PDA

View Full Version : Australian silver dragon. Is it worth $4 premium?

orestrus
05-07-2012, 07:31 PM
My local dealer selling this kilo coin for $1100. Does anyone know the mintage of this issue? Any opinion regarding the future appreciation of this coin? I noticed that yr 2000 dragons go for double of the current spot price.. Can we expect a similar move here? Thanks!!

Holdfast
05-07-2012, 07:57 PM
The 2012 Australian Lunar Year of the Dragon 1kg Silver Bullion Coin has an unlimited mintage. (Perth can mint as many as they like)

The mintage for the Series II Lunar kilogram coins will not be known until the series has ended with the 2019 coin.

Mintage details!
https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=97013

Treat all Series II Kilo coins as bullion.

Havijng said that, if you do buy a dragon coin, try to select perfect coins in capsules that aren't scratched.

Perth are currently selling the kilo dragon straight from the mint for $1033.42 AUD but they can be picked up cheaper than that.

2008 Year of the Mouse
2009 Year of the Ox
2010 Year of the Tiger
2011 Year of the Rabbit
2012 Year of the Dragon
2013 Year of the Snake
2014 Year of the Horse
2015 Year of the Goat
2016 Year of the Monkey
2017 Year of the Rooster
2018 Year of the Dog
2019 Year of the Pig

AgAuCaliente
05-07-2012, 08:06 PM
They are awesome. I'd say definitely worth the extra ~$120.

peanut905
05-07-2012, 08:11 PM
my 10oz dragon arrived today, i am very happy with it. I can't wait to finish my set with a 1 kilo :).

Cheers

Chris C
05-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Kitco has them for 1046.....not to shabby

Ideno
05-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Aside from the appreciation potential, the dragon coins are very impressive. I picked a 2 oz one up recently since the premiums on the 1 oz were crazy.

I like the idea of the kilo, but it seems like the form factor would be inconvenient, for storage? Perhaps, just stick it in a picture frame and hang it on the wall.

Holdfast
05-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Aside from the appreciation potential, the dragon coins are very impressive. I picked a 2 oz one up recently since the premiums on the 1 oz were crazy.

I like the idea of the kilo, but it seems like the form factor would be inconvenient, for storage? Perhaps, just stick it in a picture frame and hang it on the wall.

Hi, Ideno

The 2oz is a great coin, great size and good value; I like it and the 5oz but I buy mostly 1oz coins.

The Kilo is quite easy to store.
They don't take up that much room, but...kilo bars are probably easier to stack.

Here's how single Kilo dragons are packaged by The Perth Mint.

H

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab301/MyOrganicGarden/HoldfastCOINS/1KiloLunar%20Dragon/2ba8e4b2.jpg

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab301/MyOrganicGarden/HoldfastCOINS/1KiloLunar%20Dragon/38eb623b.jpg

peanut905
05-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks for posting this Holdfast. Is it true, the only limited mintage dragons are the 1oz with privy and without? Also what is your take on the 2011 10oz Kook.

Holdfast
05-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Thanks for posting this Holdfast. Is it true, the only limited mintage dragons are the 1oz with privy and without? Also what is your take on the 2011 10oz Kook.

Yes, that's correct Mr. peanut905:)

The 2011 10oz Kook had a huge mintage.

2010 - mintage 18,782

2011 - mintage 45,901.:eek:
http://www.perthmint.com.au//documents/The_Australian_Kookaburra_Silver_Bullion_Coin_Seri es_1990_-_2011_Current.pdf

I'd much prefer to have a 10oz Lunar rabbit!:D
http://www.perthmint.com.au//documents/The_Australian_Kookaburra_Silver_Bullion_Coin_Seri es_1990_-_2011_Current.pdf

H

Chris C
05-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Yes, that's correct Mr. peanut905:)

The 2011 10oz Kook had a huge mintage.

2010 - mintage 18,782

2011 - mintage 45,901.:eek:

I'd much prefer to have a 10oz Lunar rabbit!:D

H

Seeking advice from those that know......@PMEX has quite the selection of Dragons, any of the smaller sizes worth adding to the collection???

FelixWankel
05-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Seeking advice from those that know......@PMEX has quite the selection of Dragons, any of the smaller sizes worth adding to the collection???

HI Chris,

I'd pick up a high relief dragon (or a few) while prices are low. Check out the major auction site as well. Prices have come down quite a bit on these and as Holdfast mentioned on the other thread, it is first of the series. There will be a HR snake next year. That should give this one a good boost. Also, know that the HR dragon is the only coin with these dimensions (unlike all the other dragons).

Felix

Chris C
05-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Mucho thanks for the tips

Proof HR cheaper on $bay, Black dragon cheaper slightly elsewhere.

Holdfast
05-17-2012, 12:41 AM

Chris, buying depends on what your sell strategy is.

Do you want to buy the 1/2oz, 1oz and 2oz coins because spot is low or are you hoping they will have numismatic value in the years to come?

If you buy coins, maybe workout all your selling fees first, especially if you decide to sell on auction sites, as the fees and hassel of selling individual coins maay not make it worthwhile in the short term. Maybe as spot rises, you could make a few bucks but....

Have you considered trying to buy other series 2 lunar coins from previous mintages??? Sometimes you may come across a good deal but, like any thing that involves making money, there's no free lunch so you'll have to study what, why and when to buy.

I can say this about the 2012 Silver Dragon Lunar Coins....the mintage is going to be huge for all 1/2, 2oz, 5oz, 10oz and kilo coins so be warned that you may have to rely on spot increasing in price quite a lot because I really don't see a huge premium for the dragon coins in the short term! Longterm yes, especially for the 1oz dragon (300, 000 mintage)...if you can source coins in mint condition and preferably in mint rolls.

As I see it, mint rolls are the best buy because they will contain many MS69 and 70 coins that can be slabbed / graded. If you haven't noticed, more and more coins are being graded, so it's a no brainer to buy rolls.

A few thoughts for you then.

With this dip in the silver price, you may find rolls of 1oz dragons with a mintage of 300,000; you may find 1oz dragons with the Lion Privy that have a mintage of 200,000 (They were the first lunar coin with a privy)

The 1/2oz lunars remain popular with many collectors.

2oz are great coins and also quite popular.

Remember this though when buying....buy the design, not the mintage but if you can buy a popular design that has a low mintage you'll do ok.

Don't over commit your funds, always have spare cash for the home, emergencies etc.

All the best with what ever you decide and of course, I'm bullish on lunar coins, I own them, so DYODD.

James007
05-17-2012, 01:02 AM
Every time I see the topic I get excited.

Chris C
05-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Chris, buying depends on what your sell strategy is.

With this dip in the silver price, you may find rolls of 1oz dragons with a mintage of 300,000; you may find 1oz dragons with the Lion Privy that have a mintage of 200,000 (They were the first lunar coin with a privy)

Remember this though when buying....buy the design, not the mintage but if you can buy a popular design that has a low mintage you'll do ok.

All the best with what ever you decide and of course, I'm bullish on lunar coins, I own them, so DYODD.

Thanks for your insight, most appreciated.

I'm usually a plain ole bullion stacker, the cheaper the better, my favorite size being a kilo....found some kilo dragons from kitco, and when I unpacked them my 9 year old saw them, and loved them. Get more Dragons dad!!!!!

I figure it's a good spot to teach him a little and put some very interesting items aside for him with upside for when he gets older.

I like the idea of rolls, always like bulk, where can they be sourced???

Again, thanks for your time.

Chris C
05-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Forgot one idea to get thoughts on, the 2oz gold size??? Premium on it really not bad.

This one I would probably put away fro myself for future slabbing or use as the sample for my world gold coin collection?

goldfanbrad
05-17-2012, 08:31 PM

I'm usually a plain ole bullion stacker, the cheaper the better, my favorite size being a kilo....found some kilo dragons from kitco, and when I unpacked them my 9 year old saw them, and loved them. Get more Dragons dad!!!!!

I figure it's a good spot to teach him a little and put some very interesting items aside for him with upside for when he gets older.

Just a heads up that Provident has all 2012 Perth mints kilo's on sale for $1.75 over spot until noon on Friday.

Chris C
05-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Just a heads up that Provident has all 2012 Perth mints kilo's on sale for $1.75 over spot until noon on Friday.

Interesting, $30 cheaper on a plain dragon kilo than ^pmex or Kitco, but $600 more expensive on the colorized kilo.

FelixWankel
05-18-2012, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the heads up ;) .

Big Kel
05-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Thanks to Holdfast for all your insite on Lunars. I purchased a few first 1 st release and wanted some of the 2 nd release and asked my Lcs to order me some. When they came in i rushed to get some, the price was $105.00 for a 1 ounce coin. Wow at the time a $70.00 an ounce premium. Dam.I felt I had to buy some, I went to him and told him about them and asked him to bring them in. He never said what they would cost, but spot was @ around $30.00 so how much could they put on top of it...$70.00. So if you can get any get them, I still feel I will make money on these, and a killing on the 2000's .. The Lunar series is the Cleanest,Perfectley stamped piece of art you will ever find..I love all of them..Look out you get hooked ....Good luck...

Holdfast
05-19-2012, 01:06 AM
Thanks Big Kel.

The lunars really have been a huge hit and it's nice to know that Perth will be keeping the lunar mintage for the 1oz coins at 300,000????. Those dragons you have are an amazing coin and they'll be collectable for many years to come.

After the rush for precious metals in the 1980's there was a huge new number of collectors that continued to collect coins; I think we'll see the same thing happen in the years ahead, so buying bullion coins that have collector appeal should make for good profits in the future.

A word of caution though.

The coins are classified as bullion coins and although they do have collector appeal, remember that Perth can change policies quickly. Just yesterday, I noticed on the Perth Mint Blog site that they are going to increase the mintage limit of the 2013 - 1oz silver Kookaburra to 1,000,000 (one million) coins; that's up from 500,000 for the 2012 Kook (Sold-out).
http://www.perthmintbullion.com/au/Blog/Blog.aspx

The 2013 Kook is going to be released mid August 2012.

The new 2013 Lunar snake will probably be released in September 2012

H

Holdfast
05-19-2012, 01:29 AM

Chris, sorry I missed your post.

I don't know where you are from so.........

You can source the coins, directly from the Perth Mint but they are expensive unless you buy in bulk and there's a heap of aweful paper-work due to Australia's Anti Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing regulations, so that might not be a good option.

Perth has a large distribution of wholesalers that can be found here:
http://www.perthmintbullion.com/au/About-The-Perth-Mint/Our-Distributors.aspx

Kitco is often over-looked; they sell Lunars, Kookburra's and Koala coins although I'm not sure of the sizes and availability.

H

Chris C
05-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Chris, sorry I missed your post.

I don't know where you are from so.........

You can source the coins, directly from the Perth Mint but they are expensive unless you buy in bulk and there's a heap of aweful paper-work due to Australia's Anti Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing regulations, so that might not be a good option.

Perth has a large distribution of wholesalers that can be found here:
http://www.perthmintbullion.com/au/About-The-Perth-Mint/Our-Distributors.aspx

Kitco is often over-looked; they sell Lunars, Kookburra's and Koala coins although I'm not sure of the sizes and availability.

H

You Sir are a wealth of info, thanks much.

I am in the US, Massachusetts in the North East, got an order of colorized 2012 Dragons in yesterday, kilo, 10 and 5 oz, son was very happy.

Found some rolls on the worldwide auction site, 100 for about $5500, almost doesn't seem to bad. Now I just need $5500 !!!!