PDA

View Full Version : Biggest one day fall

nealeffendi
04-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Currently the table over at Kitco silver shows silver has fallen $3.86 today from the peak ($49.89 to 46.02).
Has silver ever fallen that much outside the Hunt collapse? (and with the rate its declining could today be the day both when the Hunts price was exceeded AND the biggest fall in a day:eek: )
BTW Kitco has for several minutes now been using a graph with dollar increments. Never seen that before.
Heck just before hitting the enter key I checked again and the fall is over $4.
Might be a last chance for people to back their trucks up

Moonstruck
04-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Just filling the gap. It's going to be a wild ride this week.....:eek:

AgStacker
04-25-2011, 10:55 AM
We are about .50 down from last close. Intraday action is a different animal.

Consider that a probing maneuver into enemy territory, now we know what they have and will be better prepared next time in to the high 40's.

itsgavinc
04-25-2011, 11:00 AM
1) $3-5 swings in intraday should be considered normal, in my opinion, especially as we start a huge ascent into uncharted territories.

2) NY markets seem to often ignore the Asian market work. How often do we see a drop after the Asian takes us higher? Most of the time.

3) 2011 silver is just getting a full head of steam. All indicators are green for buy and hold.

lightningproof
04-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Consider that a probing maneuver into enemy territory, now we know what they have and will be better prepared next time in to the high 40's.

How, why and what do we do to be better prepared?
Thanks

MN1987
04-25-2011, 11:57 AM
"The sky is falling" sentiments aside, what was the reason for the drop? Anyone want to speculate? I know the dollar index was up for a bit earlier, but not by a lot at all. Profit taking/the housing numbers?

spankthatbass
04-25-2011, 12:08 PM
The biggest drop that I have witnessed was the 08 crash. We lost 12% in one trading day. $1.8x if I remember correctly.

I don't know the Hunt Bro. numbers other than silver lost 50% in 4 days.

Tinabell
04-25-2011, 12:25 PM
You cannot get a ride like this at the 'county fair'.

Tinabell
04-25-2011, 12:29 PM
"The sky is falling" sentiments aside, what was the reason for the drop? Anyone want to speculate? I know the dollar index was up for a bit earlier, but not by a lot at all. Profit taking/the housing numbers?

It 'might' be JPM's final effort. It will be interesting to see if this happens again this week. If not, we go by $50.00.

999FINE
04-25-2011, 12:31 PM
all of the too the moon predictions are coming true

and its really really scary

Feral child
04-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Personally, I think it's a mistake to evaluate these swings in dollars at this point, think percentages....

Prospector
04-25-2011, 06:50 PM
That is 7.74%. That is a yawner. Silver jumps that much all the time. Well, every now and then, ok?

And speaking of percents, it's a waste of energy baking a cake for every dollar move. A buck is only 2% now. Back when spot was ten bux, a one buck move was 10%. Now a buck is just a ho-hum squiggle.

Cupcakes! You could make numbered cupcakes and rearrange them for ... Oh, never mind!

Figment
04-25-2011, 06:52 PM
That is 7.74%. That is a yawner. Silver jumps that much all the time. Well, every now and then, ok?

And speaking of percents, it's a waste of energy baking a cake for every dollar move. A buck is only 2% now. Back when spot was ten bux, a one buck move was 10%. Now a buck is just a ho-hum squiggle.

Cupcakes! You could make numbered cupcakes and rearrange them for ... Oh, never mind!

ditto ''';

jogslvr
04-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Some people (and large funds) take profits from time to time. I do too.

Mellow Yellow
04-25-2011, 07:12 PM

I think that is a significant swing. It's the new normal.

eurocon
04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Wait a minute, how much can gold drop by in a .. minute lol. Wild volatility is a sign of silvers successes! The higher it goes the wilder the swings are, cant wait for it to plummet $25 in an afternoon :P

stag15
04-25-2011, 08:00 PM
all of the too the moon predictions are coming true

and its really really scary

I agree, I started scaling back my purchases when silver went over $18. Never in my life did I expect it to be $50 a few months later. Im glad I bought a lot under $15, but still wishing I bought more.

dacrunch
04-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Biggest one day fall

No effin' way, in percentage terms... Dollars don't mean nada... a $3 "drop" at this level is like a $1.50 drop @ $25 spot or a $0.75 drop @ $12.50 spot...

Gotta think "logarithmic", i.e. PERCENTAGE rises & falls...

dacrunch
04-25-2011, 11:35 PM
It 'might' be JPM's final effort. It will be interesting to see if this happens again this week. If not, we go by $50.00.

Yepper, them & their bed-buddies with the never-ending deep fiat pockets at the Fed & Treasury, playing "paper" on the Comex, while the LBME London market was closed for Easter Monday...

Physical is the answer... More & more of the "big guys" are "taking delivery"... from what I hear over at http://www.maxkeiser.com (the spark behind the "Silver $500 Crash JPMorgan" campaign...

Add to that the brand new possibility (and encouragement) of the Chinese POPULATION to own physical silver (and gold)... India being a net importer of Silver (and their population "switching" to silver from gold since silver's "more affordable")... the news just released that China wants to "de-leverage" out of 2/3rds of its US Dollar holdings... Take a pick!

:cool: