PDA

View Full Version : Make my own bullion?

sierra
06-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Hi, All!

I have access to 24K gold at $5 over spot. Would anyone recommend or discourage me in making my own bullion in different increments? (1g, 1dwt, 10g, 1/2oz, 1oz, etc.)

I have a friend who has makes dies and can easily make coin sized bullion in any size I'd like.

Thoughts?

sierra
06-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Long time reader... first time poster... :)

jogslvr
06-22-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm thinking homemade ingots might be hard to sell. I see a lot of DIY silver ingot bars but not gold. How would one prove the purity without recognized assay?

AntiSpin
06-22-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm thinking homemade ingots might be hard to sell. I see a lot of DIY silver ingot bars but not gold. How would one prove the purity without recognized assay?

Weight + volume + ultrasound transmission velocity

HighInBC
06-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Make it flat with right angles so that it can easily be measured and compared to its weight. This means keeping any design shallow.

I would not hesitate to pay melt price a homemade gold bar if it has a density of 19.3 grams per cubic centimeter.

You might lose some in the melting process, something to keep in mind.

torpedoman
06-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Weight + volume + ultrasound transmission velocity

Yea i carry all the equipment to test this with all the time. Doesn't everybody.

Chump Change
06-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Yea i carry all the equipment to test this with all the time. Doesn't everybody.

In my lab trailer...right next to my meth equip...oops:eek:

Copperhead
06-22-2011, 09:46 PM

I second that.

The Quiet Type
06-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Do you know how to handle molten metal safely?

GoldSilverbvg
06-22-2011, 10:07 PM

Thats a silly question...just be sure not to get it on yourself :rolleyes: :p ...

Copperhead
06-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Thats a silly question...just be sure not to get it on yourself :rolleyes: :p ...

Some of it as toxic fumes too I have been told. Just thought you might like to know. :D

GoldSilverbvg
06-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Some of it as toxic fumes too I have been told. Just thought you might like to know. :D

Lol I know :p . I wasn't being serious...

Copperhead
06-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Lol I know :p . I wasn't being serious...

Well don't kid about something like that. :mad: Right now some guy has an acetylene torch to some 35% war nickels trying to get the silver out of them. :D

HardlyPeeved
06-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Kitco started that way....
https://corp.kitco.com/en/kitco_story.html

If you want to learn about it there are probably plenty of books on the subject.

My "all-in-one" book on metals is "Mineral Processing Technology" by Wills' (7th edition). It covers many subjects and is a paperback for a very reasonable price.

Start simple. Start somewhere....then move on out... :o

sierra
06-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Make it flat with right angles so that it can easily be measured and compared to its weight. This means keeping any design shallow.

I would not hesitate to pay melt price a homemade gold bar if it has a density of 19.3 grams per cubic centimeter.

You might lose some in the melting process, something to keep in mind.

Thanks for sharing!

Hmmm.... a die that strikes at 1cm x 1cm... 18 gage thickness... should equal 1.93g...

sierra
06-23-2011, 12:14 AM

Good point... I'm going to try what HighInBC shared in terms of density...

sierra
06-23-2011, 12:16 AM

Yessir... hot women too... :D

sierra
06-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Kitco started that way....
https://corp.kitco.com/en/kitco_story.html

If you want to learn about it there are probably plenty of books on the subject.

My "all-in-one" book on metals is "Mineral Processing Technology" by Wills' (7th edition). It covers many subjects and is a paperback for a very reasonable price.

Start simple. Start somewhere....then move on out... :o

Thanks for the info!

sierra
06-23-2011, 12:21 AM
On a side note: I've always liked the funny comments mixed into the threads here... :D

HardlyPeeved
06-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Found this on Dr. R. Paul's site...

http://www.dailypaul.com/40148/links-on-how-to-melt-down-jewelry-gold-silver

Also found this on Amazon...

Gold miners' secrets on refining gold and silver
http://www.amazon.com/Gold-miners-secrets-refining-silver/dp/B00070SDPW

and this site...
http://themineshaftforgold.com/?page_id=116

this...check out Chapter 30.
http://www.mine.mn/The_Gold_Miners_Book.htm

and this site...with tons of info on various methods to recover Gold...not sure about smelting...but its probably buried in the middlings !
http://www.mine.mn/Robin_Grayson_gold_recovery.htm

I found these notes too...
gold melts at 1850 degree's F. You do need a forge or furnace to achieve this temp and a crucible to melt it in usualy made of clay and sillica. a simple forge is easiest to build use a small drum or old water tank fill it partially wirh very dry dirt then you will need some fire brick to lay up a firebox and fill up with dirt around thm as you lay them up leave a opening at bottom of formed fire box and insert through drum and brick a short piece of 1 1/2 or 2 inch pipe. once fire box is complete take a pice of one inch pipe and 90 degree elbow and screw a plug in one end of elbow and drill a 1/8 inch hole in it this will serve as a jet place the jet in front of pipe that you installed in forge then you can hook your gas to the 1 inch pipe you will also need to hook some sort of air into your gas line probably from a compresser as you need a good deal of pressure to make the jet work use valves to adjust air gas mixture and presure but if set up right you can achive the heat you need to do the job.

sierra
06-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the links! I have access to the items necessary for melting and rolling into sheets or wire as I work with a jeweler.

beswick111
06-24-2011, 04:24 AM

NO , but after watching re runs of THE SIMPSONS i think i know what NOT to do when handling extremely hot metals!!!:p :D

Ectophile
06-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Hi, All!

I have access to 24K gold at $5 over spot. Would anyone recommend or discourage me in making my own bullion in different increments? (1g, 1dwt, 10g, 1/2oz, 1oz, etc.)

I have a friend who has makes dies and can easily make coin sized bullion in any size I'd like.

Thoughts?

Anything you make yourself is going to be harder to sell than recognisable coins or bullion bars. In the end, they would have to be melted and assayed to determine their value.

Seems like a pointless exercise to me.

ingots
06-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Anything you make yourself is going to be harder to sell than recognisable coins or bullion bars. In the end, they would have to be melted and assayed to determine their value.

why is that a fire assay kit is thirty five hundred bucks............ not such a big investment.......

many many companies start off small and then grow.....

i for one think its very doable...... but alas many people only trust from a source they know and pay hella more premiums for that.......

my only concern would be any big gold bars..... most people cannot afford the torches to melt tungsten as its melt is one of the highest melt properties.......

just saying

ps may as well get used to seeing alot more personal melt bars of gold and silver as more and more people are learning how to do it....... are you gonna pass on those bars if they are reasonably priced?????? im in the mind most people wont screw you over as it will ruin their business and reputation

HighInBC
06-24-2011, 09:46 PM

If made rectangular a density test would be a breeze. I know a lot of people who would be satisfied by a 19.3 density.

People don't melt jewelery before paying for it, they buy it up and then send it to be melted. That is alloyed and even harder to test than a bar. A $20 acid kit would satisfy me, the weight and size would help even more.