PDA

View Full Version : Junk Silver Surprises

Intrepid
05-14-2011, 12:32 AM
My most recent delivery of 90% junk silver coins included several "walking liberty" half dollars with dates as early as 1917 that are highly worn and highly polished. Are these coins worth any more or any less than a circulated 1964 Kennedy half dollar?

I also discovered a couple of Barber quarters (one in "good" condition and one a bit less than "good"). Assuming common dates, are these worth much more than a circulated Washington silver quarter?

GDAY2U
05-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Probably worth slightly less because of the wear, the silver in those old worn coins was literally wore off so they have less actual silver content than a more recent example.

SILVER PATRON
05-14-2011, 12:51 AM
Guess that's why it's called junk silver.

Intrepid
05-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Probably worth slightly less because of the wear, the silver in those old worn coins was literally wore off so they have less actual silver content than a more recent example.

But they're pretty! One of the polished coins ('45) is actually in quite good condition (e.g., you can see the stripes in Ms. Liberty's dress and all of the eagle's feathers) and weighs as much as a nice '64 Kennedy. Does the cleaning and polishing diminish the value of this semi-numismatic coin?

Intrepid
05-14-2011, 01:59 AM
I also discovered some Barber and "Standing Liberty" quarters, which I noticed Apmx sells in "average circulated" condition for more than Washington quarters. The date on most of these quarters is not legible, however. Would they qualify as "average circulated" condition? Are those with legible (common) dates worth much more than a silver Washington quarter?

rodzm
05-14-2011, 02:08 AM
I actually found in a Ebay junk lot of Standing Liberty Quarters a 1921 Quarter. The quarter was basically missing the entire date except for the #1 which was very faint. Sent it to get graded at PCGS and it came back a G4 grade....price guide puts it at $180. Not bad for having paid about $125 for the entire roll of quarters

coindog
05-14-2011, 04:20 AM
I also discovered some Barber and "Standing Liberty" quarters, which I noticed Apmx sells in "average circulated" condition for more than Washington quarters. The date on most of these quarters is not legible, however. Would they qualify as "average circulated" condition? Are those with legible (common) dates worth much more than a silver Washington quarter?

the words "common date" tell you it's not worth more. collectors don't pay a premium for well worn coins unless it's a scarce date. years ago average circ. was exactly that, coins in good to fine. now it's been morphed to mean well worn to slicks (no detail). example of new speak.

t00nces2
05-14-2011, 08:29 AM
But they're pretty! One of the polished coins ('45) is actually in quite good condition (e.g., you can see the stripes in Ms. Liberty's dress and all of the eagle's feathers) and weighs as much as a nice '64 Kennedy. Does the cleaning and polishing diminish the value of this semi-numismatic coin?

Any coin that has been used as pocket change for any amount of time will not be hurt by cleaning as it has already been hurt by wear... Although the method you use could hurt it, I would advise against a wire wheel or sandpaper.

AgGregator
05-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Lots of good info on Classic US Silver here:

coinfacts dot com

Not updated anymore but still a lot of good info.