PDA

View Full Version : Wanted opinions which is better silver bullion or 90 percent

HalfLib4Now
08-17-2011, 06:56 PM
I am asking this question because i am relativily new to this site.I started collecting about 14 months ago.I started because a friend of mine has been doing it for over 20 years.When i first started i liked 90 percent and think i still do.The reasons i do is that i look for coins that have low mintage,coins still in good shape.My thinking behind the 90 percent versus bullion is that some of the 90 percent coins i collect and have could very well be worth more due to the condition and date of the coin.I also look at the fact that worse case senario i still have face value of the coin should the worse happen.I have quite a few morgans as well as walking halfs and quite a large amount of mercury dimes as well as other rare coins along with my common 90 percent.My question is going out to people who have been doing this awhile but all opinions are welcomed...which do you prefer to collect and why? I also like to collect the 90 percent because of the history behind the coin.I sometimes imagine when i see a year on a coin what was going on during that time and who might have also been holding the same coin in their hand! I also have bought some 90 percent that some thought was junk and got some of it slabbed,not too often but has happened...All Comments welcomed!

treasurehunt
08-17-2011, 07:06 PM
I think that both 90% and .999(9) are great investments, and it is ideal to have a little bit (or a lot) of both. MY personal preference is .999(9).

This is strictly from a collecting and opinion standpoint compared to an investment strategy, but there’s something about holding a 1oz coin or a 1/5/10/100oz bar that feels to me like I’m holding something of real value. Even though fundamentally 90% has the same idea, psychologically it doesn’t do the same thing for me.

What would you prefer to hold in your hand.. 5 US quarters that look the same as the ones as you see every day in circulation, or an ASE, Panda, Lunar, Maple, Kook, etc?

Again, just my personal opinion. Different folks, different strokes.

silvernova
08-17-2011, 07:13 PM
I started my stack with buying 90% coins, but I think I prefer .999 silver from now on (I still buy 90% silver occasionally for fun).

.999 silver, there's no disputing what you have (for the most part). 90% can be worn and if push comes to shove, I'd rather have coins/bars denominated in oz's, rather than a bunch of nice/worn quarters of halfs and have to weigh them to get their true weight. 90% is best used in a SHTF scenario, and is good to have around, but my stack will continue to grow with the good stuff.

JMHO

themadscientist
08-17-2011, 07:31 PM
90 is nice because it's both a PM and fiat-ish. You have a store of wealth in the silver content and a legitimate deniability for those greedy government scumbags in the face value. ;)

ifionlyhadsomegold
08-17-2011, 08:29 PM
own both and dont worrie about it.

:cool:

the nice thing about shiny is you can find a deal in just about all of it at differant times and it helps to diversify.

treasurehunt
08-17-2011, 08:29 PM
90 is nice because it's both a PM and fiat-ish. You have a store of wealth in the silver content and a legitimate deniability for those greedy government scumbags in the face value. ;)

ASE's are fiat-ish too ;)

SilverPutz
08-17-2011, 09:00 PM
My favorite silver items to stack are Morgan and Peace silver dollars.

Pretty nice to hold something in your hand that may be up to 100+ years old, plus it just costs, usually, a few bucks over its silver value.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks .........

themadscientist
08-17-2011, 09:02 PM
ASE's are fiat-ish too ;)

And big and shiny too! I need some of those and some Libertads to complete my "real money of North America, go screw yourself Federal Reserve set."

Johnnysilver
08-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Well I just started to stack a few months ago myself. I love the look and feel and sound of 90% coins. Just something about sitting there watching silver go up while playing with 64 halfs and the sound they make. The 999 stuff I keep locked up and dont touch.. sad in a way. But like you when I hold an old Morgan and think of the happiness it brought to a person when it was new, What it would buy then! the things that 1 coin has bought in the past 100+ years. Its pretty amazing. The Morgans I bought are now giving me peace of mind. Not much different then 100 years ago when someone kept a bunch in a can to pay their mortgage.... just my silly outlook.... oh the answer to your question?
I say a bit of both as much as you can afford without changing your lifestyle should it all come crashing down..... No chance though

Copperhead
08-17-2011, 09:21 PM
90% seems to be losing popularity in recent years. That could change again but I don't think so. My wife hates 90% cause it looks like you are getting small change for your investment.

themadscientist
08-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Good, maybe the premiums will drop!

insidedealer
08-17-2011, 09:45 PM
90% seems to be losing popularity in recent years. That could change again but I don't think so. My wife hates 90% cause it looks like you are getting small change for your investment.

Buy BU rolls of 90%. They're pretty and your wife will like that. You can decide for yourself if dimes, quarters, or halves are most well-liked. They're all fine. As are rolls of BU dollars, but the premium's a little higher there. The BU dollars do seem to have a base of 20-25 instead of the base of 1 that the minor coins have.
The silver is silver thought could be a fatal mistake. Especially as the price rises. Counterfeit bars or bricks can be easily produced, especially as the price increases. Nobody has shown the ability to counterfeit an original roll of 1963 quarters. That mint lustre can't be duplicated, or it'll never be worthwhile to produce them. If one had that technology it would be much more profitable to reproduce 1916 quarters with mint lustre.

SilverBug
08-17-2011, 11:09 PM
There is no "better" form of silver. It comes down to personal preference. It's all good.
In my stacking history and presently I go through phases when one type comes into favor.
Just keep it up. It's better than money in the bank.

HalfLib4Now
08-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Buy BU rolls of 90%. They're pretty and your wife will like that. You can decide for yourself if dimes, quarters, or halves are most well-liked. They're all fine. As are rolls of BU dollars, but the premium's a little higher there. The BU dollars do seem to have a base of 20-25 instead of the base of 1 that the minor coins have.
The silver is silver thought could be a fatal mistake. Especially as the price rises. Counterfeit bars or bricks can be easily produced, especially as the price increases. Nobody has shown the ability to counterfeit an original roll of 1963 quarters. That mint lustre can't be duplicated, or it'll never be worthwhile to produce them. If one had that technology it would be much more profitable to reproduce 1916 quarters with mint lustre.
Good Point!

Ember
08-17-2011, 11:18 PM
There is also possible numismatic value to 90% as well. If you don't collect coins for the numismatic value, you can sell them and gain some ounces depending on the coin.
As price of silver increases, so does my 90% stack.

gunther
08-17-2011, 11:52 PM
at coin show in year 2020 ,table with junk some au 1946 dimes etc. would be like today ,i would not stop.

now if there was table with 2011 atb,koala,kook, that you can get today for about $5.00 over spot, ok what do you want for the atb ?.

did pick up lunar horse for $27 over spot last week, and when its time to sell- the generic would go 1st

SILVER PATRON
08-18-2011, 01:31 AM
Silver stacking for .999 bullion pans out when silver rising. But .900 numis coins still pans out when rising for the numis play plus the rise. If silver drops to $10, the silver probably drops to $10 but will the .900 Morgan dollar drop to that level? Works both ways - figure out the way.

coindog
08-18-2011, 01:42 AM
own both and dont worrie about it.

:cool:

the nice thing about shiny is you can find a deal in just about all of it at differant times and it helps to diversify.

that's the simple solution. no debate involved when you have both. ;)

theOUTLAW
08-18-2011, 03:14 AM
when i first stacked was all over the .999 . Then I found junk. and fell in love. I live in canada buy mainly 80% Canadian because I think its gna be a SHTF scenario. Plus you can get way more ounces for the price. My personal favorite are the morgan dollars( just dreaming about having a bag full of morgans:D ). man are they nice. something about them feels right. I'm actually in the process of selling my .999 and converting to junk because I can get it at spot or up to like 15% discount. Its very hard to find .999 at spot.

up to your personal preference. as long as your stackin your doing the right thing.

Amer786
08-18-2011, 05:00 AM
when i first stacked was all over the .999 . Then I found junk. and fell in love. I live in canada buy mainly 80% Canadian because I think its gna be a SHTF scenario. Plus you can get way more ounces for the price. My personal favorite are the morgan dollars( just dreaming about having a bag full of morgans:D ). man are they nice. something about them feels right. I'm actually in the process of selling my .999 and converting to junk because I can get it at spot or up to like 15% discount. Its very hard to find .999 at spot.

up to your personal preference. as long as your stackin your doing the right thing.

Where are you buying your 80% stuff up in Canada? I am in Canada too, Ontario to be sorta exact.

theOUTLAW
08-18-2011, 06:19 AM
Where are you buying your 80% stuff up in Canada? I am in Canada too, Ontario to be sorta exact.

I got a great lcs who charges me spot or under. He's my main guy. Also use craigslist, flea market I've found some good deals. Also can try eBay. Takes a lot of looking but once in awhile u get something under spot. I say ask around ur LCS. Most will sell around spot usually over with the HST factor but someone gots to be selling it cheap. I just was exploring this part of town and just so happened to find it :D

Just want to say not converting all my .999 . Still my base. But if I have an opportunity to sell .999 I will in a heart beat if it means more ounces.

But I would assume in the future it will be over 50% -70% junk. 30-40% .999 and 10-20% numismatic bullion like just regular pandas ,lunars etc

NoelWinter
08-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Last year i bought 5 silver dollars from my LCS's junk drawer for $16 each.
One of those dollars was a 1879-CC in X-Fine.($16=$1,700!!).
Would never happen if only buying generic .999 and ASE's, and SML's.

Fusion
08-18-2011, 07:57 AM

Now that's the way to play the game. I was building a stack and bought a bunch of Morgan's and in it was a 1900 o/cc. Thankfully a friend helped me find it. It's at a minimum a 64+. Paid $30 for a $1,000 coin.
I've got the .999 of all varieties and some I love to look at, others are just boring. That's the great thing about silver, always something new to throw your fiat at and mix things up. Awesome story NoelWinter.

NNells28
08-18-2011, 09:06 AM
I have both 90% and .999.

When I first started stacking, since I wasn't 100% sure what I was getting myself into, I wanted to keep my stack as liquid as possible and I didn't want to be forced to dump more silver than I needed too, in case of an emergency requiring cash. So for that reason I decided to keep my denominations of silver smaller. I bought some 1 oz .999 bars at first, and then a couple weeks later I bought a few face dollars of 90%.

Since then, my focus has evolved and has been more on my DCA, and the amount of oz's I own, rather than being able to exit my position in case I needed too. 90% usually comes with little or no premium and can easily be had for less than spot if your willing to scour the bay and CL for the deals. 90% helps me lower my DCA, which offsets the higher DCA fine silver and it's higher premiums bring.

In the back of my mind it's nice to know that I can sell off silver in pretty much any increment I need to due to the diversification of the weights and purities of my silver, although that is now less of a factor as I'm in a position right now, where I shouldn't have to dip into my silver in case of an emergency, as I have other stores of money I can dip into first.

Now I have enough fractional silver in my stack, that I was able to buy a larger bar and not feel like it makes my position less liquid than desirable.

Basically I hold fine and junk in a 3:2 ratio, not that I planned it that way, it's just the ratio my purchases end up amounting too.

treasurehunt
08-18-2011, 09:18 AM

Nice! It's stories like this that make me want to dabble I'm 90% here and there.

(just had this thought... hopefully the wrong people on this forum don't see this post of yours, lol!. They will play moral police and start saying you should have done the 'right thing' and returned that Morgan to the LCS... HA!)

Glitterguy
08-18-2011, 09:21 AM

A couple of years ago my mother left me a bag of silver dollars.

I never had the desire to check out the dates untll recently.

I found a 1893-CC in AU-50, and a 1928 in XF-45. Sent them off to a third party grading service, and then sold them on the flea.

$2200. for the CC, and $450.00 for the 28!

Thanks, Mom!

Jess Douitt
08-18-2011, 03:38 PM
I stack almost exclusively 90% US coins (with a bit of jewelry, silverware, etc mixed in). No ASE's, Maples, Pandas, etc. Couldn't give those away around here. For certain, no one around here is going to pay you a premium for one! Probably less than 1/2% of the population would have even heard of them. On the other hand, I could walk down the street and sell to random passers by (or spend at near spot at many of the local stores) all my 90% in short order. Use the search function to find out more about that. I've written about it several times.

Copperhead
08-18-2011, 05:47 PM
I stack almost exclusively 90% US coins (with a bit of jewelry, silverware, etc mixed in). No ASE's, Maples, Pandas, etc. Couldn't give those away around here. For certain, no one around here is going to pay you a premium for one! Probably less than 1/2% of the population would have even heard of them. On the other hand, I could walk down the street and sell to random passers by (or spend at near spot at many of the local stores) all my 90% in short order. Use the search function to find out more about that. I've written about it several times.

Where do you live and how do you post on the Internet from there? :confused:

bottle collector
08-19-2011, 12:02 AM
I am asking this question because i am relativily new to this site.I started collecting about 14 months ago.I started because a friend of mine has been doing it for over 20 years.When i first started i liked 90 percent and think i still do.The reasons i do is that i look for coins that have low mintage,coins still in good shape.My thinking behind the 90 percent versus bullion is that some of the 90 percent coins i collect and have could very well be worth more due to the condition and date of the coin.I also look at the fact that worse case senario i still have face value of the coin should the worse happen.I have quite a few morgans as well as walking halfs and quite a large amount of mercury dimes as well as other rare coins along with my common 90 percent.My question is going out to people who have been doing this awhile but all opinions are welcomed...which do you prefer to collect and why? I also like to collect the 90 percent because of the history behind the coin.I sometimes imagine when i see a year on a coin what was going on during that time and who might have also been holding the same coin in their hand! I also have bought some 90 percent that some thought was junk and got some of it slabbed,not too often but has happened...All Comments welcomed!

I love them both. I have ASE's, Maples, Kooks, Libertads, Lunars and a slug of graded Pandas. I also have rolls of BU quarters and dimes. The only thing I don't buy is generics-- just not interested.

Tyler Durden
08-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Buy several $100 face value bags of Mercury dimes for sure. Very liquid, very divisible. Junk will sell, just like .999 fine.

The dimes will be nice to have for special occasion purchases, not for the big ticket items. Buy them, low premiums on them as well.

Jess Douitt
08-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Where do you live and how do you post on the Internet from there? :confused:

The best place in the World, and by using a keyboard. :p

Seriously though, search the forum if you want further explanation.

really_bigair
08-19-2011, 12:57 PM
I like both 90% and .999(9). I like all silver (and gold), however I have decided that I will not buy anything else that is not mainstream U.S. 90% silver or one once coins/rounds that have the silver content and weight stamped on them. I have some beautiful proof coins (with the Queen on them) from various British Territories which have different silver content (some .925 sterling and some .999) and different weights (not stamped on the coin). They are not easily recognizable and it is difficult to determine their "spot value". Beautiful? Yes. Easily recognizable/sellable? No.

coolgenner
08-19-2011, 01:39 PM
I just bought my first Peace dollars for just under 33. Feel good about mixing the stack up a bit. I broke down and bought the tubes to hold them as well. Keeps the stuff sorted nicer in the stack.

what happened
08-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Buy several $100 face value bags of Mercury dimes for sure. Very liquid, very divisible. Junk will sell, just like .999 fine.

The dimes will be nice to have for special occasion purchases, not for the big ticket items. Buy them, low premiums on them as well.

Also, the junk dimes and quarters are likely to be the lowest priority for counterfeiters and hence probably the last US silver "legal tender" coinage to be affected by counterfeiting (in IMHO). That could be a real advantage someday.

.:D

willy
08-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Old German guy came into my shop one day when this was being discussed in late 1970's and stated that if you went to the farmer during the German inflation and gave him a gold coin you got a chicken and if you gave him a silver coin you got a chicken no change.......he always bought dimes