PDA

View Full Version : Any ASE buyers switching to ATB ?

galtbob
05-29-2011, 04:09 AM
Just looking at my dealer prices and those on some of the web dealers. Several dealers now sell ASEs at +4.50 or more, and I found a couple of places (including my supplier) offering ATBs at +3.50. Up until now my ATBs were just due to "set" thinking, as in "buy enough to have 2 or 3 complete date sets". But with them being an official US coin and now having a lower premium than ASE's, I am starting to think in terms of "buy a roll, who cares about the design?"

I have not yet seen anyone offering roll quantities, but see them as monster boxes.

What do y'all think ? Is it bullion or numismatic ?

Carpenter
05-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Just looking at my dealer prices and those on some of the web dealers. Several dealers now sell ASEs at +4.50 or more, and I found a couple of places (including my supplier) offering ATBs at +3.50. Up until now my ATBs were just due to "set" thinking, as in "buy enough to have 2 or 3 complete date sets". But with them being an official US coin and now having a lower premium than ASE's, I am starting to think in terms of "buy a roll, who cares about the design?"

I have not yet seen anyone offering roll quantities, but see them as monster boxes.

I think they're bullion, and ugly to boot.
I bought a 5 coin set during the mint/supplier debacle. I haven't decided to keep them. Did I say they were ugly?
T has them for $2.79 over spot when purchasing 500 oz.

Westerner
05-29-2011, 08:59 AM
From what I read on them. They say quarter dollar? And have 3oz. of AG in them? I don't like, just because of that.

Personally I would rather buy rounds, than those, or old worn out US. slicks at spot. Or even bars. Would never trade for ASEs.

Words have meaning. And IMHO the ATBs make about as much sense as a three dollar bill.

SilverSurfer25
05-29-2011, 09:38 AM
5oz of silver

AgGregator
05-29-2011, 11:09 AM
5oz of silver
At the very least, depending on the demand and market at any given moment, it is Bullion, At the very least.
;)

Curto
05-29-2011, 11:55 AM
I have stopped buying eagles in favor of the heftier and much more interesting ATB's. Did I mention the lower mintage and opportunity for numismatic appreciation for the more popular designs?
Ugly? I think they are beautiful and unique.
I have a collection of Eagles in a Dansco album. I show them and the only difference is the date. Wow, the people looking at them just want to examine each one, lol. Seen one you've seen them all.
The 5oz ATB is the best idea the mint has come up with. 56 coins, each with a unique design.

PastTense
05-29-2011, 12:02 PM
At the very least, depending on the demand and market at any given moment, it is Bullion, At the very least.
;)

On the other hand if you are just interested in .999 bullion, then private mint 1 ounce rounds or 10 ounce bars are also bullion--and have a lower premium.

How would anyone compare these to Canadian Maples (for those of us in the U.S.) as a bullion option? [Premiums at Tulving are very close for the two, I don't know about other dealers]

portopotty
05-29-2011, 12:32 PM
I laugh at the fact that these 5ozer are legal tender for a quarter. I like them and will try to make a set. I'm wondering when the vending companies will make a soda machine to take these coins...lol

slv_high
05-29-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm not giving one up for the other - I'm going to sell both ASEs ans ATBs sometime in the near future. I've decided that I'm more interested in gold and since I don't have the funds to buy what I want in both gold and silver, the silver will be going.

AgGregator
05-29-2011, 03:01 PM
On the other hand if you are just interested in .999 bullion, then private mint 1 ounce rounds or 10 ounce bars are also bullion--and have a lower premium.

All the sets I ordered were (and are almost again) below spot at the time I ordered them.
The point I was trying to make was they are worth whatever your buyer will pay for them, but never less than Bullion.
:cool:

AgGregator
05-29-2011, 03:07 PM
I laugh at the fact that these 5ozer are legal tender for a quarter. I like them and will try to make a set. I'm wondering when the vending companies will make a soda machine to take these coins...lol
Do ya think the Custom guys would let you go through with $1.25 of pocket change instead of writing down 25 Oz of silver.;)
Now that would be Sweet!
:D

Metally Ill
05-29-2011, 04:29 PM
I have stopped buying eagles in favor of the heftier and much more interesting ATB's. Did I mention the lower mintage and opportunity for numismatic appreciation for the more popular designs?
Ugly? I think they are beautiful and unique.
I have a collection of Eagles in a Dansco album. I show them and the only difference is the date. Wow, the people looking at them just want to examine each one, lol. Seen one you've seen them all.
The 5oz ATB is the best idea the mint has come up with. 56 coins, each with a unique design.

I agree. I believe the ATB is the new ASE for collecting US bullion coins. The price of 5 oz. of silver puts it at the level of a gold fractional, and that's a good price level to be buying bullion coins. I think this will be a popular series worldwide, and that won't hurt resale value.

General_Luster
05-29-2011, 04:48 PM

At this point, it may be both. A 5-ounce silver bullion coin makes more sense than a 1-ounce in many respects. At the current prices, you simply can't store that much value in a 1-ounce coin. Some countries even offer up to 1-kilo coins.

These coins seem to be making a splash in the market. Assuming supply and demand for silver continues into the future, the popularity is likely to increase. If that happens, then the Mint will undoubtedly want to increase mintages each year.

If that happens, the value of the 2010s will certainly increase, being the key dates. Not sure yet about the 2011s. They minted about 4x the number of 2010s, with the possibility that more can be made. A lot depends on whether or not they do go ahead and make more. If they stick with the initial mintages, the 2011s could end up as semi-key dates.

Most, but not all people seem to think the coins are beautiful and interesting (myself included), which creates the motivation to collect them. That gives them numismatic value, especially the rare ones. With increasing production, the more common dates will be simply bullion like ASEs.

Curto
05-29-2011, 04:57 PM

What do y'all think ? Is it bullion or numismatic ?It is both! The numismatic potential is just too great to ignore. I bought a tube of Gettysburg and a tube of Glacier. Every coin was prooflike.
I said it before and I'll say it again, see one ASE and you've seen them all.

Chukar Hunter
05-29-2011, 05:02 PM
I bought a tube of Gettysburg and a tube of Glacier.

I did the same thing. I bought on the 24 hour before they go on sale at big "A" man did I pay big money for them, around $55 per ounce.:confused:

petp13
05-29-2011, 06:57 PM

monarch (http://www.monarchpreciousmetals.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=59&Itemid=53) has rolls...not many though.

GJG_Gold
05-29-2011, 07:04 PM
miles Franklin had/s them in tube qty's

galtbob
05-29-2011, 07:53 PM
The only issue I have is that ATB premium is decreasing rapidly. T*** is now at 2.79. It seems like a few weeks ago they were over $5. Premiums decreasing that fast is not consistent with big demand. Pricing anomoly to take advantage of or a warning sign ? OTOH, the mint premium is 9.75 a coin, or about $2/oz. So maybe this is just the market equalizing itself. It is the biggest issue keeping me from buying tubes.

GJG_Gold
05-29-2011, 08:05 PM
i would think it hard to compare the T***** premium given the minimum order.....

GloryHole
05-29-2011, 08:15 PM
i use tulving as a baseline ... i moved my ATB set and made about $350 in fiat after fee's. Really just don't like them, but then again, I'm not really a fan of ASE's either. I prefer Canadian coins, Perth Mint coins, and for some reason I have a wild fascination with Phils :)

galtbob
05-29-2011, 08:27 PM
i would think it hard to compare the T***** premium given the minimum order.....

On most everything my dealer is very close to T, or sometimes cheaper. But I monitor T*** since they have the easiest website to see what the premiums are on everything all in one place. I can check the market (for what I watch) in less than a minute a day.

dave92029
05-29-2011, 09:03 PM
A couple of weeks ago I wanted to buy a few more Silver Eagles, but was shocked by the premiums and delay in delivery. The 2011 ATB's had just been released and were available with a lower premium...it was an easy decision.

I was expecting the Gettysburg coin to look better than it does.

The Glacier ATB's in my opinion are an attractive coin.

These ATB's currently are expected to have a mintage of only 126,700, so there is potential for some upside over the bullion price. The ATB's seemed like a win win decision for me.

Good looking coins, low mintage, reasonable premium (in this market), and currently available for delivery. :D

Yes, I intend continue to purchase ATB's in place of ASE.

The AE is attractive but they all look the same except for the date. :rolleyes:

I do hope that the Mint does something for the 25th anniversary. ;)

nergal
05-29-2011, 09:42 PM
I like the idea of bullion "coins" that make a nice ring in my pocket. Frisbee sized "coins" don't fit well in my pocket. None for me, thanks. But, at the moment no overpriced ASE either except when I can pick them up for $1 over spot on CL.

Metally Ill
05-30-2011, 08:55 PM
I was expecting the Gettysburg coin to look better than it does.

The Glacier ATB's in my opinion are an attractive coin.

Most of the nicer ATB designs will come from western States with scenic national parks. That's just the way it is.

But I believe the Gettysburg ATB will be the most popular of the 2011's because of the historic significance. The US will be commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Civil War over the next few years, and the timing of this should add to the popularity of the Gettysburg coin.

Also, this is the Pennsylvania coin. PA is, of course, one of the higher populated states, and Gettysburg is not far from Philadelphia, the home of the main US Mint (where all these Gettysburg's as well as the other silver ATB’s are being minted). I think this coin from the "P" Mint state will be a winner, even without a particularly notable design.

torpedoman
05-30-2011, 09:13 PM

Don't forget idiots are advertising (and buying)them as "uncirculated" , Let me know when one turns up in your pocket change from being Circulated.

petp13
05-30-2011, 11:24 PM
i think its silly that ATB's have a 25 cent face value....come'on, at least make it a $5 coin. and how about something besides the washington head....something different/original wouldve been nice...how about a bald eagle or something????

BUT i do like the 5oz bullion coin concept (i wouldve liked the mint version to be true proof coins though). id rather get them than, say an engelhard bar. i can see them selling at over spot price for many many years to come....though not the laughable levels theyre selling at now.

SilverMiner
05-31-2011, 12:51 AM
i think its silly that ATB's have a 25 cent face value....come'on, at least make it a $5 coin. and how about something besides the washington head....something different/original wouldve been nice...how about a bald eagle or something????

BUT i do like the 5oz bullion coin concept (i wouldve liked the mint version to be true proof coins though). id rather get them than, say an engelhard bar. i can see them selling at over spot price for many many years to come....though not the laughable levels theyre selling at now.

You do realize they are meant to be a replica of the new park quarters right? I don't get people's concern about the face value either. If silver drops to under $5, you aren't going to be happy to have that face value be relevant and I bet won't be using to at the local store. I think anyone who thinks the face value may come in to play is far better off putting their money in a savings account an reaping that huge 2% interest rate with no risk.

saigoned
05-31-2011, 01:22 AM
The 5oz 2011 coins are nice but my coins have obvious mint flaws, check out the mark on the Gettysburg lettering at the top of the coin:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-b48oBpFnjDU/Td--kD2D26I/AAAAAAAAEZY/H8H-c0163WU/s720/Chocs_0001.JPG

Metally Ill
05-31-2011, 07:45 PM
Do you all remember when a quarter used to be worth a quarter? Well, now its 5 oz. of pure silver, and its worth a quarter again. Maybe Congress & the Mint are on to something here.

blitzdude
05-31-2011, 08:08 PM

What do y'all think ? Is it bullion or numismatic?

Hows about butt A$$ ugly? I've seen a few around spot but haven't purchased. I guess when I get the chance to pick some up at spot I will do it. Ya know the whole silver is silver thing. I certainly wouldn't pay over for them if that's whats yer askin.

Greenback
05-31-2011, 09:26 PM

They were going to put Teddy Roosevelt on them, too bad they didn't

motochris
06-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Who's got the best pricing on buying single ATB's? I have the 2010 series from the blowout that was on a month or so ago... I want to be sure to get them all.