PDA

View Full Version : why do rounds start toning at the edges

97guns
02-11-2011, 06:06 PM
can someone please explain this phenomenon

jayjay
02-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Most semi-knowledgeable coin collectors only handle coins by grasping the edges. The slightest contact with skin imparts whatever the handler has on the skin. Ergo, the coin, or round, begins to tarnish there.

Or, it could be silver doesn't like to be touched by us. Only worshiped from a distance. :p

SILVER PATRON
02-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Simply put, environmental agents in the air. Hydrogen sulphur based products (like paper, cardboard, albums, canvas bags, envelopes, even the oil on your hands, etc) speeds the process on silver toning. Airtight holders deter the toning process.

Gold less reactive to environment conditions, silver toning (tarnish) can be attractive. Copper, not so (sometimes green). Nickel tones hazy, pale blue or light gold. Aluminum tones gray.

Try an experiment with maybe a cheap (?) silver coin. Buy a small container of flowers of sulphur (yellow powder & available at drug stores - cheap), put a half teaspoon in envelope with coin, shake it around a couple times a day, and in about 3 days, you have a toned coin. Its a good lesson to learn about buying toned coins - real or artificial?

Hope this helps.

97guns
02-11-2011, 07:37 PM
yes, ty.

can an eagle with toning be considered BU?

nickndfl
02-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Over a twenty year period the humidity in South Florida ruined all my soft pack U.S. silver coin proof and mint sets. They were stored in a closet and rarely taken out. I had sets going all the way back to the early 1950s up through the 1990s. What a shame since I purchased proof and uncirculated specifically for their quality.

Now I only buy gold since it isn't easily affected unless it sinks to the bottom of the ocean and becomes coral encrusted.

calmbreeze
02-11-2011, 10:00 PM
A lot of rounds are kept in tubes over a period of time and at first begin to tarnish from air that creeps in from the top and down the inside of the tube where it comes in contact with the edges of each round. Also many rounds that are packaged and sealed individually first begin to tarnish on the edges because this is where most of the air inside the plastic is located.

Spanky
02-11-2011, 11:15 PM
can someone please explain this phenomenon

It's sometimes called "Bullseye" Toning in Numi. Circles...come from Coin Edge Proximity to the Reactive Agents (Air/Humidity/Greasey Coin Dealer Fingers..)..as I Understand it..or don't...

jayjay
02-12-2011, 04:12 AM
yes, ty.

can an eagle with toning be considered BU?

Certainly. Unless it's retarded.