PDA

View Full Version : Governmint will steal your coins

SilverSurfer25
07-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Heres proof

http://m.yahoo.com/w/news_america/blogs/lookout/family-fights-government-over-rare-double-eagle-gold-151853030.html?orig_host_hdr=news.yahoo.com&.intl=us&.lang=en-us

treasurehunt
07-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Very misleading thread title.

johndaniels
07-07-2011, 03:03 PM
nope. no misinformation, deceptive headlining, and fearmongering here...

you should work for the associated press!

t00nces2
07-07-2011, 03:04 PM
They said the coins were stolen from the U.S. Mint back in 1933, and are the government's property. The Treasury Department seized the coins, and locked them away at Fort Knox. The court battle is set to kick off this week.

Well, at least we know Ft. Knox has ten gold coins...

govikesgo
07-07-2011, 03:19 PM
this is hardly a case of the government stealing coins. You can't steal what was stolen from you in the first place.

Lowrider
07-07-2011, 03:21 PM
It would appear from the article he was investigated back in the 40ís for the
Theft but they could not prove it. He also had his dealer license revoked.

Obediah
07-07-2011, 03:31 PM
These people had to be stupid fools- pardon me, but who in their right mind goes to the Gov with their valuables?

Johnnyzed
07-07-2011, 03:32 PM
These people had to be stupid fools- pardon me, but who in their right mind goes to the Gov with their valuables?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

+1

govikesgo
07-07-2011, 03:36 PM
It would appear from the article he was investigated back in the 40ís for the
Theft but they could not prove it. He also had his dealer license revoked.

That's because they didn't have the evidence, the coins themselves.

Stacker2
07-07-2011, 03:43 PM
They said the coins were stolen from the U.S. Mint back in 1933, and are the government's property. The Treasury Department seized the coins, and locked them away at Fort Knox. The court battle is set to kick off this week.

Well, at least we know Ft. Knox has ten gold coins...

I was in the army at fort knox in the late 70's.I've seen the vault, Nothing special.If you ask me theres nothing there.:p :p

Computer User
07-07-2011, 03:45 PM
This is the kind of bullshit headline that keeps me away from here.

Stacker2
07-07-2011, 03:53 PM

I'am telling you there is no gold at fort knox.:eek:

PaulRevere
07-07-2011, 03:54 PM
$80m value huh? Far exceeds the melt value.

The Goobermint should auction them off and pay off whatever singular debt they have equal to the auction realized value to get that one singular, intrest charged debt off the books.

Every little bit counts and the Gov't has no right to hold numis value coins.

madduxxx
07-07-2011, 03:54 PM
This is the kind of BS headline that keeps me away from here.

I agree... So the government takes back something that was stolen from them 70+ years ago and it is the government stealing... To me the peps are stupid for sending the coins to the Treasury in the first place...

namwalker
07-07-2011, 04:28 PM

"Hello maam, we're from the government and we are here to help you".

No problem at all.

SilverSurfer25
07-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Lol, sry for those who complain about thread titles. I posted this so quickly(see misspelling) just to beat the other guys posting, didnt really care much since the government did steal the coins from the family.

Numisgold
07-07-2011, 04:55 PM
this is hardly a case of the government stealing coins. You can't steal what was stolen from you in the first place.

Let's let the court case determine if the govt can prove that these were stolen from the mint in 1933. With so much time passed I don't they can prove that these weren't exchanged at the mint's window while the 1933 $20's were still legal to own. For all we know old Izzy turned in ten 1928 $20's for these coins. While the King Farouk specimen ($7+ MILL) was declared legal to own by the US govt, with 10 more coins now known, the price of all them is now probably in the $2-$3 MILL range. It would be sort of dumb to just stick another 10 specimens in the Smithsonian with the couple that are already there. And melting them would be even dumber.

The mint has not made an issue of allowing several 1913 Liberty nickels to be owned by collectors ($2 to $5 MILL each). Considering that no one knows how those were even struck, let alone left the mint, puts the 1933 $20 Saints in a better light. The Treasury, FBI and secret service don't have the same muscle over the public that they had in the 1930's and 1940's when many of the remaining 1933 $20's were tracked down and melted. Their muscle isn't going to work this time in court. A decision will come from facts, not heresay or J. Edgar once told me.......;)

Total value of these coins if auctioned at market would be around $25 MILL. I believe there are now 13 "officially" known. And no doubt there are others still hidden out there just like old Izzy's coins. If the verdict upholds private ownership, watch for more to show up. In the 19th century the mint officials were some of the biggest crooks out there. They made fantasy and pattern coins for collectors to both profit and/or exchange them for coins needed in the Mint's collection. Odd that all those fantasy coins made in the 19th and early 20th century have never been officially questioned.

Numisgold