PDA

View Full Version : Orange spots on pure GOLD?

999FINE
11-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Ok i have a question about GOLD

All of my gold has weird orange spots on them. They are very small, and usually each coin/bar has one to two dots on it. The dots are about the size of a bread crumb. Is this normal? is this some form of oxidation, or is this a reaction to when a particular chemical touches gold? are they fake???

I will try to upload a picture of the spots when i get home.

My first ever piece of gold was an engelhard 1 oz bar, it is wrapped in plastic with assay engelhard card. On the back of the gold it is a little orange spot, though it appears as if this package has never been opened... I ignored it initially thinking it was just a stain. Recently i purchased two Gold maples, and low and behold, one of them has a little orange spot, the SAME EXACT COLOR...what is it?:confused:

MyPrecioussss
11-12-2010, 04:14 PM
I heard the maples might get spots, not sure about bar. None of my gold has spots although my brother had a buffalp proof with a spot

999FINE
11-12-2010, 04:18 PM
I heard the maples might get spots, not sure about bar. None of my gold has spots although my brother had a buffalp proof with a spot

Do you know what this is?

MyPrecioussss
11-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Here look at this link at least you should know your gold is prob real:)
http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=572

mkcurtis
11-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Ive got a US Mint Sealed Buffalo with an Orange spot and I also have an Orange spot on a sealed 1oz Umicore bar.

I dont think its anything worry about, Im not an expert so cant tell you what they are but probably an impurity. Various threads in here about Orange spots and I think they appear more often on 24K items than 22K. Maples, bars and Buffs.

My US Eagles, Krugs and Phils are fine. My oldest bullion coin is a 1983 Krug and it looks identical to my 2008 example, they age well!

DragonsChest
11-12-2010, 04:23 PM
They are called "strawberries" and can range from orange to bright red like blood. They are caused by impurities in the air during minting and react depending on storage, most places that mint gold mint other metals and the dust is in the air and gets stamped onto the surface of the bar or coin where it reacts with sulfur and other contaminates in the air.

999FINE
11-12-2010, 04:24 PM

Ive got a US Mint Sealed Buffalo with an Orange spot and I also have an Orange spot on a sealed 1oz Umicore bar.

I dont think its anything worry about, Im not an expert so cant tell you what they are but probably an impurity. Various threads in here about Orange spots and I think they appear more often on 24K items than 22K. Maples, bars and Buffs.

My US Eagles, Krugs and Phils are fine. My oldest bullion coin is a 1983 Krug and it looks identical to my 2008 example, they age well!

Well, thats a relief

999FINE
11-12-2010, 04:25 PM
They are called "strawberries" and can range from orange to bright red like blood. They are caused by impurities in the air during minting and react depending on storage, most places that mint gold mint other metals and the dust is in the air and gets stamped onto the surface of the bar or coin where it reacts with sulfur and other contaminates in the air.

Thank you too:D

Heruur
11-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Copper dust from a dirty minting press, the weight is negligable. Remove with diluted nitric acid or Ferric chloride solution if it bugs you.

MaxGravy
11-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Copper dust from a dirty minting press, the weight is negligable. Remove with diluted nitric acid or Ferric chloride solution if it bugs you.

I tried using acetone and a q-tip to remove a strawberry from a maple leaf. It had no effect whatsoever. Now I just consider it to be a beauty mark. However, the acetone worked great to remove the decals/paint from a painted AGE tenth.

goldenking
11-13-2010, 05:01 PM
:confused: [QUOTE=999FINE;1135935]Ok i have a question about GOLD

All of my gold has weird orange spots on them. They are very small, and usually each coin/bar has one to two dots on it. The dots are about the size of a bread crumb. Is this normal? is this some form of oxidation, or is this a reaction to when a particular chemical touches gold? are they fake???

I will try to upload a picture of the spots when i get home.

My first ever piece of gold was an engelhard 1 oz bar, it is wrapped in plastic with assay engelhard card. On the back of the gold it is a little orange spot, though it appears as if this package has never been opened... I ignored it initially thinking it was just a stain. Recently i purchased two Gold maples, and low and behold, one of them has a little orange spot, the SAME EXACT COLOR...what is it?:confused:

Silvercoin
11-13-2010, 05:56 PM
The official name for such spots are "strawberry spots".

Centaur
11-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Unfortunately these spots are fairly common with certain coins and Mints -- and they shouldn't be! It's poor Quality Control of manufacturing areas and purchased planchets.

A commercial jewelry/coin cleaning 'dip' usually works for me. It's acidic and must be used as prescribed. I only dip the coin... I don't rub with anything (even Q-Tips can produce micro scratches).

And, yes, gold is gold whether spotted or not. But as a buyer I will definitely pass on spotted gold... and, given choices, I'm sure any buyer will.

Johnny Cyty
11-14-2010, 12:56 AM

"While the American Eagle coins do have copper and silver as part of their composition and may develop copper spots in time, the American Buffalo coins and most foreign bullion pieces are of nearly pure gold and will not spot under normal circumstances."

Good article but I have looked at (but refused to buy) several Buffalos with red spots and do have a .999 gold coin with one as well.