PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion. What should a Kook cost?

James007
11-20-2010, 03:39 PM
So I am really happy about the price of kooks. Looks like a starting price of $33.00. What do you think a kook will go for in 6 mos. ? If a experienced kook collector is reading this please talk about individual years also.

HardlyPeeved
11-20-2010, 04:08 PM
The Kooks and Koalas are so pretty.

They shimmer.

I think there will always be a high premium for Kooks and Koalas.

I only have a few of each ...and I treat them with major respect. They are my "artistic" coins...even though they are considered standard coins to most people.
I don't think Kooks and Koalas are numismatic...neigher are they truely "art" coins.
They are somewhere close to being art ... but not art.

I'm not getting any more Silver for a while...but I think you will find many who will buy the Kooks and Koalas for high premium.

I like last year's Koalas better than this year.

Numismatics is the study or collection of currency, including coins, tokens, paper money, and related objects. While numismatists are often characterized as students or collectors of coins, the discipline also includes the broader study of money and other payment media used to resolve debts and the exchange of goods. Lacking a structured monetary system, people in the past lived in a barter society and used locally found items of inherent or implied value. A few people today still use bartering in absence of a monetary system. Early money used by people is referred to as "Odd and Curious", but the use of other goods in barter exchange is excluded, even where used as a circulating currency (e.g., cigarettes in prison). The Kyrgyz people used horses as the principal currency unit and gave small change in lambskins. The lambskins may be suitable for numismatic study, but the horse is not. Many objects have been used for centuries, such as cowry shells, precious metals and gems.

I'm a newbie on these coins.

PSUDave
11-20-2010, 04:22 PM
I need 2 more 1 oz kooks to complete the set, '99 and '97. 6 more 2 oz. for a set. The most recent 1 ozers I bought have run me around $40. :eek: 1999 is giving me the most trouble finding one at a reasonable price. Now, question is, do I put them all into a Dansco?

James007
11-20-2010, 10:32 PM
I need 2 more 1 oz kooks to complete the set, '99 and '97. 6 more 2 oz. for a set. The most recent 1 ozers I bought have run me around $40. :eek: 1999 is giving me the most trouble finding one at a reasonable price. Now, question is, do I put them all into a Dansco?

I am pretty sure they make both. IMO if you're the only one handling them I say folder. But if you want to be a total show off when company comes by.(likeme); plastic case.

James007
11-20-2010, 10:40 PM
1990 kooks are going for $60.00 with no toning. Little toning seem to go for $40-$50 and acid tested kooks go for $35-$40. 1990 is my favorite year! My second favorite has to be 2009 Kook. It is one of the most beautiful coins to me. My most favorie Kook and maybe favorite coin ever is the 2002 kook with the American flag in total red white and blue. Try to find one of those! Goodluck! I have only seen three in existence. Those are all in collections.

PSUDave
11-20-2010, 11:16 PM
I am pretty sure they make both. IMO if you're the only one handling them I say folder. But if you want to be a total show off when company comes by.(likeme); plastic case.

No, Dansco doesn't make Kook albums, I'd have to put together my own. I could use a "silver rounds" album for the 1 oz. and buy individual 50mm pages for a 2 oz album. I'm leaning towards the album to clean things up. Some are in the original perth mint holders, some in 2x2's, some in airtites. I don't show off my shiny, very people ever get to see it. More for personal enjoyment. :)