PDA

View Full Version : The 'general' public already knows!

AgAddicted
04-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Where do you think I came from? :D

Or have you thought about where all the new members are coming from?

I've seen a lot of people say that the price is going to explode (last few days ring a bell?) when the 'general' public gets wind. I've seen them called something along the lines of 'wal-mart' buyers.

I've seen people say that they will think about selling when they see lines of people waiting to buy silver like they did in 80. I've thought about that lately. I don't think you will see lines like they did in 80. I think the "lines" have already been formed. We're all onLINE. :D You no longer have to go to a brick and mortar place to buy.

We are the general public, and we're here to stay! :p

until it collapses and we get skeerd!

doobsta
04-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Even if they "know"...are they buying?

Grab a video camera, go out ask 100 people how much metal they have bought and what were the reasons that prompted them to buy.

Come back post results...

I expect you will get 0...and if your real lucky, maybe 1 person will have put investment capital or savings into silver or gold.

Silver Dog
04-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Doobsta is right, although in the silver market's case I wouldn't use the everyday person as a bubble indicator. Anyone here invested in oil when it ran up to $145 a barrel? Anyone invested in oil right now? Our little chicken feed investments don't really amount to a hill of beans. Don't ya like that expression, "don't amount to a hill of beans?" :D

coindog
04-20-2011, 10:07 PM
i would agree with 1in100 people do now but do it again 10 days after the $50 mark. that ($50) will get it all over the MSM and then the real rush will be on.

Gimpy
04-20-2011, 10:14 PM
i would agree with 1in100 people do now but do it again 10 days after the $50 mark. that ($50) will get it all over the MSM and then the real rush will be on.

I would like to believe this, but the people who hear about it then will in my opinion be the same ones who are sure silver will collapse, not the dollar. My wife's family still think I'm some right wing conspiracy theorist buying silver. Then in the next breath they whine about how they lost hundreds of thousands in '08 in their 401k. One of them is so brilliant about it all that she took a loan against her 401k for close to 100k to blow on God only knows what. My point is that some people won't believe what is happening because they don't want to kind of like the emperor with his new clothes.

Roadrunner777
04-20-2011, 10:16 PM
In the month of January, about 150 people joined the kitco forums. In the last 30 days, only 97 have joined. While not a precise measure (what would be?), it should be a reasonable indicator. I think I joined within a week of first Ag thoughts.

If that makes sense to you, then, no, there is no rush, not yet. I'm not sure there will be... people are not doing very good right now, and I don't think it's going to get better until well after something radical happens.

Bman2011
04-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Where do you think I came from? :D

Or have you thought about where all the new members are coming from?

I've seen a lot of people say that the price is going to explode (last few days ring a bell?) when the 'general' public gets wind. I've seen them called something along the lines of 'wal-mart' buyers.

I've seen people say that they will think about selling when they see lines of people waiting to buy silver like they did in 80. I've thought about that lately. I don't think you will see lines like they did in 80. I think the "lines" have already been formed. We're all onLINE. :D You no longer have to go to a brick and mortar place to buy.

We are the general public, and we're here to stay! :p

Mark Dice offers $1150 worth of gold for free to random people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAaVK5AkZzI

And we know how much silver is talked about on TV, in relation to gold... LOL!

Rookie sock puppets are our favorite chew toys!

jbsilver
04-20-2011, 10:36 PM

If 1 in 100 people ( I mean adult taxpayers in USA) would know... what we know.... it would mean we could expect 200,000,000 oz of silver (assuming average stack only around 200 oz in a year) to be drained from silver market by "little boys" . :) 200oz is just average as I know that some "little boys" would have 1000 oz and some only 50 oz.

If/when 1 in 100 people will know... 1 oz of silver will probably cost the same what gold right now.

socaldsal
04-21-2011, 05:13 AM
You know what's funny, if you are at the brick and mortar store long enough, and you're near a base, you will notice many PM buyers are military. I'm former as well. I notice more people coming in to sell, rather than to buy. Usually just by going on clothing, mannerisms, etc., the ones selling should probably be the ones holding the hardest. When I see less sellers and more buyers outside of my regional demographic, then I'll be convinced that it's become common knowledge.

II DALTON II
04-21-2011, 05:31 AM
I think most everyone here can be classed as part of the General Public. The difference is that we had the guts to question the status quo and that is what led us here.

GetZeeGold
04-21-2011, 05:33 AM
The 'general' public already knows!

Not even close pepe.:cool:

aurel57
04-21-2011, 05:50 AM
Doobsta is right, although in the silver market's case I wouldn't use the everyday person as a bubble indicator. Anyone here invested in oil when it ran up to $145 a barrel? Anyone invested in oil right now? Our little chicken feed investments don't really amount to a hill of beans. Don't ya like that expression, "don't amount to a hill of beans?" :D

Well I am invested in OIL. Small oil wells right here in Indiana, but at $100+ oil they are doing very good. What I hate was in 2008 when we sold oil for $120 a barrel we thought we would never see under $75 again...we were wrong! Went all the way back to @$30+. Just drilled a new well 2 weeks ago and getting ready to drill another. Holding onto all of my Gold and Silver, I treat it as a insurance policy against my other assets.

GetZeeGold
04-21-2011, 05:51 AM
Well I am invested in OIL.

You seem to be lost.....the POO board is over there. :D

brewboss
04-21-2011, 07:08 AM
You know what's funny, if you are at the brick and mortar store long enough, and you're near a base, you will notice many PM buyers are military. I'm former as well. I notice more people coming in to sell, rather than to buy. Usually just by going on clothing, mannerisms, etc., the ones selling should probably be the ones holding the hardest. When I see less sellers and more buyers outside of my regional demographic, then I'll be convinced that it's become common knowledge.

Interesting. You are tallking about me in this post (among many I am sure). I am stopping to buy more today. I'll ask the guys at my LCS (just off the base) if there are a lot of military people buying. I'll post about it tonight, just so you can see whats happening here in the northeast.

Ortofon
04-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Ask the general public how many self-directed investments they have, at all.

Koapaka
04-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Interesting. You are tallking about me in this post (among many I am sure). I am stopping to buy more today. I'll ask the guys at my LCS (just off the base) if there are a lot of military people buying. I'll post about it tonight, just so you can see whats happening here in the northeast.

Likewise here. Funny that our 5 military kids "get it" and our lone, "civilian" kid does not think it is necessary...wonder why that is???

Being retired military ourselves, I have to wonder if it is just "chance" that our one daughter that did not go into the military has a different mindset...

Da Furry Rodent
04-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Ask the general public how many self-directed investments they have, at all.

+1
The general public has for many, many years been weaned off of making investment decisions themselves without the 'help' of a 'professional'.

DFR

American_Jedi
04-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Mark Dice offers $1150 worth of gold for free to random people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAaVK5AkZzI

And we know how much silver is talked about on TV, in relation to gold... LOL!

Rookie sock puppets are our favorite chew toys!

I saw this about a year ago, I would be laughing if it wasn't so true.

I'm just glad I don't live in a big city or metropolitan area.

American_Jedi
04-21-2011, 08:14 AM
Just a little follow-up........

ONE OUNCE GOLD AMERICAN EAGLE WON'T BUY A TACO BELL GMO TACO!!:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef0VG1WEP10&feature=channel_video_title

Damn gutter metal, it won't even keep you fed LOL!!!:rolleyes:

GetZeeGold
04-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Just a little follow-up.....

Some further follow up......they could have flipped it for a $100 dolla bill.

.....hold the hot sauce. :D

999FINE
04-21-2011, 09:15 AM
I think it will be time to sell shortly (maybe a year) after Wal-Mart starts selling silver...

revitup
04-21-2011, 09:40 AM
I have a financial advisor. My wife has a financial advosor. Our tax guy is a finacial advisor. All of them, never, ever mention PMs. We usually get their calls a couple of times per year flogging bonds, there best funds do about 25%.

johndaniels
04-21-2011, 09:43 AM
one thing for sure.

the coin shops are a lot busier!

moonstears
04-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Imagine we're all at a blackjack table. We sit at once and the guy at first base wins the first hand with 21, then again, then again. We mumble a little, then "oohhh and ahhh" and then say wow. After several minutes we notice each hand the dealer coughs, blinks or twitches, and the guy winning pays keen attention. At some point some of us gather chips and walk away looking for an alternative table. Dealing tonight is the Mr. Ben FEDRes, at the dollar table. At 1st base, the Jamie Bankelite. We are Joe Sixpack. As many see us few walk away, they too, begin to wonder, "is this a con?". We'll see more of this especially with US dollar under 74. That spells inflation, for J6P. Maybe some go here to the CAD table, eventually it's rigged too, you'll find. Most here play at gold table or silver or some combination. Anything that's FAIR, and unfortunately very few of the tables are fair, so we're learning. It's that simple.

Curto
04-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Just a little follow-up........

ONE OUNCE GOLD AMERICAN EAGLE WON'T BUY A TACO BELL GMO TACO!!:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef0VG1WEP10&feature=channel_video_title

Damn gutter metal, it won't even keep you fed LOL!!!:rolleyes:
There are many paranoid people here who won't buy from the bay without a full assay. MOST members, or should I call you "elites" are very afraid of getting counterfeit goods yet you will snicker when some fool tries to sell a stranger gold on the cheap.

DYODD, how many times have I read that? More in line with the OP, the general public knows about gold and silver. The general public does not have any extra money to buy pm's.

nealeffendi
04-21-2011, 10:43 AM
If 1 in 100 people ( I mean adult taxpayers in USA) would know... what we know.... it would mean we could expect 200,000,000 oz of silver (assuming average stack only around 200 oz in a year) to be drained from silver market by "little boys" . :) 200oz is just average as I know that some "little boys" would have 1000 oz and some only 50 oz.

If/when 1 in 100 people will know... 1 oz of silver will probably cost the same what gold right now.

I'm a stacker in Australia, I've also seen plenty of stackers in this forum from the UK and the rest of Europe discussing VAT. Also stackers in Japan and Thailand and many other countries (heck Kitco is Canadian so there must be a few stackers there). We non Yank stackers possibly (probably?) stack more than you Yanks (and the Chindians possibly stack more than the rest of the world).
If only 0.1% of the worlds 3 billion adults were stackers then to get to 200oz average would require 600 million ounces annually. 1%? fogetaboutit!

ILUVPMs
04-21-2011, 10:49 AM
i live in the financial district and really close to the bank of nova scotia ( scotia mocatta)... once there is a BIG line up for buying silver and gold.. ill let everyone know about it... :D then ill be selling!!

Castillb2010
04-21-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't know a single person other than myself that has been buying PM.

Sownman
04-21-2011, 10:50 AM
You guys ever notice all the "we buy gold" ads. It's been a red flag to buy not sell for years.

nealeffendi
04-21-2011, 11:00 AM
DYODD, how many times have I read that? More in line with the OP, the general public knows about gold and silver. The general public does not have any extra money to buy pm's.

The public does not have any extra money to buy pm's:confused:
So if they don't have even $50 to buy an ounce then how do they have the money to buy nice shoes? or a carton of cigarettes? or a slab of beer? or eat at a restaurant? or get cable TV? or buy electronics? etc, etc ad nauseum.
Its not a lack of fiat to buy PM's that stops the public from buying (especially if they know about gold and silver as you claim). Either they don't know/they don't care or they don't have the will to cut back on their other choices to free up fiat to buy PM's.
Its the careless and ignorant ways of the general public (I'll charge it! 'cause the bill won't come in till the end of the month)) that is destroying the consumerist society thats up to its neck in debt.:(

Stacker2
04-21-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't know a single person other than myself that has been buying PM.

Me neither,I find that strange as much as Fox news talks about it and they are #1.:confused:

Atlas Shrugged
04-21-2011, 12:52 PM
The GP peripherally knows about PMs, but they are virgins to the process and will not follow up on buying because of normalization.

Every things gonna be ALLLLLLL RIIIIGHT. Hey is Idol on tonight? What is JLo doing? That TMZ was a gut buster....:cool:

bak875
04-21-2011, 12:55 PM
I asked a friend today in England whether he or anyone he knows stacks Gold/Silver.............there was a pause for like 30 seconds he then says "I think your earning to much money"

Stacker2
04-21-2011, 12:56 PM
The GP peripherally knows about PMs, but they are virgins to the process and will not follow up on buying because of normalization.

Every things gonna be ALLLLLLL RIIIIGHT. Hey is Idol on tonight? What is JLo doing? That TMZ was a gut buster....:cool:

THAT SAYS IT ALL!:cool:

Thx1138
04-21-2011, 12:57 PM

I have similar thoughts, but I think the MSM will come up with something like this...

"Silver! Silver hit an all time high today surpassing the record set in 1980 when the Hunt Bros. manipulated silver, artificially boosting the price and after crashing wiping out the life savings of thousands..."

Thx :o

lonewolf
04-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Kudlow says something to that effect everyday on cnbc...then he switches to free market capitalism and stocks and American industry and innovation....

SilverFinger
04-21-2011, 01:10 PM
I've read every comment in here....and taking in consideration everyone...I can resolve this debate.

The General Public Does NOT know about silver yet.

Just walk up to 10 people randomly on the streets and ask them what the prioce of silver is roughly and ounce....they won't know. not even close within 5 dollars....maybe 1 or 2 within 10 know.

Atlas Shrugged
04-21-2011, 01:12 PM
I have similar thoughts, but I think the MSM will come up with something like this...

"Silver! Silver hit an all time high today surpassing the record set in 1980 when the Hunt Bros. manipulated silver, artificially boosting the price and after crashing wiping out the life savings of thousands..."

Thx :o

Check out Financial Times; they have a story TODAY that traders are now buying into "conspiracy theories" on why silver is going up so much. Billionaire Russian, China banks, etc.

I agree, they will use a narrative that basically says "yes it has gone up alot, but it is a bubble and you will lose EVERYTHING if you buy it":eek:

Thx1138
04-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Check out Financial Times; they have a story TODAY that traders are now buying into "conspiracy theories" on why silver is going up so much. Billionaire Russian, China banks, etc.

I agree, they will use a narrative that basically says "yes it has gone up alot, but it is a bubble and you will lose EVERYTHING if you buy it":eek:

Right!

I just don't expect the MSM to do anything that is not in their interests.

People starting to practice dangerous thinking like breaking away from the status quo with silver is not in their interests. :eek:

Thx :)

blitzdude
04-21-2011, 01:28 PM
In the month of January, about 150 people joined the kitco forums. In the last 30 days, only 97 have joined. While not a precise measure (what would be?), it should be a reasonable indicator. I think I joined within a week of first Ag thoughts.

If that makes sense to you, then, no, there is no rush, not yet. I'm not sure there will be... people are not doing very good right now, and I don't think it's going to get better until well after something radical happens.

I was reading this forum for well over a year before I joined. I also know silver stackers who have no idea what the Kitco fourm is or even what Kitco is for that matter. I see your logic but don't think it's an accurate indicator.

What I do know is talk around the water cooler has turned to Silver and everyone there is buying. Every other commercial on Sirius Radio is about gold and silver and Ebay premiums have recently went higher than I have ever seen. All you have to do is look at the price to determine the rush is on. IMO we see $120 before the bubble pops though..........;)

jeff_jenkins
04-21-2011, 02:07 PM
I've read every comment in here....and taking in consideration everyone...I can resolve this debate.

The General Public Does NOT know about silver yet.

Just walk up to 10 people randomly on the streets and ask them what the prioce of silver is roughly and ounce....they won't know. not even close within 5 dollars....maybe 1 or 2 within 10 know.

I just picked up 8 ounces. Then I went to the gas station to grab some water, but left my wallet in the car. So before I went out to get it, I was like can I pay with this to the lady. She's like wow that's nice...what is it? I said an oz of silver. then I asked her how much she thought it cost...and she said a dollar? I was like no 46, and she just gave me a blank stare... like ok?

It's a psychological thing with buying silver, and has an addiction sort of mentality to it. You could tell me to try heroin and how great it feels... obviously I wouldn't try it...but if I did, I'd bet I'd want more of it. So people have to take the dive into silver and purchaser that first OZ, and then you want more of it. I don't think it has anything to do with the price of silver really. Coins shops could advertise 50% off on silver for 1 day, and still I think no one new would buy (not including people who have been thinking about buying) even though you would double your net worth if you put all your money into silver on that day they offered a 50% sale on it.

Ag gnostic
04-21-2011, 02:21 PM
I think it will be time to sell shortly (maybe a year) after Wal-Mart starts selling silver...

My local grocery store started selling it. It's in jewelry form, but the guy said it was both plated and 10k (i think). It looked like they had both silver & gold stuff. That worried me, actually.

Bman2011
04-21-2011, 02:31 PM
I have a financial advisor. My wife has a financial advosor. Our tax guy is a finacial advisor. All of them, never, ever mention PMs. We usually get their calls a couple of times per year flogging bonds, there best funds do about 25%.

I used to have a friend who was an advisor. He said the firms that hire advisors generally do not allow any kind of commission to be made off of PMs. The paperwork is not easily figured out since the firm does not have a pre-existing relationship with any PM dealers.

So if you want to move your clients into PMs, he said you have to 1) not make any commission on it, 2) go against the grain of your firm which likely oversees all of your client portfolio changes (so you are going to hear about it from the manager of your branch -- the "risk" talk and such), and 3) your will need to hire your own admin to handle the additional paperwork and follow-up, since none of this will be done by your firm.

My friend predicted the market "crash" of 2008 and wanted to move clients into PMs. The manager of his firm bashed him at a meeting with all the advisors, for even mentioning it.

In my own experience with hiring advisors, anytime I bring up PMs, they do what they can to push me away from buying any. This is why I had to figure out how to buy and sell PMs on my own -- I couldn't hire anyone to give me good advice or to make the purchase for me.

Tom F
04-21-2011, 03:37 PM
I have a 401k with T. Row Price that I'm allowed to take two withdraws a year from. I took my second one for this year last week. I just got a call form them wanting to know if I would like to roll it over to an IRA so I could more control over the number of withdraws I could make. I ask if they could do a physical silver IRA. He said no then ask why I was interested in that. I told him I have been buying silver and I used my last withdraw to do so. He then asked what the price of silver was $30-$35? I told him that today it was $46 and he couldn't believe it. This would make think the general public still have no idea.

socaldsal
04-22-2011, 06:34 AM

That would be interesting, and I'd like to hear what's going on.

Yes the general public knows, "Jammin' Z 90 (FM 90.3)" a rap/hip-hop radio station occasionally has a spot about buying PM (rare), but usually very early morning or really late at night. Talk radio (KOGO AM 600) also does, usually everyone who has a show on there is pushing it (everyday). I think AM radio can reach a wider audience compared to the FM station, at least the audience that can buy a good chunk of it.

It's after today that I started getting really skittish about the price. It's been going almost at a dollar a day, and I'm thinking with the whole manipulation conspiracy thing making MSM that some group, or multiple groups thinking the same thing, could be driving the price along with the fears of the USD to cull a profit from the gains. I watch a lot of History Channel, and the ad's are there, in commercial breaks during "Top Shot" and such. Even where I work in the medical field, lots of people I see are asking me if I'm in silver or gold. It's usually silver because I keep hearing that same thing, "We don't have the money to put enough in to it." We are NOT the only ones buying from Pr*****t, A***x, etc.

I always kept in mind, when it seems like it's going to be the "thing", it's time to start looking at your exit. Timing your exit is what matters. For ratio's sake, I traded what worked out to be around one 20 coin sheet for 6 tenth oz coins. Depending on what comes up in May, I MAY do more of those trades at larger quantities. A little bag of gold doesn't have the same weight as a folder full of silver, but it shines the same to me.

Don't get me wrong, I like my silver. Love it. But I'm considering keeping only what makes me smile out of memories associated with an item. I'm back to buying only what I like from the aesthetic standpoint, my "one of everything but only artful things" rule. I picked up a nice "Bill of Rights" 1oz generic during my trade. Anything that reminds me of the strong and steadfast rules of the America that I love are what I dig. Anything Army or Navy related, as well as anything medical. Enjoying what you bought has got to be a keystone of what you buy, that way in case things don't go as planned you aren't looking at an ugly "Merry Christmas 1973" bar with a Santa Elvis on it....unless you like that stuff. For me that stuff is reserved usually for the trading bucket next to the aluminum cans. :)

Traitor
04-22-2011, 06:28 PM
I recently took a pedicab after a Suns game one night. The guy hauled me a few blocks and when I reached my destination I made him an offer: ten bucks or an ounce of silver (silver in the 30 something range at the time). He quickly replied ten bucks. I then asked him if he had any idea how much an ounce of silver was worth and he guess a few bucks. When I told him he just turned something worth roughly 30 something he just shrugged his shoulders and rode off.

A couple months back I offered an ounce of silver to a guy at one of those mexican used tire shops you see around town here. He knew what it was and seemed to consider it for a second but then said cash only. At the time the silver price was about a buck more than the price he wanted for the tire.

I have my doubts about the public.

mk3hunter
04-22-2011, 06:44 PM
peolpe can know all they want.....its like washingtondc talking about the budget.....talk is cheap and in washingtondc its worthless.......its when people buy then you'll have something to talk about.

people may talk about metals because they hear about it.......owning them is another story....