PDA

View Full Version : What to tell UPS man

GldGrl
02-02-2011, 01:18 PM
What to tell the UPS man when he asks what's in the monster box he's delivering. i mean, not, "none of your beeswax." :p

Junkaroo
02-02-2011, 01:21 PM
"Engine parts"

jayjay
02-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Just say they are gold bricks. Right after you say "none of your beeswax".

theplantguy
Just tell him you ordered some casting lead to make your own fishing weights.

bak875
Nice one!

He already knows doesn't he? The Shipper's name will be on the box.

BoxofGold
Decorative wrought iron pieces.

Waylons Ghost
02-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Just tell him its supplies for your mom or dads hobby...thats usually enough to satisfy them!

Hilander
02-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Reloading supplies - brass & bullets (because primers & ammo have to be labeled)

Greenback
02-02-2011, 01:26 PM
A delivery person has never asked me what was in the box, and I would never ask that if I was the one delivering.

But if the person does ask, you can:

1.) Tell him the truth (bad idea)
2.) Make up some story
3.) Ignore the question and take the box after you have signed for it.
4.) Tell him it is none of his business

Are you good at telling fibs? If not, I would suggest ignoring the question. The delivery person will be in a big hurry to move on to the next stop anyway...

999FINE
02-02-2011, 01:26 PM
bombs
:cool: :cool: :cool:

AuNuggets
02-02-2011, 01:28 PM
"Uranium Components".......... then tell him you need to arrange for a package pick up tomorrow.

ifionlyhadsomegold
02-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Reloading supplies - brass & bullets (because primers & ammo have to be labeled)

hee,hee,

"that must be some military stuff there."

good old brown.

:cool:

Chazmo
02-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Say... I don't know but, it's ticking, should I open it now?

rwsutley
02-02-2011, 01:35 PM
My UPS man commented that he was delivering more ammo and I did not correct him.

Chrisadamley
02-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Well When i shipped a very large quantity of silver...came in like 4 heavy boxes. The boxes weren't all that big, but they were heavy. It was scotsdale stackers so it was all pretty compact.

They know whatever it is, that it valuable.

Lets just say for example, that you order 10k worth of silver. This isn't what i ordered, just an example.

Whoever is shipping it to you definitly has insurance on it through UPS.

If you don't get unsurance on it, then thats a bad mistake.

JustaNumber
02-02-2011, 01:39 PM
If you order from CMIGS (my dad highly recommended them), the box is already labeled "Machine parts". Plus the return address isn't obvious.

Lookinfordeals
02-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Just tell him the same thing Charlie Brown tells everyone at Halloween. "I got a rock.":)

jamie11
02-02-2011, 01:42 PM
What to tell the UPS man when he asks what's in the monster box he's delivering. i mean, not, "none of your beeswax." :p

why worry about him, you just told the world

TXKajun
02-02-2011, 01:42 PM
"I've noticed lately you've gotten pretty fat. This is my contribution to your workout program." :D

Course, you may never get another package delivered! LOL

Kajun

AgStacker
02-02-2011, 01:44 PM
I like "ammo, cuz you need to have plenty for when IT happens" look crazy and lean in a little.

rosenblumr
02-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Actually when one orders from Tulving I think the insurance is with looted NOT ups. So they would not know that something valuable is in the box. Also per some requests a few months back they changed the name on the return address to be something other than Tulving. Basically initials. And lastly, for a lot of reasons in think the recessing thing is the best answer. Kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

Well When i shipped a very large quantity of silver...came in like 4 heavy boxes. The boxes weren't all that big, but they were heavy. It was scotsdale stackers so it was all pretty compact.

Lets just say for example, that you order 10k worth of silver. This isn't what i ordered, just an example.

ifionlyhadsomegold
02-02-2011, 01:45 PM

uPS and FedX dont insure bullion.

jeffford
02-02-2011, 01:46 PM
its gonna weigh around 34 lbs..... that nothing.....i have never been asked by any delivery person whats in anything, nor would i ever ask someone if i did deliveries...but if he does asks just say "i have no idea , i wasnt expecting anything"....if your smart enough to buy silver i would sure hope your smart enough to come up with something clever......if your not have it sent to my house i will handle it....duh

Holdfast
02-02-2011, 01:46 PM
*Parts for your Pa's Cast Iron Stove.

*Boxes Of welding rods.

*Broco rods.

*Ceramic bricks (Fire proof bricks)

*Potters clay

*Lead punch pad

*Rock carving tools

*Masonary Drill bits

laredo7mm
02-02-2011, 01:48 PM
...if your smart enough to buy silver i would sure hope your smart enough to come up with something clever......if your not have it sent to my house i will handle it....duh

Now that is funny, I don't care who you are...

Spinwheel
02-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Fossils from ancient supernova.

slyfox
02-02-2011, 01:55 PM

He wont ask you because he already knows:eek:

theplantguy
02-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Just tell the postman "it's my mother in law's ashes, she was a heavy woman"

ifionlyhadsomegold
02-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Just tell the postman "it's my mother in law's ashes, she was a heavy woman"

God yes!

:D

SUMOSABE
02-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Tell him it's some of your AMWAY products - he'll leave asap...

or

just keep chanting gibberish - either one will suffice...:p

CaptainTripps
02-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Tell him its plutonium for the flux-capacitor you are working on. But really I doubt he cares what it is. Im sure he dlivers much more valuable things to other people. My UPS guy brought me a package and commented Brownells sells some cool stuff. I said yep and smiled.

HomerJ
02-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Tell him? It's too late, he already knows....
Next time, drag him in and bury him in the backyard. Or a pig farm...

Legio Patria Nostra
02-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Just answer the question with a question ...
Something like .... Have you seen my wife ? What do you think is in there ... ASPIRINE & IBUPROFEN ... of course !!!

confucious222
02-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Just tell him you ordered some casting lead to make your own fishing weights.

The last time a delivery guy came with a MB, that is exactly what I told him when he asked "Is this gold or something"?

Oh, no, I wish, just making lead sinkers for the next fishing trip.

MYOFB would have been more appropriate, but hey, he was just working for a living.

govikesgo
02-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Um..er...a.. say "it's my big shipment of silver, wanna come in and see the huge pile I have?":rolleyes:

AvergageJoe
02-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Tell him you collect replicas of those Frederick Remington sculptures. Tell him you buy D-cell batteries by the case. Tell him you order custom molds for machining purposes.

Scratchee
02-02-2011, 03:28 PM
"It's not silver, but I wish it was! Why would you think it was silver? Ha ha! That would be cool, a box this big filled with SILVER. I couldn't afford that, but it would be cool. Well, I mean, I COULD afford it, but I don't invest in silver, or any other precious metals. Even though I know fiat--I mean paper...PAPER--money is going down the toilet. But it's just not a good time for silver, given that we're off some recent highs and probably going to go down some more. Heh heh...BACK UP THE TRUCK...heh heh...[makes big rig horn signal] HONK HONK! Look, why don't you just get off my porch?"

HighInBC
02-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Copper ingots is the safe answer... or you could go the other way and say "The last UPS guy who asked questions" is in the box.

UPS insurance does not cover PMs, they would be using independent insurance.

New2PM
02-02-2011, 04:09 PM
I like "ammo, cuz you need to have plenty for when IT happens" look crazy and lean in a little.

:eek: Thats good. REAL GOOD! hahahaha :D

AgChem
02-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Tell him? It's too late, he already knows....
Next time, drag him in and bury him in the backyard. Or a pig farm...

Unintended Consequences

Solidus_Aurelius
02-02-2011, 04:17 PM
"It's 5000 watchtower pamphlets. I'm a Jehovah Witness."

Dennis G
02-02-2011, 04:17 PM
MY UPS guy knows I get AMMO... most of my PM comes via USPS and I go to the post office to sign for that, and they have never asked me why the box is so heavy.

If they did (the Postal folks at the counter) ... "I like the JUNK silver" as an answer...to most people that does not sound very valuable...although the postal people could probably look at how much it was insured for and make their own assessment.

As I said, to date, nobody there has asked me anything, they just take my pink slip, ask me to sign, and hand over the box of PM coins.

THE UPS guy however, has asked me if I know something he doesn't...lol because he has delivered about 5,000 rounds of ammo (the balance I have I bought personally at a local store) and some dehydrated food that he moved in buckets....

So I jut smile and tell him that if a hurricane comes...I want to have some food stored up...and the bullets are because I can buy them so cheap on line, rather than at the range.

Not the most secure way to deal with it, but there ya go.

Dennis G

theplantguy
02-02-2011, 04:20 PM
My postman doesn't think I'm crazy.........................he's pretty sure of it...................................... :)

audiotom
02-02-2011, 04:24 PM
I have my stuff sent to work, so there isn't an errant drop off or curious postal man

what do I say at work?

I'm a geologist - what do you expect - more rock samples

Holdfast
02-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Just say it's another stack of copper heat sinks, for those crappy Nvidia GPUs:eek:

torpedoman
02-02-2011, 04:47 PM
ballast for the light in my marijuana grow house.

Holdfast
02-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Zinc anodes for my ship!

Feral child
02-02-2011, 04:50 PM

Tell 'em what you want- they already know, believe me.

Aimstr8
02-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Nice one!

He already knows doesn't he? The Shipper's name will be on the box.

Yes, the driver's already know...or can easily figure it out (even though A***X abbreviates their name. Especially if they have been driving for awhile...because they get used to seeing the same heavy boxes from the same shippers. Delivery drivers HATE heavy boxes so they always tend to look at where the box originated from (so they can cuss them out under their breath) :)

I worked for UPS for 14 years, and you wouldn't believe how familiar drivers and hub personnel become with certain types of boxes, packaging, and shippers. Plus, they tend to remember and/or memorize zip codes like other people memorize the alphabet :)

Having said all that, I still would NOT say anything to the delivery guy. I agree with others who recommend you say something about auto parts or about some other generic product and leave it at that.

twindragons11
02-02-2011, 04:59 PM
say it is cocaine

Aimstr8
02-02-2011, 05:04 PM
If I were to ever order any silver via mail, I'd have it shipped to where I work. I work for a small organization and there are only a few people in the shipping department. Our organization does not have any rules against receiving a shipment this way, so that's what I would do. It would be a pure 'don't ask, don't tell' scenario.

Not only would the delivery driver not suspect anything out of the ordinary (because they deliver heavy boxes all the time to businesses), but the guy on the receiving dock would simply think I'm ordering business supplies.

Plus, I can track the pkg from start to finish, and know that it has been received and signed for...and that it is safe inside waiting for me to pick it up vs. sitting outside my house or wherever.

Chrisadamley
02-02-2011, 05:34 PM
uPS and FedX dont insure bullion.

Well im not sure who actually insured it, but i am 100% positive the UPS guy knows there was something valuable in it.

He called me before delivering, and asked if i was going to be home. He wanted to make sure, because he said he didn't want to be driving around day after day with a high value package.

So he didn't know the exact value, but maybe they have some sort of rating system? Where they put different priority on items? I dont really know, i just know he called to verify i was home because of the value of the package.

jeffford
02-02-2011, 05:35 PM

that would probably get the UPS guy more interested in it:)

Chrisadamley
02-02-2011, 05:36 PM
If I were to ever order any silver via mail, I'd have it shipped to where I work. I work for a small organization and there are only a few people in the shipping department. Our organization does not have any rules against receiving a shipment this way, so that's what I would do. It would be a pure 'don't ask, don't tell' scenario.

Not only would the delivery driver not suspect anything out of the ordinary (because they deliver heavy boxes all the time to businesses), but the guy on the receiving dock would simply think I'm ordering business supplies.

Plus, I can track the pkg from start to finish, and know that it has been received and signed for...and that it is safe inside waiting for me to pick it up vs. sitting outside my house or wherever.

Well you would never just have it sit ourside your house.

Anyone that orders bullion Online or over the phone with a dealer/mint....they should Always have it to be signed for!

You shouldn't even have to request this, they should just always do it.

Koapaka
02-02-2011, 05:48 PM

Whenever ANYONE asks a question I prefer not to answer about ANYTHING, my standard comback is "Why do you ask?".

I have yet to have someone push the issue for more info. It totally throws them off guard.;)

get N set
02-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffford
...if your smart enough to buy silver i would sure hope your smart enough to come up with something clever......if your not have it sent to my house i will handle it....duh

I think the're many people who would not get their jollies there.

Tell the UPS, FEDEX, DHL or USPS delivery person "huh, feels like lead"

Silvery
02-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Yes, the driver's already know...or can easily figure it out (even though A***X abbreviates their name. Especially if they have been driving for awhile...because they get used to seeing the same heavy boxes from the same shippers. Delivery drivers HATE heavy boxes so they always tend to look at where the box originated from (so they can cuss them out under their breath) :)

I worked for UPS for 14 years, and you wouldn't believe how familiar drivers and hub personnel become with certain types of boxes, packaging, and shippers. Plus, they tend to remember and/or memorize zip codes like other people memorize the alphabet :)

Having said all that, I still would NOT say anything to the delivery guy. I agree with others who recommend you say something about auto parts or about some other generic product and leave it at that.

I agree with the above - they know. My brother drives a UPS truck and there are very few boxes that he doesn't know what the contents are.

4846thgd
02-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I say I rewind electric motors.

he says, ah, that's why it's so heavy.

Ember
02-02-2011, 08:46 PM
"I don't know" is always a good answer.

MyBids
02-02-2011, 09:23 PM
I told the UPS guy what was in the box. Broke it out and gave him one. He's
up here a couple times a week with stuff for me or my wife's business. Always he
has 3 biskets for my 3 dogs. And I always tip him a couple Presidential Dollars. At
Christmas I gave him a 1921 silver dollar.

GldGrl
02-02-2011, 09:47 PM
first box, UPS man ran into me at the supermarket and he said, "i've got your catfood delivery."

i said, "whu?"

next time -- okay, nobody better know where i live. ;O --

i said, "lead soldiers. my husband collects lead soldiers. i found a great source for the nice old ones." :)

the boxes are from KITCO.

they are unmarked.
they look like they could be anything. they are insured.

love the ammo, you guys. and bombs. lolol. :)

GldGrl
02-02-2011, 09:50 PM
"nuclear war head." :rolleyes:

Scratchee
02-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Completely by coincidence, I received a case of pistol ammunition from UPS today. It sat on my porch for about ten hours before I got home. I was very surprised to see a sticker on the top of the box that said, "Cartridges, small arms."

urban prospector
02-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Completely by coincidence, I received a case of pistol ammunition from UPS today. It sat on my porch for about ten hours before I got home. I was very surprised to see a sticker on the top of the box that said, "Cartridges, small arms."

gees in oz your get shot for doing that .. all mine comes in sealed tins with heavy engineering parts on the docket tracked and security tag on the 20 litre tin tub

//did a swap with bloke from canada when he was here on holiday .. he decided the swap was unfair so sent me more .. i stuffed up the adress .. it went to another house they hadnt even opened it and i got it back .. .. some cool stuff too i like the wall st mint bars .
tell em its lead as you do self loading

SilverBug
02-02-2011, 10:51 PM
I would tell the UPS man, "with all due respect sir, it is none of your business, please, in turn, respect my privacy. Thank you for the delivery and have a good day." If he were to continue to pry, that would be grounds to contact his boss.
That's that, plain, honest and simple.

Better Late Than Never
02-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Our UPS man, after hauling a rather heavy box onto the porch, asked ''Ammo''?
I said yes. Glad he answered the question because I wasn't prepared for it.
He is a good guy and goes to our church form time to time. Maybe I should tip him a round next time :)

theplantguy
02-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Our UPS man, after hauling a rather heavy box onto the porch, asked ''Ammo''?
I said yes. Glad he answered the question because I wasn't prepared for it.
He is a good guy and goes to our church form time to time. Maybe I should tip him a round next time :)

That would make one more person that knows you have silver. Not good OPSEC

Krank
02-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Tell him they're bricks . . . you're building a patio via mailorder.. . brick by brick.

HelloMeteor
02-02-2011, 11:30 PM

I just shipped $240 face quarters to APMEX. I wrapped it up tight in a couple pieces of cardboard. The guy at the PO was shocked at how heavy the small package was. It's basically solid metal. They KNOW something that heavy is expensive.

But what really annoyed me is that he wasn't at all discreet about telling me that I couldn't insure it for more than $5000. Seriously? How could he possibly think I am comfortable letting all the other people in line know that it's worth MORE than $5000? And when he explicitly asked me what's in it. That really bothered me. I didn't give an answer.

HelloMeteor
02-02-2011, 11:31 PM
You could say: "If I told you I'd have to kill you."

twindragons11
02-02-2011, 11:38 PM
You could say: "If I told you I'd have to kill you."

i had a feeling someone was going to say that....:D

About AG
02-03-2011, 06:36 AM
I would tell the UPS man, "with all due respect sir, it is none of your business, please, in turn, respect my privacy. Thank you for the delivery and have a good day." If he were to continue to pry, that would be grounds to contact his boss.

Ah, but that answer is the most likely to pique his curiosity. Then a quick Google search of "kitco" will find it is not pet food.

ADD: And then he will think that you got a very heavy package containing GOLD BARS!

GetZeeGold
02-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Fishing weights......

.....yes.....it's a true story. :D

ccjoe
02-03-2011, 06:40 AM
Just say copper like I do as everyone thinks it's cheap and not worth much.

tcg1022
02-03-2011, 07:06 AM
I said "Lead for fishing weights"

He said " I didnt know HSBC sold lead...interesting";)

sometimes a simple nod and eye contact is better than saying anything. IMO chances are he will respect your privacy and not say anything. It pays to be nice to your postal delivery man IMO;)

GoldenRam
02-03-2011, 07:14 AM

Does that make "smart" a noun?

Daylight Fading
02-03-2011, 07:24 AM
My mail man pulls up to my house, honks the horn so i will come out... Says I have an expensive package for you to sign for. He says oh really heavy too. I say yeah... It's rocks. He says really expensive rocks! I say yeah, I collect meteorites.... So he says. really, my dad gets packages like this he satcks silver.... hmmmm

MyBids
02-03-2011, 08:00 AM
My mail man pulls up to my house, honks the horn so i will come out... Says I have an expensive package for you to sign for. He says oh really heavy too. I say yeah... It's rocks. He says really expensive rocks! I say yeah, I collect meteorites.... So he says. really, my dad gets packages like this he satcks silver.... hmmmm

My mailman pulled up and said...hey I think they're here.

I said alrighty.

Openned the package and gave him 2 silver dimes from the tube. Made sure
he understood the present value. Gave him a 90% halve for Christmas.

campandrew
02-03-2011, 08:16 AM
I'm all for "tipping".I just find it hard as the postal service is already being "tipped" with my taxes, with off the chart benefits!A.

Silvery
02-03-2011, 08:25 AM
I just shipped $240 face quarters to APMEX. I wrapped it up tight in a couple pieces of cardboard. The guy at the PO was shocked at how heavy the small package was. It's basically solid metal. They KNOW something that heavy is expensive.

But what really annoyed me is that he wasn't at all discreet about telling me that I couldn't insure it for more than $5000. Seriously? How could he possibly think I am comfortable letting all the other people in line know that it's worth MORE than $5000? And when he explicitly asked me what's in it. That really bothered me. I didn't give an answer.

Ok seriously, I've wondered about this if I were ever to sell. Anytime I've mailed a package (non buillion) either through the PO or UPS they *always* ask what's in it. Do most people just come out and say it's gold or silver with people standing behind you?:eek:

MrSilverAG
02-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Ok seriously, I've wondered about this if I were ever to sell. Anytime I've mailed a package (non buillion) either through the PO or UPS they *always* ask what's in it. Do most people just come out and say it's gold or silver with people standing behind you?:eek:

I don't think I've ever been asked directly what is in the package, but they do always ask "If there anything fragile, flammable, liquid or perishable" or if I want to insure it and for how much

CaptainTripps
02-03-2011, 09:52 AM
If they talk about having so much weight in such a small package, well, then use a bigger package and dont make it so obvious.

HighInBC
02-03-2011, 10:03 AM

That is funny. I once had a box full of ballasts and the cab driver asked what was in it. I said "gold bars".

treasureseekers1
02-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Ask him if his supervisor knows ,he's asking people about the contents of their packages.

Scratchee
02-03-2011, 10:14 AM

I hope I don't come off sounding all stuffy here, but in the past when I've been tempted to respond like that, I either did and regretted it, or didn't and was glad I didn't. It's extremely likely that someone who asks "what's in the box" is just making polite small talk. True, if they really pry they can be rebuffed, but I think it's really, really unlikely that a delivery person would pry.

I think a smile along with any sort of non-answer would do the trick just about every time.

treasureseekers1
02-03-2011, 10:27 AM
What really gets me is ,we have to buy their insurance because their the ones who ,steal,loose and break things.
Once we hand our packages over to them ,their the only ones who touch the packages up to the delivery point.

What about insuring empty boxes or maybe with bricks. Make sure the label is clearly written out in bold letters. TO: JOE SMITHS GOLD AND DIAMONDS.

About AG
02-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Since there clearly aren't enough answers here:

UPS: "What's in the box?"
You: "Oh, is it heavy?"
UPS: "Yeah, it weighs a ton!"
[wait until he hands it to you, or say "Let me see"]
You: "Wow, that IS heavy, I must have ordered too much!"

mach1sc
02-03-2011, 12:07 PM
is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the ups trucks are riding a lot lower lately? i bet they have been moving a lot of silver the last 6 months. next time you see one look at how low it is riding.

mespe
02-03-2011, 12:11 PM
What's in the box? Compressed Packing Peanuts :D

Thayer
02-03-2011, 12:19 PM
When he asks, start quoting; “The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.” You know, like Jules in Pulp Fiction. Then, let him have it…and I don’t mean the silver.

old wanderer
02-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Whats in the package??

Ammunition :)

Spinwheel
02-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Emergency anvils.

nyquil
02-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Most of the time they know what's in the box. UPS guys know just about everything about everybody. I talk to our UPS guy all of the time. Always be very courteous to them (as we should be with everybody). However, you don't need to divulge details of your shipments. Try to get comfortable with whatever explanation you give him so you and he don't feel uncomfortable. I do think one should respond with something other than "it's none of your business".

Junkaroo
02-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Don't react this way (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02P4OKTb3OU&NR=1)!!