PDA

View Full Version : For the self employed procastinators - a silver solution 4 u?

joethebummer
03-29-2011, 02:55 PM
So i have a HUGE problem with focus and procastination. as im self employed this is very dangerous to my business. As 'self' employed i must of course manage myself and time both of which i am horrible at.

if your self employed you will only get paid when YOU finish the job the clients satisfaction. that means:

A) you have to take full responsibility for the work and GET ER DONE
B) the client must be happy, if not return to step A
C) you finally get paid when both part A and B is true

So ive started to employ the old carrot trick (i already get the stick treatment from the client and myself). its pretty simple

Get yourself your favorite silver coins. They should be 1 ounce. And get a nice big stack..say 10 coins. Put them in a tube.

Now, start a timer and plan for an hour of work. In that hour do nothing but the job at hand. the job the client is paying you. the side tracks in the job that require you to get the job done, etc. Just try to make that hour productive and focus above all to provide value for that hour

Once the timer rings..PAY YOUR SELF AN OUNCE OF SILVER..

however...this is HONEST MONEY..therefore if you were slacking (as im doing now snicker) then deduct from the timer..in otherwords you will have to spend EVEN MORE TIME NOW to get that ounce. you have effectively devalued your time (and increased your cost per ounce)

the more you cant focus and procastinate..the more time it will take to earn your ounce of silver....which effectivly means your silver ounce is MORE EXPENSIVE TO YOU because of YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT

let me correct that - MY OWN DAMN FAULT! :mad:

Now then..at the end of the day..look at the stack you earned..can you even call it a stack? or is it just 1 or 2 coins for the entire day?

my personal efficiency and productivity goal is to EARN 5 OUNCES OF HONEST MONEY FOR AN 5 HOURS OF HONEST WORK

right now..5 hours have passed since i sat down 'to work'..my stack only shows 2 ounces..darnit!

of course once im done with my work and bill the client and get paid, i can treat myself to the ounces from my stack that i did during this project...so if i only did 10 honest ounces of work..then thats what i can allow myself to buy

nah..ill be buying more ..but you get the point :D

note also....

if you are employed and draw a salary..then its just like your boss is coming by your desk every hour and giving you an ounce of silver. if you were slacking off..HE STILL PAYS YOU...you can put your feet up against yoru desk and YOU STILL walk away with several ounces of silver a day.

thus, perhaps you can go into work with the attitude.."How many honest ounces of work did i produce between these 2 week pay period?" And if you are adding more ounces of honest work over time..then go ahead and use THAT as your reward for buying the real metal when the pay check comes.

Jamesbong
03-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Sorry I just don't comprehend people viewing gold and silver as HONEST money.l Always had a problem stacking with a clear conscious, alot of dirt behind the scenes. About the boss coming over while your at your desk analogy-I would imagine majority of jobs where someone's wearing a suit and tie or sitting behind a desk pushing a pen is not HONEST money anyways. Not trying to play devil's advocate, but I just don't think like that.

IAMCANADIAN
03-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Sorry I just don't comprehend people viewing gold and silver as HONEST money.l Always had a problem stacking with a clear conscious, alot of dirt behind the scenes. About the boss coming over while your at your desk analogy-I would imagine majority of jobs where someone's wearing a suit and tie or sitting behind a desk pushing a pen is not HONEST money anyways. Not trying to play devil's advocate, but I just don't think like that.

1. Huh? :confused:
2. "alot" is not a word.
3. Huh? :confused:

bigguy53
03-29-2011, 03:52 PM
To really get you motivated you should send me that ounce. I might get rich!!

Jamesbong
03-29-2011, 03:59 PM
1. Huh? :confused:
2. "alot" is not a word.
3. Huh? :confused:

Got Miracle Ear?

Gold Standard
03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
My sole proprietorship is more lucrative.

I pay myself a 1/10 oz gold fractional per hour. ;)

joethebummer
03-29-2011, 04:12 PM
My sole proprietorship is more lucrative.

I pay myself a 1/10 oz gold fractional per hour. ;)

i wish i was that efficient to build up my business to that level...what is your story/secret?

theplantguy
03-29-2011, 05:12 PM
I'm self employed (some might say unemployed).........I use a set percentage of my net (after estimated tax set aside) for PMs.

govikesgo
03-29-2011, 05:35 PM
That might work to motivate a child, but I don't need to motivate myself. I own my own business and love what I do. My hard work allows me to slack when I need to. You already own the silver, what kind of trick are you trying to teach yourself? Perhaps a course in time management might be appropriate. Whatever works for you.

silverrush
03-29-2011, 07:26 PM
That might work to motivate a child, but I don't need to motivate myself. I own my own business and love what I do. My hard work allows me to slack when I need to. You already own the silver, what kind of trick are you trying to teach yourself? Perhaps a course in time management might be appropriate. Whatever works for you.

someones a debby downer :rolleyes:

joethebummer
03-29-2011, 07:32 PM
someones a debby downer :rolleyes:

hey..thats me!

AR HOGS
03-29-2011, 07:35 PM
self employed here also , I coudn't sit in a bosses box (cubecal) all day

HighInBC
03-29-2011, 09:14 PM
I don't get it, you already have the silver. If you don't work hard do you deny yourself access to your silver? What if you never get the job done, do you throw the silver out, give it away, or just keep it anyways?

If you can make the decision to motivate yourself to work with silver you already own, why not just make make the decision to work?

onealpha
03-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Isn't it already your silver? Did you care if you put in 5 hours or 2 hours of honest work if the same job is done to the clients satisfaction? How much silver could a silversmith coin if a silversmith could coin silver? Honestly, I didnt really understand what your point was, but I am just playing with you. But if it works for you keep on doing it. Keep stackin em

cheesybread
03-29-2011, 10:32 PM
I sit in front of a computer in the dark overnight :( but I am able to pay myself 50 silver a month.