PDA

View Full Version : Washed gold coin

apoch
03-29-2012, 10:09 AM
The 1900-1950 Euro gold coins, such as sovereign, helvetia, rooster.

I have several, including 2 sovereigns. One 1909 Edwards, color appears to be bronze. The other is a 1925 George. It is more yellow than the Edwards. The difference is quite distinct when put together.
They are both real gold due to their size, thickness and weight. I got the yellow one from local dealer in 2900 CNY (=460$, gold coins in China always cost more than on ebay).
I also noticed many similar difference in the helvetia. So my questions are:

(1) Is it true that yellow coin = washed coin? For these 90% and 22K 60-100 year gold coins?
(2) If yes, why they wash these coins? For higher price (but as I know bronze one always has high price here)? To grade the well washed? Or just want clean it to look better? I googled some result about washed coin, but most are about silver, not gold.

PS: I'd like submit photo here but my camera is poor. The bronze VS yellow should be common case for such old gold coins. I believe many people know it.

Ectophile
03-29-2012, 05:11 PM
22K coins can vary in colour depending on what the gold is alloyed with. Krugs tend to be quite orange as they use copper. Modern UK coins are quite yellow as they use silver.

That may be the difference you are seeing.

LUDERS
03-30-2012, 07:25 AM
22K coins can vary in colour depending on what the gold is alloyed with. Krugs tend to be quite orange as they use copper. Modern UK coins are quite yellow as they use silver.

use some toothpaste and a light toothbrush and it will shine again

apoch
03-30-2012, 10:30 AM

They are both sovereigns. So should use same mental alloy (should be 11/12 gold + 1/12 copper).
And as I know, most old gold coin use same standard (90% gold + 10 copper)

apoch
03-30-2012, 11:28 AM
use some toothpaste and a light toothbrush and it will shine again

It may make old gold coin shining. But does it make the coin yellow? And more yellow than a new minted Krugerrand (also 11 gold + 1copper)?