PDA

View Full Version : Noob Questions: Bars or Coins? Storage?

noredr
01-30-2011, 05:48 AM
Sorry to make yet another newbie thread with questions that have already been answered. I was not able to find a suitable answer for my first questions which is:

Is it better to buy bars or coins? Will one be easier to sell eventually? Any benefit to buying one over the other?

I gathered that coins may be more valuable as you would have the opportunity to attract coin collecters or whatnot?

Also, whats recommend as far as storing? My stack isnt very big. Its actually all in a zip locked bag and I do like to fondle and grope my silver from time to time :D

thanks for any and all answers

Nanman
01-30-2011, 06:03 AM
Personally, I buy bars. The 10oz kind. IMO their size is small enough to store easily, and easy enough to sell if needed. I don't like coins because of the higher premiums, and if the coins are not in tubes they're just all over the place. I do have a tube of maples though :D. I did consider 100oz bars, but I wouldn't have too many, and I think its hard to sell them where I live.

Storage is another matter. I keep mine at home. The bars I keep in bubble wrap, tightly wrapped up and taped in groups. I would never trust a bank to hold my valuables... maybe I'm paranoid.

bak875
01-30-2011, 06:46 AM
Things never plan out as we would like.

A few months ago when I started stacking. I thought that 200 oz would hold me in good stead comprised of Maples, SAE and Philhamonics.

NOW, I got over 500 oz. Comprised of 5 types of Silver incl 10 oz bars in two different locations. I'm working on my second stash.

For the coins I always get the tubes, they even give me empty tubes for free - makes things much easier.

ifionlyhadsomegold
01-30-2011, 07:08 AM
the search here is terrible, barely turns up anything related. your better off using google and it can find the threads here.

sounds like you dont have any silver.
if i could do it over i would buy in this order. i have bought into many products becuase it was the best deal @ the time.

1. bullion coins (eagles,maples,phills,libs,ect)

2. 90% US coins

3. bars of choice, nothing over 100oz.

if the banks blow up you will want fractional and it may or may not be a problem if you dont.

once you get enough 1oz. or less, bars become a better goal.

stay away from numismatics until you have more experiance/core position.

robert31057
01-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Personally, I buy bars. The 10oz kind. IMO their size is small enough to store easily, and easy enough to sell if needed. I don't like coins because of the higher premiums, and if the coins are not in tubes they're just all over the place. I do have a tube of maples though :D. I did consider 100oz bars, but I wouldn't have too many, and I think its hard to sell them where I live.

Storage is another matter. I keep mine at home. The bars I keep in bubble wrap, tightly wrapped up and taped in groups. I would never trust a bank to hold my valuables... maybe I'm paranoid.

i agree. for a basic stack, 10 oz. JM or ENG is the way to go. 'course then those bargains and shortages come along and you end up with a bunch of 1973 art bars like i did. i swear, i ended up with '73 graduation day, easter, xmas, arbor day, etc.

a tube of eagles, maples, and libertads is a good idea. some junk doesn't hurt but has no numi value. look to the slabbed stuff for collector value.

storage depends on your situation. my residence is not secure so i have to use a bank box. box is too heavy for the bank employees and almost me. unless i buy more Pd, i am looking at another box.

Roadrunner777
01-30-2011, 08:00 AM
I concur with the above. I might not go for 100oz bars right away, it's a lot of money (at least for me!) to have tied up in one piece.

I think what is most important is to find the deals. It's all good, it will all sell when you have to sell. You should make a chart of how much silver is in each type of coin, and figure out what spot value is... then work from that.

I was visiting a pawn shop for the first time and ended up talking to the owner. I took out my chart and started looking at his inventory. At that point he knew I was ready and serious. I got some great deals that day including a 1 oz round for $4 below spot. See, I shopped the deals, I ended up with 16 x '64 kennedy's, an ASE, the round I mentioned, and 2 x '65 kennedy's. I was within $1 of spot for silver content on each item, except the round which was a killer deal. The bad part was spot was $29 back then, but this too shall be passed.

Some coin is selling for a LOT over spot, like ASE's right now. I'm not even trying to buy those now; I am finding better deals in 90% coin. But then again, ASE's with the high premium, you may be able to pass that on when you sell, it just depends on how you plan to do this.

You do have a plan right? I know it's easy to start this because it seems like the right thing to do, and it is. But, sooner than later, you should sit down and figure out why you are doing it, your goals, how you will deal with your stack if the price soars or plummets. You should figure out now how to best sell your stack so you don't have to do it in a hurry later. But, don't be in a hurry to sell because of a bad day or week. the road is very bumpy right now, but patience will be rewarded.

Try to have some fun along the way. Collect some different stuff just to have. I'm working on getting that bar I posted in the Polish Silver thread. And, I really like Morgan dollars. I like the look, the feel, and having something that has been around since the late 1800's.

nuts4gold
01-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Welcome Noredr
From the paranoid point of view I suggest you purchase coins which are easy to recognize such as Eagles or Maples etc. this may have the advantage of being able to barter with in uncertain situations.
Storage never trust the banks I personally would take plastic pvc tubing and seal them with end caps and bury them at night, tell no one. If your stack is large I would take the needed time to bury it deep 4-6 feet so as to defeat metal detectors. If you have many neighbors and they can see your property you can dig several holes and place a few planting trees next to them and then one night place them all in the holes and your coins as well...

StephenHawkinsVoiceBox
01-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Sorry to make yet another newbie thread with questions that have already been answered. I was not able to find a suitable answer for my first questions which is:

Is it better to buy bars or coins? Will one be easier to sell eventually? Any benefit to buying one over the other?

I gathered that coins may be more valuable as you would have the opportunity to attract coin collecters or whatnot?

Also, whats recommend as far as storing? My stack isnt very big. Its actually all in a zip locked bag and I do like to fondle and grope my silver from time to time :D

thanks for any and all answers
Good question. Personally I would have 75% in 10oz bars and 25% coinage. Storage is dependent upon the place where you live.

However, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

A strong, padlocked container, screwed/bolted to the floor and/or wall. Within which put another strong padlocked container that is screwed/bolted to the outer container. Deposit shiny into inner container. Cover everything over with junk. Sprinkle with fairy dust and visit occasionally. Hide keys in separate part of house.

4AMJAVA
01-30-2011, 08:44 AM
For most people, stick to recognized coins - maples, eagles, etc.

There is a "premium" or retail markup on these but you'll find out why when you go to sell. Generic bullion gets dinged upon sale. You are going to get dinged regardless, the question is how much. In that equation recognized coins are a better buy.

Roadrunner777
01-30-2011, 08:55 AM
There was a great thread on PM storage, and having spent 30 minutes looking for it, I guess I will just say it is out there somewhere, probably in the General Discussion thread. If you find it, there are hundreds if not more ideas on storage.

theplantguy
01-30-2011, 08:58 AM
I would think that what you buy depends on why you are buying in the first place. Do you have a silver strategy? I would hope so.

123abc
i have mainly 1 kilo coins and 1kilo bullion.

SiberD
I ain't a snob.....junk silver, bullion in coin or bar, sterling.....its all good.

robert31057
01-30-2011, 09:00 AM
the man was right about the deals. last week in my scrounging i picked up one of those dopey colorized eagles for spot + $.36. my guy said he will buy back at spot.

like the man says..."silver is silver".

RoadLizard
01-30-2011, 09:06 AM
As with any investment, a litttle mix is probably best. Bars have the lowest premiums but are also 100% tied to the value of silver and arent quite as liquid. Bullion coins like Eagles and Maples have higher premiums but are pretty much the defacto bullion and are the easiest to get rid of should you have to. Old Pre '65 US coinage is a great way to get cheap silver and is also very liquid.

When it comes to the Govt/Mint bullion you have to be careful though. Its quite easy to get obsessed with the pricey coins like Pandas, Kookaburras, Libertads, Britannias, etc, etc. I have ONE each of those products but would never stack them! You'd have too much tied up in premiums. Enjoy a few but only in moderation.

Bars are cool but Id stay with the 10oz and 5 oz variety. Also - like coins, certain bars seem to sell for more money than others. Johnson Matthey and Englehard have bullion-like premiums sometimes. Any of the major bar producers are fine. Sunshine, Silvertowne, Hareaus, NTR, Academy, Apmex, etc, etc. Id stay away from artsy bars - some of them look fake and have limited appeal.

My 3 silver cents.

SiberD
01-30-2011, 09:15 AM
When it comes to the Govt/Mint bullion you have to be careful though. Its quite easy to get obsessed with the pricey coins like Pandas, Kookaburras, Libertads, Britannias, etc, etc. I have ONE each of those products but would never stack them! You'd have too much tied up in premiums. Enjoy a few but only in moderation.

Huh? I have about 150 Libertads and trust me, I'm a cheap sob, I didn't pay huge premiums for them. They can be had for about the same price as SAE's on the bay. I do agree with you about the Pandas and Kooks. I have no Pandas and only one kookaburra, having obtained that as part of lot that included peace dollars, eagles, and even a 5 ounce Libertad!

RoadLizard
01-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Huh? I have about 150 Libertads and trust me, I'm a cheap sob, I didn't pay huge premiums for them. They can be had for about the same price as SAE's on the bay. I do agree with you about the Pandas and Kooks. I have no Pandas and only one kookaburra, having obtained that as part of lot that included peace dollars, eagles, and even a 5 ounce Libertad!

Thats great - in general though, many of the Libbys are pricey. The year probably matters and what the mintage was. As long as you are happy thren thats all that matters.

ankh_mm
01-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Hi Noredr. I too had questions about the direction to go-- bullion or coins. I started with junk silver, added some bars, nothing over 10 oz, some ASEs. In bullion I stuck with Engelhard. Then I wanted some gold and got some PAMP Suisse bars and Gold Eagles. Now, for the past several months, I've stuck with junk silver. I'm of the opinion that when tshtf junk will be the most recognizable. I store my stash on my property as I don't trust anyone else to guard it for me, plus I have immediate access to it 24/7. I wish I had found this forum when I started about a year ago-- many worthwhile opinions expressed here.

The thread for storing ones stash is in Bar & Grill-- Survival preparations-- Secret Hiding Places

coindog
01-30-2011, 11:20 AM
the man was right about the deals. last week in my scrounging i picked up one of those dopey colorized eagles for spot + $.36. my guy said he will buy back at spot.

like the man says..."silver is silver".

"silver is silver " is also my motto. don't like them but I will even buy those fat santa, baby's 1st. birthday, happy anniv. etc corny silver rounds but I just can't make myself buy those painted ASE, they make my grind my teeth. I guess that's just me.

Flathead8
01-30-2011, 12:05 PM
silver is silver baby!

I havent seen any good reason why one would be harder to sell then any other. the only exception being size. get as much in small sizes as you can muster.

even 10 ounce bars are quite spendy for the regular guy on the street. i think anything in 1 ounce is easier to move back and forth.

Moonstruck
01-30-2011, 12:08 PM
I ain't a snob.....junk silver, bullion in coin or bar, sterling.....its all good.

This + Sterling silverware should be used, it's not just for stacking.

coindog
01-30-2011, 12:40 PM
This + Sterling silverware should be used, it's not just for stacking.

great idea you can have "junk" food and eat like a king. :D

silvertip
01-30-2011, 01:18 PM
After many years of collecting Canadian silver coins, I found that I like at least three nines in my silver. Also I have no eagles or statues of Lady Liberty. Please I am not trying to offend it is just a personal preference. My point being try different purchases and see if one grabs you like Maples and me. Gold or silver. I have lot of bars some older and tarnished others in plastic. I see the point of the plastic but I like touching my silver. If you don`t tell anybody about your silver a good hiding spot is all you need. :)

SilverFinger
01-30-2011, 01:28 PM
I would think that what you buy depends on why you are buying in the first place. Do you have a silver strategy? I would hope so.

This is good, what's your strategy?...and like Trump says..."Think Big", get your 100oz and under stash first..but don't discount having one or two 1000.oz bar/s for your man cave.

PM Paradigm
01-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Armrests for your Throne?:D

Roadrunner777
01-30-2011, 02:54 PM
but don't discount having one or two 1000.oz bar/s for your man cave.

Wheel chocks for the Lear, dontchaknow.