PDA

View Full Version : Monster Box Storage Conditions

purplefetus
01-02-2011, 02:13 AM
For silver monster boxes, what is the ideal condition to store them in order to get the least amount of tainting over the years?

I was wondering if the basement would be bad? versus the attic? Do you want low humidity to prevent silver oxidation?

coindog
01-02-2011, 02:26 AM
best way to store-in a safe. anyway the way the mint packs them they are safe from almost anything. in the coin collecting world old rolls with the end coin toned are taken as a sign that they are not messed with since being packed and command an extra price. in mint tubes the only coin that MAYBE would tone is the end one. the basement? depends where you live.

purplefetus
01-02-2011, 02:45 AM
best way to store-in a safe. anyway the way the mint packs them they are safe from almost anything. in the coin collecting world old rolls with the end coin toned are taken as a sign that they are not messed with since being packed and command an extra price. in mint tubes the only coin that MAYBE would tone is the end one. the basement? depends where you live.

Of course, in a safe. But I was thinking about where to keep the safe. Should I put it in the attic versus the basement versus the ground floor of my house? My basement has a dehumidifier too. I'm only asking in terms of storage conditions, not in terms of safety nor strategic purposes.

I guess if the coins are in the tubes and inside the monster box it doesn't really matter? My attic can get really hot in the summer. I was wondering if hot temperatures would speed up the kinetics for tainting. Maybe it wouldn't affect silver inside a monster box?

coindog
01-02-2011, 03:01 AM
the safe part was just a joke. but the rest was for real. I have seen 50yr. old silver coins in a paper wrapper, not a good method at all, where only the end coin is toned the rest just from being packed tight are mint bright 50yrs. later. the modern mint tubes are far superior to that. I like my safe on the first floor because I have to get in it so many times.

redmonster
01-02-2011, 03:14 AM
Invest it a couple hundred grams of silica gel. The stuff's cheap and it keeps the humidity low. It also adsorbs volatile organics that can tone your coins. Put this together with your monster box(es) and wrap a large plastic garbage bag around the whole thing. Every couple of years you can regenerate the silica gel by cooking it in the oven a few hrs at 400f. Probably don't need to do that if you keep the bags sealed.

purplefetus
01-02-2011, 03:17 AM
the safe part was just a joke. but the rest was for real. I have seen 50yr. old silver coins in a paper wrapper, not a good method at all, where only the end coin is toned the rest just from being packed tight are mint bright 50yrs. later. the modern mint tubes are far superior to that. I like my safe on the first floor because I have to get in it so many times.

So you're saying the mint tubes kept inside the monsterbox together are infallible, and I shouldn't worry about temperature/humidity conditions?

shakudo
01-02-2011, 03:51 AM
I may be wrong but I'd say oxidisation occurs in the presence of air. If you can take away that aspect then you may have very good preservation conditions.

One way to do that might be to vacuum pack rolls of coins. I think that you can get food vacuum bags that link to a vacuum cleaner to remove most/all air.

Just a suggestion.

nealeffendi
01-02-2011, 04:11 AM
I may be wrong but I'd say oxidisation occurs in the presence of air. If you can take away that aspect then you may have very good preservation conditions.

One way to do that might be to vacuum pack rolls of coins. I think that you can get food vacuum bags that link to a vacuum cleaner to remove most/all air.

Just a suggestion.

If you are concerned about air then just put inside a container and purge with an inert gas like nitrogen (then seal). Vacuum seals are not reliable as the continuous pressure differential causes leaks
Your main worry is moisture in the air. Temp fluctuations are also a problem in part due to the condensation that occurs.
As one poster mentioned you should be alright with silica gel. If you get the dyed packets you can even tell when its getting saturated (pink/blue).

Quagmire420420
01-02-2011, 04:21 AM
Of course, in a safe. But I was thinking about where to keep the safe. Should I put it in the attic versus the basement versus the ground floor of my house? My basement has a dehumidifier too. I'm only asking in terms of storage conditions, not in terms of safety nor strategic purposes.

I guess if the coins are in the tubes and inside the monster box it doesn't really matter? My attic can get really hot in the summer. I was wondering if hot temperatures would speed up the kinetics for tainting. Maybe it wouldn't affect silver inside a monster box?

Honestly I would say it doesn't matter.

Hell I frequently handle my ASE with bare hands in order to test them for authenticity of metal content, and yes some have milk spots on them, and others I bought with a bit of toning on them.

Frankly though, I LIKE toning on coins, it gives the piece "personality" and I really believe that some toning in particular greatly ENHANCES the beauty of the piece, especially when it is the multi color variety.

I realize I may be in the minority as I say this, but that doesn't bother me as the toning on a coin does NOT affect its value as bullion.

As for storage location, silver is inert enough that it really does not matter especially if you keep your mint tubes closed and do not handle the coins.

Also a dessicant of some kind placed in the safe will help prevent any toning from occurring.

One of my favorite coins in a Franklin half I have that has a solid black obverse and multi color deep toning spots on the reverse.

Quagmire420420
01-02-2011, 04:22 AM
So you're saying the mint tubes kept inside the monsterbox together are infallible, and I shouldn't worry about temperature/humidity conditions?

Pretty much, yes.

aybesee123
01-02-2011, 04:22 AM
Stick it in a mylar bag and throw in a couple O2 absorers and seal the end of the bag with an iron.

StephenHawkinsVoiceBox
01-02-2011, 04:35 AM
You could always get a muslin bag and put a handfull of rice in to it. Then place the bag into your MB. The rice will absorb any moisture that finds its way in.

silvertip
01-02-2011, 06:55 AM
May I suggest my safe?;)

stupidme
01-02-2011, 07:05 AM
I bought some rolls of BU Roosevelt dimes. All were wrapped in aluminum foil and then put in tubes.
I asked why? The old dealer said that will protect them.The 46-s' were bright and creamy, not bad for 4 x face.(2001 price)

hpw12
01-02-2011, 08:21 AM
versus the attic?

something that God forbid might happen is too have a tornado and have your silver spread across the countryside.

Safe bolted to concrete seems ideal to me

4AMJAVA
01-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Silver isn't really affected by air, but atmospheric pollution, particularly sulfer compounds. 90 per cent coinage gets a toning effect from the acids in paper, or something like that, but SAE are pure or nearly so. Rubber compounds will tarnish silver quick. For all that you could bury your coins in the back yard and their melt value wouldn't change. Surely you can find something else more important to worry about these days, especially.

HighInBC
01-02-2011, 10:47 AM
You can store them at my house, it is nice and dry.

hpw12
01-02-2011, 10:51 AM
You can store them at my house, it is nice and dry.

Do you own a boat :D

HighInBC
01-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Do you own a boat :D

Didn't I meantion it was a house boat?