View Full Version : method for deciding which product to buy

Vangruv
08-23-2010, 12:17 PM
At my local dealer, the sell price to buy price ratio for gold is:

1 oz maples: 94.7%
1 oz bars: 96.5%
1/2 oz maples: 89.06%
Australian Phil and Roo: 93.3%

Is it not obvious, then, that I should be buying 1oz bars? 2% difference is a lot.

Any other views on that?

Just want to see if I'm missing something.

IndianGoldEagle
08-23-2010, 01:19 PM
At my local dealer, the sell price to buy price ratio for gold is:

1 oz maples: 94.7%
1 oz bars: 96.5%
1/2 oz maples: 89.06%
Australian Phil and Roo: 93.3%

Is it not obvious, then, that I should be buying 1oz bars? 2% difference is a lot.

Any other views on that?

Just want to see if I'm missing something.

Shopping price is fine. But also look at what is easiest and commands the largest premium when it comes time to sell.

nuts4gold
08-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Yes agree with IndianGE what is easiest to sell...

Gert_Ryc
08-23-2010, 01:41 PM
It's a great way to choose among which coin to buy.

But a coin and a bar are not the same IMO. I prefer coins.

Auric6
08-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Who knows what the premium, if any, will be when you sell. Unless I am buying numi, I go for the lowest price per TOz as long as it is a widely traded form. PAMP bars, IMO, are as beautiful, reliable, and hard to counterfit as any coin.

Kir Janja
08-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Yes agree with IndianGE what is easiest to sell...

Did anyone ever have a real problem selling 1 ounce bar to his dealer (presumably the same one he bought it from)?

If not, then lowest spread seems to be way to go, unless one prefers the hassle of fleebay selling? :confused:

nuts4gold
08-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Did anyone ever have a real problem selling 1 ounce bar to his dealer (presumably the same one he bought it from)?

If not, then lowest spread seems to be way to go, unless one prefers the hassle of fleebay selling? :confused:

I believe some are concerned about barter systems post collapse well know coins will be easier to sell than unknown bars...

GoldDude
08-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I mostly buy AGE and gold Buffalos because I live in the U.S. and believe them to be the most recognizable and liquid within the borders.

However, my wife is of Chinese descent and them Asians love their gold, especially the .999 variety Pamp and Credit Suisse types. I can go to a Chinese or Vietnamese jewelry shop and easily buy/sell the 1 oz bars/ignots within smaller spreads than any online site or typical dealer. Cash only.

Kir Janja
08-23-2010, 04:50 PM
I believe some are concerned about barter systems post collapse well know coins will be easier to sell than unknown bars...

I forgot about that one, it is usually reserved for SAE. :)

ironvic
08-23-2010, 05:06 PM
I tend to favor the GAE and Maple Leaf, and the occasional Krug. Times are tight, so I tend to go for 1/10th ouncers. Just saw my first 1/4 OZT gold Brittania today, and, boy-what a honey! Really had to resist the impulse and walk out with a tenth Eagle instead.

Vangruv
08-23-2010, 05:07 PM
I'm not too concerned about a barter collapse scenario. I have silver coins and some 1 oz maples. Mostly thinking of investment.

ziff2x
08-23-2010, 05:11 PM
I mostly buy AGE and gold Buffalos because I live in the U.S. and believe them to be the most recognizable and liquid within the borders.

However, my wife is of Chinese descent and them Asians love their gold, especially the .999 variety Pamp and Credit Suisse types. I can go to a Chinese or Vietnamese jewelry shop and easily buy/sell the 1 oz bars/ignots within smaller spreads than any online site or typical dealer. Cash only.

Same here. Vietnamese people understand the value of gold. My local has an incredible inventory of gold, not a drop of silver in the whole place, because its not valued. Never hesitates to trade gold coins or jewelry. He is happy to take those asian gold coins Americans seem to avoid. I sold him a few non sealed pandas and traded one 1989 panda for a 2006 -W proof buffalo in OGM packaging with COA he had no interest in. His customers prefer Pandas.
Ive let him know that I will trade him for all those unwanted proof american coins he gets and to just give me a call when he gets them...