PDA

View Full Version : Was silver ever worth more than Gold?

litemine
11-06-2010, 10:39 AM
I have a bet going, I bet no, never was silver worth more than gold,
thanks but require proof.

litemine
11-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Trying to settle a bet, If there is proof ,please forward.

silverjjtfg
11-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Silver is worth more than gold now ... just people dont know it yet :D

What about if you were being attacked by a werewolf? in that case silver would be worth more than gold in that situation.

To answer your question, i dont think so but i dont really know

minermite
11-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Is this any use ?

http://www.sharelynx.com/chartsfixed/600yearsilver.gif

HighInBC
11-06-2010, 02:12 PM
If you want to make a really good antenna in a small space silver is worth more than gold. If you want to make a highly reflective surface then silver is worth more than gold. If you want to make medical equipment that has built in anti-bacterial properties then silver is worth more than gold.

If you want money then gold is always worth more than silver.

I guess it comes down to what you mean by "worth".

AgStax
11-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Is this any use ?

http://www.sharelynx.com/chartsfixed/600yearsilver.gif

Wow... what caused the G/S spike around 1864? This chart is really interesting.

AgStax
11-06-2010, 02:29 PM
It seems the G/S ratio starts to rise around the industrial revolution, which seems counterintuitive since silver has many industrial uses.

BOiPiNOi604
11-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Silver is worth more than gold because we use it for everything

About AG
11-06-2010, 02:32 PM

Comstock Lode. Lots of silver came onto the market.

silvereye
11-06-2010, 02:35 PM
If you have a bet going you may not want to read this.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/silver.htm

SE

HighInBC
11-06-2010, 02:52 PM
If you have a bet going you may not want to read this.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/silver.htm

SE

It makes a lot of sense that in ancients times gold was more available, you cannot walk to the river and find silver nuggets after all. Once we figured out how to get silver out of the ground though gold was king.

jayjay
11-06-2010, 03:35 PM
I spent almost an hour researching this and could find no information that would sway either of you to the others claim.

Gold is thought to have been involved with humans about 40,000 years ago. Silver only 5,000 years or so. Gold had no barter value at first, but was a curiosity because of its weight and shine. A previous post has a link that indicates gold was used as a form of exchange by the ancient Egyptians about 6,500 years ago.

My interpretation of my research is this: When first used by humankind, gold and silver were equally admired and sought after, but for different reasons. Where silver and gold were used as a medium of exchange, gold always held sway over silver.

Disclaimer: I didn't record the sites of my travels through the Internet, since I did it for my own curiosity and not as formal research.

Rammstein
11-06-2010, 07:48 PM
As a baby Napoleon had an aluminum rattle... At the time worth more than gold or silver... Might try late 18th Century outside the western world- when ratio's might have been thought to be different than what went into the US Constitution (15:1). R.

djwayne
11-06-2010, 08:06 PM
I buy silver, I don't buy gold, Why ?? Because gold costs too much for me.

One ounce of silver is about what $26.50 now, vrs $1,370+ and ounce for gold ?? I can't afford to spend the $1,300+ for one ounce of anything. So I buy silver because I can afford it,ssssoooooo silver is worth more than gold to me.

They might as well price gold at $10,000 an ounce, it wouldn't matter because I can't afford it. And don't give me the spiel about fractionals, I've heard it all before, I don't want to buy a vial of gold dust or tiny gold coins.

So in my case, silver is worth more as gold has priced itself out of my reach.

moonstears
11-06-2010, 08:46 PM
That's exactly why I buy silver, not because I can't afford gold, though it is pricy at $1300+, but because at some point MOST people will be priced out. Even at $250 silver looks like better value to the average working (or not so working..are you reading this DC?) stiff than gold for the money(5.5 oz Silver to 1 gold at that point)-Good point and good post.

Gold Standard
11-06-2010, 09:00 PM
The answer is yes but in just one particular location for a specific period of time. Egypt under the pharaohs had ready access to gold but not silver. Silver was more highly valued in Egypt - say prior to 500 BC. I doubt if they expressed matters in terms of the ratios we are so accustomed to using. Silver was just more prized.

torpedoman
11-06-2010, 09:15 PM

small thing caused people to convert silver to gold because of the ease of hiding it and transporting it. Called the civil war.

Copperhead
11-06-2010, 09:19 PM
I don't know if silver was ever worth more than gold, but prior to the discovery of silver in the new world it had a much higher ratio with gold.

Stang
11-06-2010, 09:25 PM
I buy silver, I don't buy gold, Why ?? Because gold costs too much for me.

One ounce of silver is about what $26.50 now, vrs $1,370+ and ounce for gold ?? I can't afford to spend the $1,300+ for one ounce of anything. So I buy silver because I can afford it,ssssoooooo silver is worth more than gold to me.

They might as well price gold at $10,000 an ounce, it wouldn't matter because I can't afford it. And don't give me the spiel about fractionals, I've heard it all before, I don't want to buy a vial of gold dust or tiny gold coins.

So in my case, silver is worth more as gold has priced itself out of my reach.

Great point and I think in consideration of the economic situation we are in growth Silver may be more valuable than gold when in the sense of Return on Investment (ROI) and when the mass public buying comes into play which may be closer that we think;)

Element 79
11-06-2010, 09:37 PM
You'd have to back a long time, but the Ancient Egyptians considered silver to be higher than gold in value.

djwayne
11-06-2010, 09:45 PM
I think I read somewhere that American Indians considered silver the more desirable metal. To them Silver is their "gold." This is why you'll find a lot of Indian jewelery made with silver.

marklarpants
11-06-2010, 09:48 PM
read marco polo, silver was more valuable in some areas because there was ALOT of gold and very little silver.

edit: the gold/silver ratio varied from place to place.

Cynthialee
11-06-2010, 10:11 PM
.....only in a wearwolf movie
:D

bambipower
11-07-2010, 06:52 AM
translated from german to english :

Amazingly. Historical Silver: among the ancient Greeks (500 BC) to about 1860 (from then on the dilution of almost pure EM currencies began with paper money) can show you that a base salary (farm workers or something similar) in silver from 2.5 to 5 grams a day was. Only in times of war, famine, or special situations (in EM-find areas such as South America, Spanish), etc. This differs significantly from the top or bottom. Often the Grundmünzeinheiten in silver were matched to the sum (equal to or slightly less than a day's wages)

Examples: - ancient Greek drachma 4.2 grams silver (in Athens one day craft wage)
- Antique full-fledged Roman denarius 4.5 grams silver ( Augustus at a legionary pay per day)
- Denar Charlemagne 1.7 grams silver (bad times with little EM)
- the penny in 1300 = 4 g of silver (as Gros tournois, Prague penny, Grosso Milanese so long time between 3 and 4 gr silver)
- in France under Louis XIII. XIV and the 5 Sou
- 2.3 grams silver coins (wage rural workers / day about 1610-1670)
- later in France the 10 Sou coins about 3 grams (1700-1720)
- the French franc 4.5 grams of fine silver (a farm worker earned in 1800 but also 1880 1 franc a day where the farm workers in 1800 had more of it)
- the English shillings from 16 5-6 gr-century silver
- the German Reich Mark 5 grams of fine silver So if in a functioning economy with EM about 4 grams silver = a basic daily wage (perhaps 30-50 = € today) is credited, probably broadly right. Only after the collapse, we will have no longer functioning EM system (as described above is probably the beginning of much too little to be in circulation), so that even some time vieliecht with basic daily wage of 1 g silver (or even less ) has to cope. As for the value of gold, this is probably somewhere in between 1:5 and 1:20 are more valuable than silver. People get used to you is to such wages. EM investors except with ample reserves.

http://www.vkblog.nl/bericht/352097/Historische_zilverwaarden.

minermite
11-07-2010, 07:09 AM
small thing caused people to convert silver to gold because of the ease of hiding it and transporting it. Called the civil war.

That and the british had been paying for imports in silver and receiving gold for exports. Allegedly. They ran out of silver, apparently, and gold became the defacto standard. I'm sure the usual suspects had a hand in the transition.

Ag gnostic
11-08-2010, 09:12 AM
I have a bet going, I bet no, never was silver worth more than gold,
thanks but require proof.

Tell him you meant platinum, not gold.