PDA

View Full Version : Are you asking for delivery of your silver ?

Talleyrand
01-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi,

What are your own strategies when it comes to buying silver ? Do you buy and ask for delivery of physical coins/bars ? Do you buy/sell at a faster pace through online vaults ? Do you do a mix of both ?

I am personnaly in favor of home delivery: this prevents you from "playing" as you would do more easily through website with just a few clicks. Drawback is the price of shipment, VAT, and so on that adds significantly to the SPOT price.

Taxin
01-28-2011, 05:06 PM
I buy physical and mess around in the pool a bit

mrgneiss
01-28-2011, 06:42 PM
I take delivery and have control of all the physical I buy. Trading physical is crazy with premiums and inconvenience, and not having direct control leaves me feeling anxious being open to counterparty or third party risk. I hope to pass a lot of it on to my son. To make money I buy penny silver stocks, or dabble in options.

KILOFINAL
01-28-2011, 07:32 PM
I just place it on the front seat of my car and drive away

Prospector
01-28-2011, 08:34 PM
I tie it to the book rack of my bicycle and pedal it home. One hundred percent down and nothing a month, storage by the only person I trust.

Just kidding, I have a car now! But when I started in 2000 I bought a thousand ounces of silver and thirty ounces of gold and hauled it all home on a bicycle. I had to make several trips to avoid triggering an IRS report for a cash transaction.

thesandbox
01-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Prospector.....where have you been???? :eek: .....I guess with a lot of newcomers I have skimmed past most of your posts lately.

Quagmire420420
01-28-2011, 08:50 PM
I take delivery and have control of all the physical I buy. Trading physical is crazy with premiums and inconvenience, and not having direct control leaves me feeling anxious being open to counterparty or third party risk. I hope to pass a lot of it on to my son. To make money I buy penny silver stocks, or dabble in options.

Agreed. Trading physical is just too difficult and basically not worth it. I use stocks as my trading options; I would not mind buying a few options, but I really do not understand how the valuation of those derivatives work over time so I stay out of them. As for future contracts, they are only useful to gain leverage, but margin is a game I will NOT play, it is dangerous like cocaine or heroin.

coindog
01-28-2011, 08:54 PM
I tie it to the book rack of my bicycle and pedal it home. One hundred percent down and nothing a month, storage by the only person I trust.

Just kidding, I have a car now! But when I started in 2000 I bought a thousand ounces of silver and thirty ounces of gold and hauled it all home on a bicycle. I had to make several trips to avoid triggering an IRS report for a cash transaction.

what, you couldn't spring for a cab. I have taken the city bus with 5-6k of PMs in my gym bag 'cause it used to be only $1. from a fellow tightwad.:)