PDA

View Full Version : As the situation becomes more gloom, I did what I could.

JunkUnderMelt86
07-26-2011, 03:58 AM
It seems like this whole U.S. debt thing just keeps getting worse and worse. Leaves me wondering what the end result is going to end up being. It also makes me glad that I stacked everything I could in the 3-4 months I have been stacking. Managed to collect up about 80oz's total and its sitting in my safe, the only place I feel comfortable keeping it. I know its not a whole lot compared to what some of you other board members have stashed away, some of you by a long shot. But I do know its alot more than what the majority of American's have on hand and I can take some comfort in that. I wish I had the means to collect up ALOT more and hopefully I can should this debt crisis be averted and we live to stack another day.

I guess my main question and my reasoning for making this thread is to ask.....how does everyone else feel about what they have managed to stack up? Do you feel like you have enough should things "get out of control"? How long did it take you to get to that mark? How relieved are you RIGHT NOW that you made the decision to stack silver? I know I'm glad I did, I feel like im most certainly better off right now having the 80oz's that I do have as opposed to having 0 oz's and nothing to fall back on.

Im not meaning to cause a ruckus or anything. I just feel like anyone who denies this debt situation could get really fishy is only kidding themselves. My intent is just to see how people feel compared to how I do, as far as what the situation is right now and the decision to stack silver and it possibly paying off, if the an agreement isn't reached, the U.S. defaults, and things manage to get really out of control.

Id like to think that regardless of affiliation the guys up in Washington can put aside whatever differences they may have and come up with an agreement to right this ship. Hopefully it'll happen. I have to admit that I like how the price of silver seems to be going up partially because of all this but that doesnt really matter to me. I'd rather an agreement be made and the price of silver drop to $20/oz and be able to stack more, rather than have to sell/trade it all soon because things get out of control. How does everyone else feel?

Thanks for reading and giving your input.

Chrisadamley
07-26-2011, 04:45 AM
I think that silver is going to rise over this week, until they come up with some solution.

Its possible that the solution will be seen by wallstreet as "good" and if they can instill confidence in it, i think it will drop the metals alot. They are rising just because of anticipation of the possibility that there won't be a deal.

So when/if a deal is reached, they could very well drop down again.

Though if it drops i will buy of course :D

some_math_guy
07-26-2011, 07:32 AM
I think it is great that you have already stacked what you have....80oz of silver in just a few months is something to really be proud of! 99% of people still have little or no interest in understanding what's really happening behind the curtain in terms of how the global fiat currency system works and how it always leads inevitably to a continually decreasing standard of living for the middle class and the poor.

The bottom line is that there is simply no way that current financial obligations can be paid back out of economic growth, for any Western country (not just the USA), much less the future promised obligations such as free health care and free retirement money for hundreds of millions of baby boomers. The math is simple...there are just too few workers in the post-boomer generations to fund the boomer generation without simply printing the money. Since it is baby boomers who control the political/economic system (and will continue to do so for the next 15 years), there is no chance that these politicians will, as you say, 'get together on this' and come to grips with their terrible financial irresponsibility over the past 30 years and do the right thing, which is to reneg on all of these unrealistic promises and cut government spending massively across the board. Instead, they will do what governments have always done, which is to continue with business as usual, debase the currency (ie. print money) to meet obligations and then blame others when the system finally collapses (eg. 'speculators', 'foreign investors', even the country's own citizens for trying to protect themselves financially).

Silver and gold are the best protection from this scenario which must unfold. It doesn't take a crystal ball, the outcome is so obvious it's practically preordained. This whole issue about raising the debt ceiling is rediculous, akin to a person who has lost their job and owes $250,000 on their credit cards saying that all they need is for the bank to increase their credit limit to $260,000 and then everything will be fine. Everyone knows the outcome is bankruptcy in the end, it's just a matter of when.

Thankfully, we still have some time to buy extra food, seeds, fuel, and precious metals for the day when there is a run on the dollar and life as we know it changes forever. There really is no protection for the 99% of people without these things, count yourself among the fortunate who have begun to 'wake up'.

SiberD
07-26-2011, 08:15 AM
Id like to think that regardless of affiliation the guys up in Washington can put aside whatever differences they may have and come up with an agreement to right this ship. Hopefully it'll happen.

Ain't gonna happen. The only thing the two parties are doing now is to come up with a way to continue to kick the can down the road. Unfortunately for them, and us, that can is getting bigger and bigger and being filled with concrete.

t00nces2
07-26-2011, 08:16 AM
It seems like this whole U.S. debt thing just keeps getting worse and worse. Leaves me wondering what the end result is going to end up being. It also makes me glad that I stacked everything I could in the 3-4 months I have been stacking. Managed to collect up about 80oz's total and its sitting in my safe, the only place I feel comfortable keeping it. I know its not a whole lot compared to what some of you other board members have stashed away, some of you by a long shot. But I do know its alot more than what the majority of American's have on hand and I can take some comfort in that. I wish I had the means to collect up ALOT more and hopefully I can should this debt crisis be averted and we live to stack another day.

If you have anything saved, you have alot more than a large portion of Americans. Anything... money, food, gas, knowledge, metals... Do not worry about the size of the stack you have saved any more than you worry about someone else's bank account. Fact of the matter is, someone will always be able to save more than you, and you will look back and kick yourself for waste and bad decisions where you could have saved more.

I guess my main question and my reasoning for making this thread is to ask.....how does everyone else feel about what they have managed to stack up? Do you feel like you have enough should things "get out of control"? How long did it take you to get to that mark? How relieved are you RIGHT NOW that you made the decision to stack silver? I know I'm glad I did, I feel like im most certainly better off right now having the 80oz's that I do have as opposed to having 0 oz's and nothing to fall back on.

I don't have much of an opinion regarding the size of my stack. I have done what I could as well as I could. Enough? I don't know. The main thing I feel is pissed off. I have played the game my whole life and tried to save. I have stayed out of trouble and given up things I would have enjoyed delaying gratification today for what I believed would be pleasure in the future. Now it looks like the people who were tasked with taking care of the country have been working to undermine and reconstruct the country's power away from the individual and toward centralized governmental power. We have been like bread and circused frogs heated in a pot, we are about to reach the point where we, as a people, choose to either boil or jump out of the pot. The problem is that for every frog that chooses to jump out of the pot, there are four they will need to drag out with them, and another two who are trying to hold them all from jumping out.

Id like to think that regardless of affiliation the guys up in Washington can put aside whatever differences they may have and come up with an agreement to right this ship. Hopefully it'll happen. I have to admit that I like how the price of silver seems to be going up partially because of all this but that doesnt really matter to me. I'd rather an agreement be made and the price of silver drop to $20/oz and be able to stack more, rather than have to sell/trade it all soon because things get out of control. How does everyone else feel?

Not likely. The time to turn has passed. We have hit the iceberg. We are sinking. We need to get...

Sorry. I was going to use a Titanic comparison, but I really don't think that applies. The Titanic was flawed when it set sail. The Titanic did not sail for 100 years and then start to load cargo from other boats to improve the situations of the coach class and cut holes in the hull so those below deck could see better. We have cut holes at the waterline and water is coming in and the more that comes in, the faster the water will come in. We need to get together (as American individuals, not political parties) and make sure the boat is repaired and restored back to what it was when the boat was made. The original boat carried everyone in a luxury that was not heard of before it set sail.

Angmar
07-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Sorry. I was going to use a Titanic comparison, but I really don't think that applies. The Titanic was flawed when it set sail. The Titanic did not sail for 100 years and then start to load cargo from other boats to improve the situations of the coach class and cut holes in the hull so those below deck could see better. We have cut holes at the waterline and water is coming in and the more that comes in, the faster the water will come in. We need to get together (as American individuals, not political parties) and make sure the boat is repaired and restored back to what it was when the boat was made. The original boat carried everyone in a luxury that was not heard of before it set sail. That's it.... I'm buying some Titanic privy Maple Leafs.:D

SilverFinger
07-26-2011, 09:55 AM
I don't care what the price of silver is....for me it's all about ounces, pounds, tons.
I have "enough" silver but it's still fun to keep buying to increase the poundage. I keep saying I'm going to quit buying for the last two years...but I'm averaging 650 ounces each year since I quit buying in January 2010.(New Year's Resolution) ;) Imagine that.

coolgenner
07-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Congrats on stacking. Wait for dips and add some more. You are way ahead of the game and don't compare your stack to others. Be happy you have one at all!

Angmar
07-26-2011, 10:03 AM
I don't care what the price of silver is....for me it's all about ounces, pounds, tons.
I have "enough" silver but it's still fun to keep buying to increase the poundage. I keep saying I'm going to quit buying for the last two years...but I'm averaging 650 ounces each year since I quit buying in January 2010.(New Year's Resolution) ;) Imagine that.So, how much were you getting before you quit buying:D

some_math_guy
07-26-2011, 10:33 AM
I agree with the others, buying small amounts of silver regularly is the best way to go IMO. I started stacking in 2005 when we were pretty much broke and in debt up to our ears, and it was a big deal back then for me to buy a silver 1oz round for 9$.

Since then, I have tried to buy some silver every month if at all possible...some months it was just a few bucks, other months it was 200$ or more. Whenever I came into 'found money' (ie. an unexpected refund, gift money, bonus, etc), I put that right into silver instead of blowing it on some toy. And I also worked hard to score deals on junk silver both privately and on the 'bay, and was able to pick up much of my stack for between 20-40% under spot, whatever spot was at the time.

Over the years, my income increased and I also increased the amount of my monthly silver purchases. I am now over 1000oz and hoping to hit 1500oz before the $h!t really hits the fan (certainly no later than the end of this decade).

You can do this too! Just buy whatever you can, regularly, over time, and don't pay attention to thoughts that you do not have enough. You will hit whatever target you set for yourself, and when you reach that target, set another, higher target! I remember just a few years ago a Monster Box felt completely out of reach for me, but now I'm working on my 2nd one. It sounds cheezy, but the universe has a way of working things out for those who keep on trying.

Feral child
07-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Any is better than none, more is better :) I feel adequately prepped for my needs but not quite as comfortable as I could be- gimme that discount silver! And for what it's worth, that's not to imply I'm sitting I'm sitting on a ton of silver, I'm not. Many many here have a bigger stack than I do I'm sure but for a working stiff, ehh...

cdnmetalmetalhead
07-26-2011, 11:05 AM
My goal is to have a stack of PM's worth 1 year's annual house hold income.

I'm at about 25% right now. I think when I reach my goal I'll be able to relax a bit more :o I was also fortunate that my dad was a bit of a stacker as well, so I had a head start :D

DCA and before you know it you need a new and bigger safe!

NolaM
07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Everyone knows the outcome is bankruptcy in the end, it's just a matter of when.

Thankfully, we still have some time to buy extra food, seeds, fuel, and precious metals for the day when there is a run on the dollar and life as we know it changes forever.

Exactly.
Holding value in metal is the only way to retain it's purchasing power.
http://finviz.com/futures_performance.ashx?v=16
How much of a drop would it have to take to change this yearly chart?
How much is enough? Figure 1 oz per week per person for basic food.
A few years back my husband asked why I was so compelled to keep buying.
Every week I would add a few more ozs. Even a couple of junk dimes, a quarter.
I told him... "It helps stop this claustrophobic like panic feeling.
At least I did SOMETHING positive to protect us."
He was a little behind me but is now more passionate than I am about using forethought and pre-planning.... Just in case.
This eventually turned into Planting a huge Garden, getting extra New T-shirts at the second hand store, canned goods, extra Running shoes,
Basic hand tools, vitamins, Corn Oil, Baking supplies, Pasta, Enough rice to feed a village in China.
Extra Blankets, duvets, pillows, towels, Memory foam mattresses. Matches.
Booze, even though we don't drink and I'm growing a tobacco plant for seeds even though I don't smoke.
We are in Canada BTW... but when you look at the Global financial structure of CDO and other derivatives, There is no 'safe place'.
In history, whenever there is a small catalyst event that breaks confidence, Global trade stops. Not in a few months, weeks but NOW... today.
Go through your personal items and look at where they come from. How long do you want the luxury of using that item?
What is your plan B after that item is used up? Watching my husband learn to shave with a straight razor was interesting.
Go to your grocery store on a long week-end and notice what items go first off the shelf.
It is surprisingly difficult to get this list filled. You are never done.
http://www.thepowerhour.com/news/items_disappearfirst.htm
So... this is a downer of a reply. But the whole point of stacking is to have wealth out the other side.
Anything you can do now to avoid having to barter away ozs is a good thing.
It's stack insurance.... and it helps ease that 'Oh Crap' gut twisting panic.:rolleyes:

SilverFinger
07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
So, how much were you getting before you quit buying:D

I stopped talking about my silver...trying to keep low profile. Saigon posted his silver cache removed from safe-deposit box...all in a single close photograph on his family-room floor.... those are great days....It would take me all day to assembly mine and I'd have to back up like getting a car picture.;)

I am a bit envious of the joy Saigon feels with his silver and his ability to move it around and touch all of it. Those were simplier times. Sometimes you can have too much.

Killionaire
07-26-2011, 12:46 PM
It seems like this whole U.S. debt thing just keeps getting worse and worse.

So far it's all been just conjecture that there will be some kind of national disaster. Remember nothing bad has happened yet. We don't know if there will be a disaster or how bad it will be or if it will ruin everyone's life.

kutblok
07-26-2011, 12:56 PM
So far it's all been just conjecture that there will be some kind of national disaster. Remember nothing bad has happened yet. We don't know if there will be a disaster or how bad it will be or if it will ruin everyone's life.

I agree with you. I just try to remember the last time I knew I was going to be in a car accident before it happened. Having the equivalent of an old fashioned general store in the basement just makes me feel better.

Bullion_Bob
07-26-2011, 12:57 PM
The worm is starting to turn. Lot's people I know realizing paper = thieves stealing from you.

SilverSal
07-26-2011, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=some_math_guy;1440588].

... much less the future promised obligations such as free health care and free retirement money for hundreds of millions of baby boomersQUOTE]

Where do you get free retirement money from? "We boomers" have been forced into paying into SS for DECADES! These monies have been mis-appropriated, stolen and used for everything but SS. Granted there might still be a shortfall if these funds were not stolen, but it would be a far cry from the present situation. Programs that give money to people for doing nothing is not the same as programs that people were coerced into funding, just to be cheated by a bunch of thieves looking to buy votes. In short this is a new form of class warfare. Throw the seniors under the bus to avoid honoring the due obligations and "save" all that money. It will be the same as the rationed health care for the elderly under f'n Obama care. Unlike union members who pay a fraction, if anything, to wards their personal retirement or health care nonunion, private sector employees must fund their retirements and health care from their paychecks and have a damn site more skin in the game. People bashed Bush and Cheney because of brief associations with Halliburton but don't say squat about the fed and treasury hiring dozens of ex JPM, Government Sachs employees as far back as memory serves. How's that working out for us?

Have a great day.

BillHoo
07-26-2011, 01:22 PM
We'll never be 100 percent prepared, but getting a good start will make a difference.

Why have a house packed with goods and metals and bullets only to find you have 30 minutes to vacate the premises when the dam breaks and your property is 200 feet under!

My strategy is to have enough that can be transported and get me to a better area even if I have to trek the distance and bribe a few border guards, or shoot my way out.

BillHoo
07-26-2011, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=some_math_guy;1440588].

... much less the future promised obligations such as free health care and free retirement money for hundreds of millions of baby boomersQUOTE]

.......People bashed Bush and Cheney because of brief associations with Halliburton but don't say squat about the fed and treasury hiring dozens of ex JPM, Government Sachs employees as far back as memory serves. How's that working out for us?

Have a great day.

Clinton got the ball rolling with Halliburton by contracting them to do the immense support for Bosnia. After their experiences there, it was a hands down win for them to be first choice in the Afghanistan and Iraq wars because there was no other corporation that had the resources, or logistical experience to take on such a project - it was a no-compete contract win for them!

During Hillary's campaign she bashed Halliburton, but had to silence Bill when he said "Honey, didn't we make a half million from Halliburton?"

SiberD
07-26-2011, 03:01 PM
"free retirement money"??? Yeah, that's a good one! So far I have had confiscated and my employers have contributed over a quarter of a million dollars towards that free retirement money! Free, my a$$!

JunkUnderMelt86
07-26-2011, 06:02 PM
I think it is great that you have already stacked what you have....80oz of silver in just a few months is something to really be proud of! 99% of people still have little or no interest in understanding what's really happening behind the curtain in terms of how the global fiat currency system works and how it always leads inevitably to a continually decreasing standard of living for the middle class and the poor.

The bottom line is that there is simply no way that current financial obligations can be paid back out of economic growth, for any Western country (not just the USA), much less the future promised obligations such as free health care and free retirement money for hundreds of millions of baby boomers. The math is simple...there are just too few workers in the post-boomer generations to fund the boomer generation without simply printing the money. Since it is baby boomers who control the political/economic system (and will continue to do so for the next 15 years), there is no chance that these politicians will, as you say, 'get together on this' and come to grips with their terrible financial irresponsibility over the past 30 years and do the right thing, which is to reneg on all of these unrealistic promises and cut government spending massively across the board. Instead, they will do what governments have always done, which is to continue with business as usual, debase the currency (ie. print money) to meet obligations and then blame others when the system finally collapses (eg. 'speculators', 'foreign investors', even the country's own citizens for trying to protect themselves financially).

Silver and gold are the best protection from this scenario which must unfold. It doesn't take a crystal ball, the outcome is so obvious it's practically preordained. This whole issue about raising the debt ceiling is rediculous, akin to a person who has lost their job and owes $250,000 on their credit cards saying that all they need is for the bank to increase their credit limit to $260,000 and then everything will be fine. Everyone knows the outcome is bankruptcy in the end, it's just a matter of when.

Thankfully, we still have some time to buy extra food, seeds, fuel, and precious metals for the day when there is a run on the dollar and life as we know it changes forever. There really is no protection for the 99% of people without these things, count yourself among the fortunate who have begun to 'wake up'.

Its actually pretty funny when I think about it. When I first started stacking I really didnt even have much of a purpose for doing it. I just know Ive always liked coins for some reason and I had been wanting to invest in something for a few years now.

I left active duty in the Army back in Feb and needed something to do occupy all the free time I now had, after 5 years of have hardly any. So one day I just went to a LCS and bought a couple silver maples, since then Ive been buying silver pretty much everytime I found it for below spot. Dont get me wrong, i think a few took my OP the wrong way a little bit. Im more than happy with the 80oz's I have managed to collect and I caught a decent amount of flack from my wife for spending so much cash on coins, even though I explained to her multiple times that the money I was spending wasnt really being "spent". Funny now how she doesnt seem to have a problem with the value of the "bank account" my safe has now become. Ah well its all good. Even when she was complaining about it, I knew I was doing the right thing so it didnt really bother me too much. I have a feeling here soon she is going to be glad I went against her wishes and bought as much as I did.