PDA

View Full Version : Transformers 3 Silver Proofs

Silver_Dragon
06-15-2011, 09:25 AM
I was just visiting the Perth Mint website, the last place I thought I would see Transformers related things on...

Could be a good way to get children into precious metals, by buying them one of these coins as a present. :D

http://www.perthmint.com.au/catalogue/transformers-optimus-prime-megatron-silver-coin-re.aspx

exchange
06-15-2011, 09:32 AM
I was just visiting the Perth Mint website, the last place I thought I would see Transformers related things on...

Could be a good way to get children into precious metals, by buying them one of these coins as a present. :D

http://www.perthmint.com.au/catalogue/transformers-optimus-prime-megatron-silver-coin-re.aspx

At $112.00 + shipping an ounce? Try selling that back, lucky to get half of that.

exchange

treasurehunt
06-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Lol they would likely lose it or tarnish it!

Greenback
06-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Kind of silly coins when you think about the Queen of England being on the other side. Got Goldies got the forum wipped up in a lather when the first two coins coin out. A lot of 'colored disks' haters, and people chasing the next Red Back Spider barking at each other. It was very entertaining to read.

silverfire
06-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand colorized coins. Kinda like painting gold/silver jewelry with some acrylic colors.

silvernova
06-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Worst product ever for the worst movies ever..

*Facepalm*

silverfire
06-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Worst product ever for the worst movies ever..

*Facepalm*

It baffles the mind. What marketing genius was behind this line? I mean the target audience is what 13-25 yr olds? Is this the same market that invests in precious metals?? Strange decisions...

nergal
06-15-2011, 02:41 PM
It baffles the mind. What marketing genius was behind this line? I mean the target audience is what 13-25 yr olds? Is this the same market that invests in precious metals?? Strange decisions...

Actually anything "transformer" is a popular nostalgia item among the 30 something set. First transformers were introduced in 1984.

silverfire
06-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Actually anything "transformer" is a popular nostalgia item among the 30 something set. First transformers were introduced in 1984.

You're somewhat right, although classic transformers look vastly different than the current michael bay creations. I mean bumblebee was a volkswagon bug, and now he's a modern camaro so I think the appeal is still quite limited. Many "classic" transformer fans actually don't like the michael bay creations.

I think the smarter move, if any, would be to make a star wars silver coin. That would sell very well.

SilverMiner
06-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Im way over 30 and think the michael bay Transformer movies are entertaining. Not that Id collect the coins myself, but I see nothing wrong with them. I mean if Barbie can have a coin, why not.

silverfire
06-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Im way over 30 and think the michael bay Transformer movies are entertaining. Not that Id collect the coins myself, but I see nothing wrong with them. I mean if Barbie can have a coin, why not.

well, they can do whatever they want. Make a care bears coin for all I care. I just thought it was a bad business move on the perth mint because I can't put those two markets together (silver investor + transformers)

btw- as shallow, incomprehensible, cheesy, and poorly homaged as the michael bay movies are... they are fun to watch

makav31i
06-15-2011, 03:27 PM
I really like the transformer coin...I would say go for it...There is no harm buying fancy stuff once in a while...We only live once and need to go out and have fun and buy stuff that we like...

Furtive
06-15-2011, 04:06 PM
My wife is a nut for anything related to Batman. For her last birthday, I bought her a 50th anniversary Batman silver round from 1989. Premium was high, but she liked it.

Feral child
06-15-2011, 05:27 PM

Yeah, but that was a really sucky idea too. At least Obama stickers come off.

Better_metal_snake
06-15-2011, 10:05 PM
With a mintage of 5K each I decided to buy 2 of each of the first 2 transformers coins. They sit in my tv cabinet instead of my safe because for what they are you might as well use them as a decoration. With the arrival of the second series of coins I'm hoping (albiet no expecting) the price of the my coins to increase if that is the case I will sell one of each on the bay and keep the others, being 21 they appeal to me and are just as good as an expensive decoration as they are a possible investment, who knows what they be worth in say, ten years from now.

robert31057
06-27-2011, 05:39 PM
the problem with the perth mint collectibles is keeping everything together. buyers want a pristine box, hardwood holder, and COA. woe to you if anything is missing.

Greenback
06-27-2011, 10:14 PM
the problem with the perth mint collectibles is keeping everything together. buyers want a pristine box, hardwood holder, and COA. woe to you if anything is missing.

I have noticed this too. I sold a bunch of the Clown Fish Sea Life coins on ebay and the buyers ALL wanted the coin, box, and COA.

II DALTON II
06-27-2011, 10:35 PM
The Tasmanian Tigers were the ones to buy dude. I noticed they are going for $199.99 on Apmex now less than a year later. I bought mine for $81 each.

robert31057
06-28-2011, 02:57 AM
The Tasmanian Tigers were the ones to buy dude. I noticed they are going for $199.99 on Apmex now less than a year later. I bought mine for $81 each.

i also have a taz tiger. GC offered me $70 for mine. not sure about Big A, prolly 1/2 their retail. i'm betting on the blue-ringed octopus which i also have. GC offered $125, i'll wait a couple of years.

Greenback
06-28-2011, 07:36 AM
The Taz tiger is a winner. It's the first coin of what will be a popular series. I'm hoping the Dodo Bird will be the next coin....

tsimehcla
06-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Wow, they're colorized too. :rolleyes:

robert31057
06-28-2011, 12:42 PM
these perth mint collectibles have nothing to do with with the main interest of this forum, which is "stacking" or for SHTF situations. few like a colorized ASE, but the colorized animals make sense. i can't see the blue ringed octopus in white silver and i doubt if the red backed spider would be selling for $1,500+ uncolored. it is a specialized niche hobby out of the grasp of many.

Thx1138
06-28-2011, 12:59 PM
My Barbie coin has done better than those.

For kids... get them a rabbit lunar.

(But don't tell them the Transformer coins exist or they will be mad at you. lol :mad:)

(I wonder how GG is getting on with his house?)

Thx :)