PDA

View Full Version : I need some help!!!!

Krank
01-06-2011, 01:17 PM
My home office is a mess and has been for a number of years so today I decided to clean it up. Included in that cleanup was finally going thru what I'll call a cash box, that was my late mother's. I've been sitting on it for about 5 years and although I glanced into it a few years ago, I've never gone thru it. It's filled with numerous small boxes, containers, pill bottles, etc., with many papers and letters, etc., that I assume she was keeping for sentimental reasons. I'll now start going thru those too.

What I need help with is coins. . . lots of them, and since I don't collect these and know nothing about them, I figured where better to get some generic info. There are Canadian and American (silver?) dollars dated from 1956 thru early seventies . . . some look mint. There's a bunch of quarters that all seem dated prior to 1967. There are 2 tubes of Canadian quarters, with a note that says 'canadian small head prior 1966' and the other 'Canadian large head prior 1966'. There are dozens of 50 cent pieces dated between 1917 and 1964 and a tin box with assorted, from I'm assuming various countries, from dollars to pennies. . . one the size of a silver dollar dated 1891. . . another with George V that looks like gold but is probably copper, many british early 1900's pennies etc, and even a quarter sized something from Peru with what looks like a lamba on the back dated 1967. It too looks like gold. . . there's even an American Indian head nickel with the word Liberty in front of his face and a buffalo on the back. There's also about 100 each of 1 and 2 dollar Canadian Bills from before we had loonies and toonies.
Now I'm not expecting any serious advice, just some generic stuff like what dates have real silver in Cdn & US coins, or anything else someone might care to add. I recognize I'll need to see a coin shop for evaluation, but only after I do some due diligence myself since when it comes to this stuff, I actually did just fall off the turnip truck and I'd rather not be taken for a ride. Perhaps I'll visit a couple of coin shops. I realize I need either some new eyes, or a good magnifying glass. Thanks in advance.

PS... I also found a 1920 Province of Ontario Motor Vehicle Permit of my late uncle's for a 1920 Ford, 2 door, 22.5 horsepower and the permit cost $10. What i wouldn't give to have that car!!

treasureseekers1
01-06-2011, 01:27 PM
$10.00 in 1920 was a fortune!!! I can't even think about the other questions you have. The car probably sold for around $300.00 back then.

digbird
01-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Wow..lots to deal with Krank. Pre-1967's are generally 80% silver. But these sound like they are in very good shape, so I would suggest getting the latest edition of "Charlton Standard Catalogue on Canadian Coins", as they list the different grades and price accordingly. Selling to a coin shop of course you would not get those prices listed in a catalogue...but at least gives you a base price idea. Nice find and your Mother was very smart. Best I can suggest other than loading them up and taking them in. Now finding a matching 1922 Ford for that permit will be a challenge. cheers

Ag gnostic
01-06-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm not an expert on it, but to give you a quick go by....

Pre 1920 coins are .925
1920-1967 coins are .800
1968-1999 coins are .999 Nickel unless they're nickels, in which case:
1920-21 nickels are .800 silver
1922-42 nickels are .999 Nickel
WWII had steel & copper/zinc varieties
1946-51 nickels are .999 Nickel
1951-54 nickels are steel
1955-81 nickels are .999 Nickel
1982-1999 nickels are .750 Copper / .250 Nickel

edit - I should have said those are for the Canadian coins.

Krank
01-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Now finding a matching 1922 Ford for that permit will be a challenge. cheers

I got the serial number so ya s'pose CarFacts won't work? Actually the strange thing is it doesn't say what year the car is . . . only that it's a 2 door ford and the serial number, but the permit is dated April 1920 so it's probably prior to that. Yeah $10 seems like a lot.

There's also a receipt dated 1941 for a buick. It doesn't say the year of the car or anything about the car either, but the cost, $1000 and they had to put $50 down. . . humm . . . the begining of the credit crunch??

Krank
01-06-2011, 02:00 PM
What's the easiest, quickest way to clean some of these . . . so i can read the dates. Some are really mint, especially the dimes, some are in pretty bad shape imo, but i can't believe she collected/saved any of these. She was never into that kind of things, but there's some really interesting papers/notes/correspondence that seems to prove our family, as United Empire Loyalists, still owns Manhatten Island. That kinda works for me. Wonder if Bloomberg will put up a fight?

Krank
01-06-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm not an expert on it, but to give you a quick go by....

Pre 1920 coins are .925
1920-1967 coins are .800
1968-1999 coins are .999 Nickel unless they're nickels, in which case:
1920-21 nickels are .800 silver
1922-42 nickels are .999 Nickel
WWII had steel & copper/zinc varieties
1946-51 nickels are .999 Nickel
1951-54 nickels are steel
1955-81 nickels are .999 Nickel
1982-1999 nickels are .750 Copper / .250 Nickel

Thank you man . . . that's a start. When i own NYC, I'll have you all over and we'll party like its 1999.

digbird
01-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Krank: I don't think I would clean them. Krank the Yank...hmmm doesn't compute! lol Maybe they can re-draw the border?

madduxxx
01-06-2011, 03:38 PM
What's the easiest, quickest way to clean some of these . . . so i can read the dates. Some are really mint, especially the dimes, some are in pretty bad shape imo, but i can't believe she collected/saved any of these. She was never into that kind of things, but there's some really interesting papers/notes/correspondence that seems to prove our family, as United Empire Loyalists, still owns Manhatten Island. That kinda works for me. Wonder if Bloomberg will put up a fight?

DO NOT clean any of them until an expert looks at them. I saw an 1884 CC Morgan Dollar this summer that looked like it was in mint state (~$250 coin) to the naked eye but under the loope you could see all the tell-tell hairline scratches caused by a cleaning. The dealer was trying to get 50 bucks for it and no one would touch it.

Also there were no circulated silver dollars produced by the US mint from 1956 through the early 70s. The last 90% silver dollar produced in the US was in 1935 w/ the peace dollar. (Now in '64 the Denver mint minted ~300k Peace dollars but it was decided not to circulate the coin and those were supposed to all be melted. Rumors are that the President, some of his staff and some members of Congress obtained examples of that coin, but it is illegal in the States right now to own it.) From 1935 until 1971, no dollar coin was minted. In 1971, the Eisenhower dollar started and lasted about 7 years, but the circulated versions were clad with no silver. However, the Proof versions made at the San Fransciso mint had 40% silver in them. So if you have an Eisenhower and it has no S mint mark and does not have the mirrored finish, it is most likely the clad version. The clad version weighs 22.7 grams while the silver version weighs 24.6 grams if you can't tell by looking at it.

It all sounds like a fun find, enjoy it! Hey, maybe you have found a new hobby!

Oh... and US coinage (dime, quarter, half dollar, dollar) is 90% silver up to and including 1964. After 1964, only the Kennedy halfs were 40% silver from 1965-1970.

Feral child
01-06-2011, 05:42 PM
... there's some really interesting papers/notes/correspondence that seems to prove our family, as United Empire Loyalists, still owns Manhatten Island.

UH-HUH... :p

Numisgold
01-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Unless you're an accomplished coin collector or dealer the odds are 99.9% that you will devalue the coins in any attempt to clean or "improve" them. Just like with old furniture, collectors like that original crustiness on their coins.

Numisgold

Krank
01-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Thanks guys . . . dirty they'll stay. I'll start checking out some of them on the net tomorrow.

Shogun
01-06-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm not sure about others, but I just go here:

http://www.coinflation.com/

Pretty much tells you everything you need to know.

calmbreeze
01-07-2011, 09:56 PM
I would take the coins to a reliable coin dealer and pay him/her to assess their value....making sure that I say that I need to know the value for insurance purposes - I don't want to sell them.

Decide what to do with them after you leave the shop.

Conservative Blues
01-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Check out this site for Canadian coin prices - numismatic prices, that is.

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php

vvolf
01-08-2011, 05:43 AM
Check out this site for Canadian coin prices - numismatic prices, that is.

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php

Thanks for this link...will be very useful.