PDA

View Full Version : Flea market score

HighInBC
04-03-2011, 02:12 PM
I was at the local flea market today and found a fork with old hallmarks on it including the rampant lion indicating it was sterling.

I didn't have my scales but I risked $30 for it. When I got home I found it had $55.36 worth of silver in it. This means I got it for about 54% its value.

The markings also indicate that it was made by John James Whiting in London in 1838 and that tax was paid to Queen Victoria(I think that was the year she was coronated).

After 173 years it is still a perfectly fine fork and it cleaned up very nicely. I will eat with it for a few decades before I sell it.

Still good deals to be had.

Ortofon
04-03-2011, 02:16 PM
the story about the fork is probably worth as much as the fork.

AR HOGS
04-03-2011, 02:53 PM
makes you wonder , after 173 years ,how many have ate from
that fork ????

uksilverhoarder
04-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Handle is gonna be steel core surely? I know the silver knives are like that.. I dont risk on cutlery purely for that reason..

HighInBC
04-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Handle is gonna be steel core surely? I know the silver knives are like that.. I dont risk on cutlery purely for that reason..

Knives are like that because silver is to soft for a proper blade. The rampant lion hallmark signifies that it is solid sterling. You certainly don't want to try buying silverware without doing a bit of research first though.

cc dollar
04-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Can you show use the hallmark lion so we know what it looks like? TKS.

JeJjr
04-03-2011, 03:59 PM
I've never melted a fork or spoon thats had a hollow core yet out of 100's of sets. Knives are the only thing I have personally ran in to that has had hollow handles and steel blades. But its nothing a magnet would not find.

HighInBC
04-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Can you show use the hallmark lion so we know what it looks like? TKS.

The rampant lion hallmark looks like this:

http://images.highinbc.com/rampant lion.jpg

GDAY2U
04-03-2011, 04:57 PM
the story about the fork is probably worth as much as the fork.
Or the DNA on the fork from someone of note.

halfhunter
04-03-2011, 05:26 PM
The rampant lion hallmark looks like this:

http://images.highinbc.com/rampant lion.jpg

Damn good photography there, HighInBC ! ! !

HH

HighInBC
04-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Damn good photography there, HighInBC ! ! !

HH

It is easy with my USB microscope. I got it because I buy scrap rings, many of which still look good which I sell for more than melt value. High quality pictures of the hallmark really drives up the bidding.