we are STACKERS!!! I believe with what I've read, not just in here but on other reputable sites as well, that silver WILL be alot more valuable in the next 10-20 yrs, about the time I will retire COMFORTABLY !!
Thank you all for your input, my brain is sore from all this useful info.:D

Ps I sold at 20$

Mike Hunt
03-05-2012, 05:25 PM
They look good. I have gotten a couple ASE's that had a milky look. In particular the years 2002 and 2007 had them the most for some reason. Not sure why. They weighed more than the others too...?

No sweat, the previous owner was probably Canadian. :)

Mr Eagle
03-05-2012, 05:30 PM
While I read for over a year, I've recently jumped in. Always trying to lower my DCA with a mix of rounds and ASE. As for that milky or frosty silver, I have a few too. When I used to cast bullets out of wheel weights, sometimes the final product was "frosty" looking. That has been explained to me as the temperature was a little too hot at the time of "the pour". Others may differ with that opinion. Good luck.

Gold Standard
03-05-2012, 05:31 PM

I like beat up ASE's. I picked up one on Saturday for 25 cents over spot. :)

ParlayTheHard8
03-05-2012, 05:35 PM
While I read for over a year, I've recently jumped in. Always trying to lower my DCA with a mix of rounds and ASE. As for that milky or frosty silver, I have a few too. When I used to cast bullets out of wheel weights, sometimes the final product was "frosty" looking. That has been explained to me as the temperature was a little too hot at the time of "the pour". Others may differ with that opinion. Good luck.

These ain't poured (molded), They're die stamped!

chrisiden
03-05-2012, 06:12 PM
:D Lurkers Welcomed Here...:eek:

------
:cool:

Feral child
03-05-2012, 06:16 PM
:D Lurkers Welcomed Here...:eek:

------
:cool:

Aye that, new members too :)

blackkramer
03-05-2012, 06:19 PM
It is the extra milk on those coins that are weighing them down.

Welcome to the boards all, just don't get all caught up in the "to the moon" talk and try to keep a rational head. Silver goes up, silver goes down, try not to worry about it!

MaintenanceMan
03-05-2012, 06:27 PM

DCA? something something average?

Feral child
03-05-2012, 06:31 PM
DCA? something something average?

Dollar Cost Average, simply what your stack cost you on a per unit basis ;)

samsnate
03-05-2012, 06:33 PM
No sweat, the previous owner was probably Canadian. :)

Hey Hey Hey....settle down there! :) Think $2 over spot was fine. Dont worry about the spots...It doesnt affect the value of the silver at all, only the looks of it. By the way, guilty like many of you here... Been learning watching and reading for well over a year, then got into the PM about a year ago and only finally started to actually say something like a month ago. Guess I liked you all enough. CHEERS!

Toartuss
03-05-2012, 06:38 PM
I registered because I couldn't see the pictures members were posting:D

Sliver_of_Hope
03-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Stacking since Oct 2011... Recruiting new stackers as often as I can. I'm sick of the banks making money off my savings!

VIPER_81_21
03-05-2012, 06:59 PM

INCT

Thanks for the warm welcome CAPTAIN ;)

I too have been lurking in and around kitco forum for the past year, year and a half or so. Reading and soaking up all the information, trying to better educate myself and a couple of weeks ago I finally decided to register.

I've stacked 1300+ oz of silver since end of 2010 and my DCA is approx. $34.50 with all the premiums and shipping in. Got some stuff over $40 but not too much. Also got 2.45 oz of gold (DCA $1465 on 2 1 oz's, $1857 on 4 1/10 and 1/20) I've dealt with LCS, online dealers gainesville and apmex, private listings.

This is a great place for novice and seasoned stackers alike, to exchange information and to educate (each other)

Wishing my fellow stackers good luck

Cheers!

Toartuss
03-05-2012, 07:14 PM
BTW Captain...that was a mighty fine looking Tiffany serving set.

I appreciate fine craftsmanship as well as entrepreneurial skills.

Mr Eagle
03-05-2012, 07:18 PM
I understand that. But at some point, there had to be heat used to get the metal into a stamped shape. Silver melts at 1760* and gold at 1945*. These ain't poured (molded), They're die stamped!

Feral child
03-05-2012, 07:31 PM
I understand that. But at some point, there had to be heat used to get the metal into a stamped shape. Silver melts at 1760* and gold at 1945*.

Details vary according to the mint but these are the essentials-

DkHFNnOK3Bg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkHFNnOK3Bg

Nameless user
03-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Got into stacking physical for the purpose of my money being a physical item and not a slip of paper with a number on it. Wished I got into the game earlier but atleast I'm in it. My dca sits in the $34-$35 range, but I'm on the 10-20 year plan, so dropping prices make me happy! :D

peanut905
03-05-2012, 08:09 PM
I started stacking since Feb 2012, I would love if someone could explain a few of these meanings for me. And maybe list any other things I newbie should know.

FRN
POS

Thanks

capsule
03-05-2012, 08:10 PM
welcome all..
nice to be able to trade a commodity without a broker too. and don't worry too much about your dca. I was trying to calculate mine but its hard when there is a 20 year gap in stacking and i don't have the receipts for the 90% i bought as a kid. just try to buy on the dips when buying. a super simplified way to predict the dips is if it goes up a couple days, likely it will go down the next and vice versa, if it goes down a couple-3 days in a row, its likely going up the next. silver is fun that way. and don't sweat a dollar up or down here and there. happy stacking

Feral child
03-05-2012, 08:12 PM
I started stacking since Feb 2012, I would love if someone could explain a few of these meanings for me. And maybe list any other things I newbie should know.

FRN
POS

Thanks

Federal Reserve Note and Price of Silver (except on really bad days) respectively.

easye
03-05-2012, 08:17 PM
I've been reading, learning, and stacking since August 2011. Happy stacking. Curious to what it will be in a couple years. It in for the long haul.

Mike Hunt
03-05-2012, 08:18 PM

FRN
POS

Thanks

Heres a list of most.
https://www.kitcomm.com/showpost.php?p=644197&postcount=1

redraspberry
03-05-2012, 08:20 PM
I've been stacking since 2002 but signed up here in 2009. Just started posting in earnest though within the last year.

BodieGhost
03-05-2012, 08:21 PM
I joined up a couple of months ago but I'm a veteran PM stacker. I also had years of posting on the old USAgold forum. My DCA for gold is $455 (I don't remember what it was for Ag or Pt).

Lately, I've only been stacking Pt. To me, the other metals look overpriced. Others have vehemantly disagreed, but that's OK. There are plenty of folks smarter than me and maybe they know something. Still, I see others who are just true believers. This forum has them all, plus a few side-show type folks. :)

peanut905
03-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Heres a list of most.
https://www.kitcomm.com/showpost.php?p=644197&postcount=1

This is perfect, thank you.

Mike Hunt
03-05-2012, 08:25 PM
This is perfect, thank you.

Anytime. :)

strat
03-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Reason I'm here is that I feel the PMs are the only prudent investment left for me to consider as I don't care to waste hard earned money. A lurker? Not so, but rather an ongoing learner from those contributing to the Forum by voicing their experience and offering references.
I don't have enough experience to contribute, and cannot offer anything worthwhile to the learned folks here. However, I'm glad you folks are willing to share this vital info to anyone who listens.

Feral child
03-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Reason I'm here is that I feel the PMs are the only prudent investment left for me to consider as I don't care to waste hard earned money. A lurker? Not so, but rather an ongoing learner from those contributing to the Forum by voicing their experience and offering references.
I don't have enough experience to contribute, and cannot offer anything worthwhile to the learned folks here. However, I'm glad you folks are willing to share this vital info to anyone who listens.

This place is full of opinionated people, some with more wisdom than others but still all opinion- read, ask questions, and share yours too. :) To the best of my knowlege there are no PM billionaires hanging out here.

davidc11291
03-05-2012, 09:46 PM
I am guilty as charged. I have been lurking since about early December, starting buying in January and did my first post last week. Amazing what you can learn here. I only read up on here about 10 times a day.

This is my exact story too. Thanks for the welcome, vets.

Tubby513
03-05-2012, 09:47 PM
I've been here for a few months but spend more time reading than posting. I don't even think I've broken 100 posts yet...

peanut905
03-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Federal Reserve Note and Price of Silver (except on really bad days) respectively.

I just saw this, very true :)

captainsilverton
03-05-2012, 09:57 PM
BTW Captain...that was a mighty fine looking Tiffany serving set.

I appreciate fine craftsmanship as well as entrepreneurial skills.

we purchase, trade, barter seek out as many higher end sterling pieces from the "gilded age" as possible, our favorite era, anything from lighting to all involved with the rich and privledged of the 1870's to 1850's, and then some now as time goes on !!!.....we have small collections of all we deal in, well pretty impressive actually of sterling and art glass and US and english art and pottery, and we buy and flip if possible in the fields of items we know well.. from old antique firearms, weapons, ammo to antique hunting and fishing items, architectural items, motorcycles,..well it goes on and on....we love the hunt, and the sale, the haggle of a deal, and we do enjoy any profits since that is what makes the world go round..... if worse comes to worse an auction house works as well to profit for the type objects we trade in, but we prefer to put it right in the hands of people ourselves, and meet a new connection (my wife and i are a team).... many ways to work the silver stacks, with many offshoots.....i think best of all are the relationships we have made over the years, of folks all over the country and a few international also...

our other stacks of preps, antiques, art, machinery, and anything that can generate income in one form or another are always at play, we travel as much as possible for enjoyment and acquirement when possible, eyes and ears always an open part of the game.....we have deep roots in New England region of the USA and love its old historical beauty and offerings of such, we will petty much trade and barter or purchase anything that strikes our hearts and fills our pockets when possible ...

been entrepreneurial for almost ever, for good or bad, my way or the highway....and still am, and at, and in my prime with collecting and selling and flipping many hard assets..... we plan to continue, even this recession has not slowed us down, in many ways items have come to us at lower prices since 2008, and we still manage to find homes for buyers, to place them, whatever they may be......connections and a network of years really do pay off.... though many tend to hide the fact they collect pm's, we do too, to a certain extent, but we are known for our purchasing of many other type antiques along with silver...i lurked for a while and realized we stacked a bit different than most...but whatever works, works.... many strokes for different folks...the best is for sure the education and the growth you gain, and i am an old dog...this forum has been more the useful, resourceful and absolutely wonderful...i am just one of many cool A$$ stackers, many who have me beat with knowledge and sense of the markets and metals....but i still yearn to learn, and have a niche that makes me energy each day.... have many irons in the fire, and always have and will till i can not anymore...my deal is play hard or don't play at all..

we all should respect this open forum, the diversity of ideas and education and sharing....yipper...just another way of meeting folks, in a tech world..

best to all new and old minds of the same inclination, in this silver cycle game of past and present, this PM game, that ya never quite know how to predict... sticking to it for us has been as good as it gets, of all the entities i make a living at, silver is kinda of my favorite core to do so...and it did all start with silver coins, numi's, and bullion...

stack on, tell your stories, share your education, ask and ask again, it is a fine group, from eccentrics to quiet stackers behind the scenes here...we hope all enjoy this work, hobby or hedge, whatever it is to each individual, of staking and realizing the possibilities of a big payoff someday, as we all hope and why many are in short or long... with all the objects we have had gone through our hands over 25 plus years, we search still daily for more, it's a way of life, and very rewarding....we try to keep the best of the best for us for now, i am sure we will purge one day, well one year to 5 year period is more realistic, and we have plenty put aside for 3 grown children that share the same passion as we do, at least to some extent....

INCT

Replicant
03-05-2012, 10:27 PM
I have learned quite a bit here as well, even in a short amount of time. I do appreciate the pointers.

One noob question I have is where can I find a decent website that shows the exact historical price of silver called out by day that's not in a graph? I've written down all of my silver purchases and what I spent, but I didn't always include the price of silver that day. I'd like that piece of information to help to see what I've been paying over spot. I was thinking something like this, except for silver - http://www.usagold.com/reference/prices/2011.html

Aguadulce
03-05-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm most impressed with the more experienced members willing to share their knowledge without showing off. It makes it a comfortable place for new people to ask questions, share stories and recent additions even if it's only one Troy ounce at a time.