PDA

View Full Version : What a Joke -- 2010 ASE Proofs

lubah
11-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Greetings from the United States Mint.
Thank you for ordering from the United States Mint.
We regret to inform you that the item(s) listed below
are currently sold out. A customer service representative
will be happy to assist you in finding an alternative item.

Order # 356xxxxx - 1

Item: PS1 Qty: 10
2010 AE SILVER PRF 1 OZ

This is a system generated e-mail. Please do not reply.
If you have questions, please visit the Help page at
http://catalog.usmint.gov or call us at 1-800-USA-MINT.

Greenback
11-11-2010, 09:21 AM
I suppose we should be greatful they are even making them now :rolleyes:

It's frustrating because I see the other mints around the world kick out some really nice looking coins. And when the mint gets it right it really gets it right (Buffalo Gold coins, ASEs, AGE, ATB 5oz silver coins ). But then you get delays, bad customer care sometimes, ect.... And when they get a coin wrong, wow it is wrong...

I would rather deal with the secondary market for these coins, and I would want a coin like this graded anyway.

dafreak
11-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Proofs are not even available yet. Not sure what you are talking about.

Johnnyzed
11-11-2010, 09:37 AM
On the other hand, 2010 may be a very low proof mintage year for those that had orders in early. My email from the mint:

Greetings from the United States Mint.
We regret to inform you that the item(s) listed below
are currently on backorder. Please expect your item(s)
to arrive within the timeframe listed below.
Track your order at http://catalog.usmint.gov
Thanks again for shopping with the United States Mint.

Order #: 35706986 - X
Sold To : XXXXX
Ship To : XXXXX
Item: MNF Qty: X Exp Ship: 11/20/10
A.E. SILVER PROOF

Johnnyzed
11-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Track Order

Where's my order? If your order is shipped, click the handy link to your shipment carrier to track it to your door. Otherwise, see which items are being processed.

If items in your order are backordered, you may cancel them by selecting the checkbox and clicking "Cancel Item(s)."To learn more about order status, please visit our Track Order FAQ #36 page

Order number: 35706986

Order Date:

Order Status: Your order request has been cancelled.

Tracking Number(s):
Tracking number and carrier link
not available for this shipment.

Product Name Quantity Price
(each) Total Item Status

2010 AE SILVER PRF 1 OZ 1 $45.95 $45.95 Item is no longer available.

dafreak
11-11-2010, 10:07 AM
2010 American Eagle One Ounce Silver Proof Coin (PS1)
Price: $45.95 Remind Me?
This product will be available for sale
on November 19, 2010 at 12:00 Noon (ET).

lee8751
11-11-2010, 10:22 AM
I just called the mint to see what was up because I have a subscription for 5 of the proofs. I had a confirmation number for my automatic subscription. The gal at the mint order desk said the cancellation notice that was sent was a mistake. My order is still going to be processed. Computer glizz she said. That is one good thing about the subscriptions I don't need to rely on getting on the phone as soon as the order date opens to the public.

airbil
11-11-2010, 10:27 AM
I just called the mint to see what was up because I have a subscription for 5 of the proofs. I had a confirmation number for my automatic subscription. The gal at the mint order desk said the cancellation notice that was sent was a mistake. My order is still going to be processed. Computer glizz she said. That is one good thing about the subscriptions I don't need to rely on getting on the phone as soon as the order date opens to the public.

Ditto. If I look at the order in my acct. it says canceled 5 Nov.
Yet, I received an email saying they are shipping 20 Nov.
I'll go with that and hope they show. I'll bet they're beauties:)
Let's see... these will be a hundred fiat on the bay instantly eh? ;)

chrisiden
11-11-2010, 10:41 AM
those are nice proofs and i think will be very very valuable due to low mintage

silvermex
11-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Im not sure that is correct I think I read that subscriptions would not go in until the first day of sale, so tecnicaly you cant buy it before the 19 of Nov, unless your cc has been charged then you have secured your order

lee8751
11-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Im not sure that is correct I think I read that subscriptions would not go in until the first day of sale, so tecnicaly you cant buy it before the 19 of Nov, unless your cc has been charged then you have secured your order

I agree it can't be bought before the release date but with the click of a button all the subcriptions will be reserved on that date and hour. How else can I have a confirmation number already.

JackSilver
11-11-2010, 04:15 PM
I just called the mint to see what was up because I have a subscription for 5 of the proofs. I had a confirmation number for my automatic subscription. The gal at the mint order desk said the cancellation notice that was sent was a mistake. My order is still going to be processed. Computer glizz she said. That is one good thing about the subscriptions I don't need to rely on getting on the phone as soon as the order date opens to the public. That's good to know. Thanks for calling. I recieved the same "back order" then the "sold out" notice myself regarding my subscription.

torpedoman
11-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Feel free to call their customer service number (answered by people with heavy foreign accents) Then wonder why America has an unemployment problem when even government agencies are shipping work to india. But then obama only said he would create jobs never said were they would be.

John_in_NC
11-11-2010, 07:01 PM
why are you buying 10 of them? Huge premium on those.
Might want to grab a 2011 Silver Timberwolf, a Silver Isle of Man, and a Kookabura in the meantime until the proofs come out.

lubah
11-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Dear United States Mint Customer,

On Wednesday, November 10, 2010, The United States Mint sent email
notifications out to customers notifying them that some backordered and
subscription items were canceled. This was an error. We are diligently
working on a resolution to this issue.

We sincerely apologize for the confusion and inconvenience this may
have caused.

United States Mint
Customer Service Center

lubah
11-12-2010, 08:00 AM
why are you buying 10 of them? Huge premium on those.
Might want to grab a 2011 Silver Timberwolf, a Silver Isle of Man, and a Kookabura in the meantime until the proofs come out.

started a collection for the kids, neices, nephews, new babies, christmas, etc... so I need 10!!

helopilot
11-12-2010, 08:34 AM
I agree it can't be bought before the release date but with the click of a button all the subcriptions will be reserved on that date and hour. How else can I have a confirmation number already.

2010 subscription is no longer available. 2011 ASE is next subscription available. If you want one now, you have to manually order on or after 19 Nov. I get at least one every year and more for gifts as they are beautiful coins.

lee8751
11-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Did I hear right that there are only 100,000 being mint? I thought that I read that some where.

jpaulgor
11-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Did I hear right that there are only 100,000 being mint? I thought that I read that some where.

There are only 100,000 of each 5 oz. coin. Not too sure of the mintage on the proofs.

James007
11-12-2010, 12:04 PM
to order a couple of those?

Jimdepot
11-13-2010, 08:57 AM
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o298/jimdepot/Capture3.jpg

Fixed this morning. :)

proudpapa56
11-13-2010, 11:41 AM
There are already 222 listings on the bay for presale / bid / buy-it-now 2010 proof SAEs.

airbil
11-15-2010, 03:18 PM
I received two cancellation emails and then two apology emails from the mint stating that it was a mistake and the order is still in process.:confused:
I called this morning and a recording machine said it's all still good.
Is it? Isn't it? I don't really care.
After traveling via Amtrak this weekend, the mint just reminds me how great health care is about to become.
For sure the mint is not breaking even. Anyone who has returned a coin, or replaced and reordered a coin can probably attest to how confused they can get themselves using their own guidelines.
Anyone here ever have a friend that got a free coin or two courtesy of mint incompetence?

airbil
11-16-2010, 11:41 PM
xx " units backordered. Expected to ship on 12/01/2010"

So.... there is hope. Seems there's a $20 + premium on the bay.
If I ever get 'em, will stack 'em. Or; holiday gift 'em.:D

jpaulgor
11-19-2010, 12:16 PM
US Mint is getting HAMMERED right now. I am sure it is everyone trying to buy the 2010 proof. I have been trying to complete my order since 11:00am and it is now 11:15. Keep getting timed out. I may not get an order through before they are sold out.

silvermex
11-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Im also having trouble cant get the order checked out, its only added to cart :mad:

AdamsSamoa
11-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Took me about an hour.... I got mine.

ds4081
11-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah Site is terribly slow, but I was able to place my order for two of them.

Johnnyzed
11-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Yeah, it was a pain to get the order through, so must be a large volume. On a side note maybe you should think about doing the subscriptions. I already have mine in for 2011. I hope they sell the uncirculated one in 2011 from the US Mint site, they are priced at $25.95, but I am sure they can raise the price if needed.

OutGold
11-19-2010, 01:39 PM
I've been trying, can't even get the site top open.

Johnnyzed
11-19-2010, 01:42 PM
I have not received my email receipt notification yet, so order isn't valid until I get that, if I read the online recipt correctly.

Orders are not valid until accepted by the United States Mint.

SILVERSURVEYOR
11-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Im in the same boat, placed my order, but have not been notified by e-mail as of yet. It took me about 45 mins. to get it all ordered. Put in an order for 10, keep my fingers crossed.

silvermex
11-19-2010, 02:06 PM
order finally went in :D

Legio Patria Nostra
11-19-2010, 02:26 PM
I don't get it .
Got on at 2.17 ( looked at the clock ) ... placed order .... I'm posting now ...at 2.25 ....
Let's wait for e-mail confirmation ...

OutGold
11-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Finally got my order in for two, 5 trys later.

We'll see if I get my email confirmation.

SkinsFan0521
11-19-2010, 02:42 PM
I don't get it .
Got on at 2.17 ( looked at the clock ) ... placed order .... I'm posting now ...at 2.25 ....
Let's wait for e-mail confirmation ...
Yeah, I went on there and went most of the way through the process very quickly, then decided that I didn't actually want any anyway. lol

My plan was to buy some (10-20) and flip them, but it looks like the profit will be minimal at best so I decided against the purchase.

Legio Patria Nostra
11-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I went on there and went most of the way through the process very quickly, then decided that I didn't actually want any anyway. lol

My plan was to buy some (10-20) and flip them, but it looks like the profit will be minimal at best so I decided against the purchase.

Well the idea is good ...but as you said , an direct flip will most likely have very little or no return ...
I place my bet on following : Since the US Mint did not produce the proof version in 2009 because of the high demand in straight bullion ....
There is actualy more demand for straight bullion this year .... and I hope even more next year ...since more and more people are trying to find a safe-guard for their paper-money ....chances are ( at least I hope ) that this could be the last year that the US Mint is able to produce the proof-version ...That would increase the value .... In that case I have some of the first year of release ...and ...last year of release...will make a nice couple !

Johnnyzed
11-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Woot. I am speculating a bit that 2010 may be the lowest proof coinage of the ASE so far. That could command a decent premium. Guess we won't know until they publish the official numbers.

get N set
11-19-2010, 04:01 PM
These proofs are really beautiful coins.

I was on the US Mint site promptly at noon ET.

I ordered a few as trinkets for the kids and me. (They seemed to like the ones from earlier years.)

Got the email confirmation a short time later.

I don't care about short term exchange rates between FRNs and silver coins - my purpose is to spark an interest in real money in young adults.

SecretGoldfish
11-19-2010, 05:27 PM
i either ordered 4 or 8 . . . not sure which! that website is a little archaic.

we'll see what shows up i guess

i'm not a big 'proofs' fan in general, but i'll roll the dice on these. i can see demand for these being fairly high

Johnnyzed
11-19-2010, 05:29 PM
i either ordered 4 or 8 . . . not sure which! that website is a little archaic.

we'll see what shows up i guess

i'm not a big 'proofs' fan in general, but i'll roll the dice on these. i can see demand for these being fairly high

You should get a confirmation email which should tell you how many you bought.

SkinsFan0521
11-19-2010, 05:42 PM
I changed my mind and bought 20 of them. Hopefully there will be a nice premium on them soon. Even if the prices stay the same ($60-$65 on eBay), it's basically a 10% return (after fees). So, as long as the prices don't go down, I'll make $100. haha

Brother Jim
11-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Never got a confirm email. When I log in, Item Status says "In Stock and Reserved". Hmmm....

I bought 10 of them not to flip or as an investment but as gifts for family members. I'll keep 1 for my ASE Proof collection, and probably one or two more just to have, but I don't consider proof coins an investment. I just love how beautiful they are, and I consider the ASE the most beautiful coin ever minted. And yes, I have an ultra-high relief goldie from last year, which is indeed beautiful, but I'm just partial to ASEs.

Bought two AGEs on Wednesday and picked them up today, but silver is where my heart lies. It's good to have a mix, but now that I've added a little to the gold stack I'm in silver for the long term. The proofs just show how beautiful PMs can be.

Spanky
11-19-2010, 06:44 PM
You should get a confirmation email which should tell you how many you bought.

got the confirmation and order number...watch, they'll be available on fleebay for $24.95 in 2 Months..tricked again!

flhtquick
11-19-2010, 07:18 PM
i bought 10 and thinking of more. anyone buying alot?

Johnnyzed
11-19-2010, 07:19 PM
i bought 10 and thinking of more. anyone buying alot?

Not sure how they can enforce this, but I thought they put a buy limit of 100 per person.

ncdirtdigger
11-19-2010, 09:21 PM
It was a wait today to get your order through, I was online at 12:00 sharp and finally got my confirmation at around 1:10. I am of the opinion that by this time next year, spot will be higher than the retail I paid for these proofs.

PSUDave
11-19-2010, 09:37 PM
I was going to order a few of these, but looks like the ASE proof market is pretty dead. Just look at the '08, that had the mintage that ended somewhere around Sept. They were once going for $70-80, just checked the bay, and looks like you can get one for $50-55.

Lookinfordeals
11-19-2010, 09:57 PM
I was going to order a few of these, but looks like the ASE proof market is pretty dead. Just look at the '08, that had the mintage that ended somewhere around Sept. They were once going for $70-80, just checked the bay, and looks like you can get one for $50-55.

So buy em' and flip em' quick. Saw some pre sales on the bay going for almost double the price of the mint.

PSUDave
11-19-2010, 10:02 PM
So buy em' and flip em' quick. Saw some pre sales on the bay going for almost double the price of the mint.

That's the key word there. Should be one in a blue moon. Most are going for $50-60. Take out fees and all the other costs and you got a couple bucks if that. Not worth the hassle.

SecretGoldfish
11-19-2010, 10:23 PM
let's see what the mintage number is first . . . you never know

buy them because you like them, is the best rule of thumb. the rest is gravy

Johnnyzed
11-20-2010, 02:43 AM
So why would people buy the ASE proof off of ebay as a pre-order when they can buy from the mint for less? If you are going to sell them, wait until they aren't available from the mint, then offer them for sale.

I just don't understand people.

petean88
11-20-2010, 02:56 AM
So why would people buy the ASE proof off of ebay as a pre-order when they can buy from the mint for less? If you are going to sell them, wait until they aren't available from the mint, then offer them for sale.

Because its only available to US household if you want to buy from the mint. Plenty of collectors outside of US wants to buy too, so pre-order in the grey market is the only way to go.

makav31i
11-20-2010, 06:23 AM
Because its only available to US household if you want to buy from the mint. Plenty of collectors outside of US wants to buy too, so pre-order in the grey market is the only way to go.

Not true..i have purchased from the mint before and I am from Singapore and I managed to order without any problems...

silver_schlub
11-20-2010, 06:30 AM
I bought a couple yesterday. The traffic on the mint's website was horrible. I got disconnected mid order about 3 times. Then finally got through and placed my order. I still don't have an email confirmation that they even got my order and my bank account has not been charged yet.

petean88
11-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Not true..i have purchased from the mint before and I am from Singapore and I managed to order without any problems...

That's great. I will put in some orders too. :)

PSUDave
11-20-2010, 09:40 AM

I never understood that either. Happens with everything. But that's today's society, not the brightest.

ZeroSum
11-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Ordered two. One for me, and one as a Christmas present for my dad. I'm not worried about what the price does. 10 oz. bars are for investing in the market. My slabbed and proof coins are for my great great grandchildren. These will go into the safe next to my great great grandfather's gold pocket watch.

SecretGoldfish
11-20-2010, 01:32 PM
how much for the watch?

ZeroSum
11-20-2010, 03:12 PM
how much for the watch?

You'll have to bid for it on eBay :D

airbil
11-22-2010, 01:36 PM
"We shipped the items listed below today.
Thank you for shopping at the United States Mint Online."

That said, the supplied UPS number is not yet tracking.
I'm liking silver more and more:D
http://tinyurl.com/2ed4mx6

Legio Patria Nostra
11-22-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm still waiting to recieve the order confirmation of the Mint
Anyone recieved his confirmation ?

SecretGoldfish
11-22-2010, 03:52 PM
yes, i got mine a few hours after ordering

Legio Patria Nostra
11-22-2010, 08:08 PM
I called them .... Told the lady that I had not recieved my confirmation yet ...
Her respons ... They had a problem with follow-ups ..and orders did not get processed .... She asked me to replace the order or was willing to do it on the phone ....
Did place a new order on-line , recieved confirmation 30 minutes later .

In short ... If you have not recieved your order-confirmation yet ... call the mint .... be patient ...might take a while before you get to speak to someone ... you most likely have to place a new order !

What a mess ! ... Tax-payer dollars at work ....here is your sign !

laredo7mm
11-22-2010, 08:21 PM
...What a mess ! ... Tax-payer dollars at work ....here is your sign !

The US Mint has been running in the black since at least 2000. Better than most government and other private/public sector businesses can say.

makav31i
11-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Someone on the *bay is pre-selling NGC PF-70 ER 2010 SAE...what if there is a delay on the mint side in shipping this coins...oh well from what i heard,some people already have gotten their coins...So any fellow here who have already got the coin?still waiting for mine...looks like I have to purchase the ER PF-70 on the bay...

ZeroSum
11-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Website was saying "available for shipping 12/07/2010." Now it's saying 11/23/2010. Sweet ;)

ZeroSum
11-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Someone on the *bay is pre-selling NGC PF-70 ER 2010 SAE...what if there is a delay on the mint side in shipping this coins...oh well from what i heard,some people already have gotten their coins...So any fellow here who have already got the coin?still waiting for mine...looks like I have to purchase the ER PF-70 on the bay...

Only PF-70's (or any proofs) I saw were listed as "presale". i.e., the seller has ordered a bunch of proof SAEs, which he will ship straight to NGC for grading as soon as he receives them. He will then cross his fingers and hope that enough of them come back as PF-70's to meet his orders.

Don't think anyone actually has any of these yet.

airbil
11-22-2010, 11:14 PM
The US Mint has been running in the black since at least 2000. Better than most government and other private/public sector businesses can say.

Are there links to verify this?

laredo7mm
11-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Are there links to verify this?

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/?action=annual_report

Legio Patria Nostra
11-22-2010, 11:38 PM
http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/?action=annual_report

In short ...
The Mint sold more and more bullion over the last 3 years !
The Mint's selling amount went up in dollars over the last 3 years !

The Mint is making less and less profit over the last 3 years !

Here is your sign !

laredo7mm
11-22-2010, 11:53 PM
In short ...
The Mint sold more and more bullion over the last 3 years !
The Mint's selling amount went up in dollars over the last 3 years !

The Mint is making less and less profit over the last 3 years !

Here is your sign !

Here is the math you neglected to do for the last three years...numbers are net profit margin for bullion sales:

2009...1.93%
2008...1.87%
2007...1.26%

I don't see your point, looks like their profit is increasing to me.

jspears87
11-23-2010, 12:47 AM
Soooooooooo....

The proofs are now available. Think I will buy one.

JROCPW
11-23-2010, 01:20 AM
Just ordered mine. I hope the order goes through.

Blue Angel
11-23-2010, 01:44 AM
I have had the subscription plan with the US Mint for the last 6 years or so. When the proof eagles and silver mint sets come out....they are automatically shipped to me in the quantities I indicate. No hassles or having to sit on the phone.

In fact, we got our tracking number yesterday for the 5 proof ASE's we have ordered.....bank statement has already been tapped for the funds, just like it happens every time the stuff comes out that we want.

Legio Patria Nostra
11-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Here is the math you neglected to do for the last three years...numbers are net profit margin for bullion sales:

2009...1.93%
2008...1.87%
2007...1.26%

I don't see your point, looks like their profit is increasing to me.

My point being ... with a real inflation at +/- 5% they should increase at least equal to the inflation number

laredo7mm
11-23-2010, 10:15 AM
My point being ... with a real inflation at +/- 5% they should increase at least equal to the inflation number

No that was not your point, if it was, you would have said it by now. If the percentages I listed above are their profit percentages, wouldn't that already include inflation?

Legio Patria Nostra
11-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Total Dollar Value of sales
2007 : 2.635.4 million
2008 : 2,800.5 million
2009 : 2,912.4 million

Net income ..
2007 : 1,085.6 million
2008 : 806.4 million
2009 : 501.6 million

Sold more ...made less !!! End of story !!!

laredo7mm
11-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Total Dollar Value of sales
2007 : 2.635.4 million
2008 : 2,800.5 million
2009 : 2,912.4 million

Net income ..
2007 : 1,085.6 million
2008 : 806.4 million
2009 : 501.6 million

Sold more ...made less !!! End of story !!!

Sigh, like I said in post #72....Bullion Sales....which makes sence, since the thread topic is SAE Proofs...those are bullion, right?

TideFighter
11-23-2010, 01:49 PM
I just bought 100 Proof ASE from mint. No limits, but January delivery date.
Got shipping reduced to $25.95, instead of $4.95 per.

jspears87
11-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Ordered one last night. Hope I get it.

laredo7mm
11-23-2010, 02:34 PM
I just bought 100 Proof ASE from mint. No limits, but January delivery date.
Got shipping reduced to $25.95, instead of $4.95 per.

Hmmmm, strange. I ordered some for gifts and shipping was $4.95 total for all of them.

I had no issues...placed a phone order and had the email confirmation before I hung up the phone.

SkinsFan0521
11-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Hmmmm, strange. I ordered some for gifts and shipping was $4.95 total for all of them.

I had no issues...placed a phone order and had the email confirmation before I hung up the phone.
Yeah, I ordered 20 and only had $4.95 shipping. Placed my order online and got a confirmation email a couple hours later

JROCPW
11-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Got an order confirmation and receipt, but email also tells me they're back ordered till. 12/30/10! Hope it works out, might have to make yet another unplanned visit to my dealer.

Johnnyzed
11-23-2010, 07:20 PM
On the 2010 ASE proof coin mintage quantities? Estimates?

TideFighter
11-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Full disclosure...some other items ordered with that, but you get the idea (I hope).

ifionlyhadsomegold
11-24-2010, 04:28 AM
Got an order confirmation and receipt, but email also tells me they're back ordered till. 12/30/10! Hope it works out, might have to make yet another unplanned visit to my dealer.

thats not so bad. maybe Ag will be $50/oz. by that time and it will work out to be zero premium.

:D

mike1983
11-24-2010, 07:06 PM
I just ordered a few from the mint right now, no problem. I noticed on the bay that the PR70 one's are selling for double the non-certified ones. Do you think its worth it to send them in for grading once they arrive and hope for so 70's or will I pay all that money for grading and end up with 69's that are not worth anymore? Maybe best to just leave them in the mint packaging and wait a few years, right?