PDA

View Full Version : Current gold fetish: 1/4 oz eagles and First Spouse

goldenthusiast
10-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Every 1/4 oz eagle I can find in local shops, I buy as long as premium isn't too terribly high. There is something about that coin. It's my current fav.

Also the first spouse. I've purchased 4 of them at spot plus $20 per coin, which is a great deal of course. I think someday premiums will be high. I just don't see many available in shops.

I used to marvel at 1/2 oz maples but those days are over.

Yield2Greatness
10-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Every 1/4 oz eagle I can find in local shops, I buy as long as premium isn't too terribly high. There is something about that coin. It's my current fav.

Also the first spouse. I've purchased 4 of them at spot plus $20 per coin, which is a great deal of course. I think someday premiums will be high. I just don't see many available in shops.

I used to marvel at 1/2 oz maples but those days are over.

I like 1/4 ounce eagles also. But I only purchase them to make the $1500 limit so I don't have to pay any sales tax.

HighInBC
10-27-2010, 03:19 PM
The first spouse coins are a cheap way to get gold, but they are not the nicest coin to look at. I don't want to say they are ugly, but in my eyes they are(not the first spouses, but the coins).

The A*X generic 1/4oz coins are very good gold, and are very recognisable.

I like the pandas and maples as well. For some reason I don't like the alloyed fractionals, not sure why.

airbil
10-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Most first spouse coins are indeed, uhmm ... seemingly ugly gals.
That said the current (non) spouse de jour is Buchanan's Lady Liberty.
These pics don't come close to doing them justice. Proof and Uncirculated; they both look awesome IMHO.
http://catalog.usmint.gov/wcsstore/ConsumerDirect/images/catalog/en_US/X66_popup.jpg
http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=16382&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=46002

PSUDave
10-27-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm a huge fan of quarters also. Spouses on the other hand do nothing for me.

flying
10-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Have to agree...
I have a couple of quarters & always thought they would make nice jewelry

Like a pendant on a nice chain.