PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to sell old gold watches ???

srvegas
08-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Just curious as to find out if anyone know's a better way's to sell 18k gold watches
other than the BAY ????

CashValueRecovery
08-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Just curious as to find out if anyone know's a better way's to sell 18k gold watches
other than the BAY ????

I get a few of them a week from my clients. You have 2 options. Either selling for collectors value , which means the watch remains intact and preferably working, or scrapping it for purity and weight. In the 2nd scenario this means the entire watch comes apart and all the solid gold pieces are removed and tested. This can be anywhere from the band, the clasp if there is one where the watch locks and connects, the case the working parts are in and all the way to the little numbers and watch hands themselves. The internal parts are NOT made of gold as moving parts and soft metal does not work out well.

As for getting the best deal--- you can scrap the watch yourself with some pliers and a decent cutting tool. You can test the gold yourself if have someone with the proper kit do it for you to find out exactly what you have. Once you know what purity you have and how much it weighs its as simple as doing the math to know what the value is. Then its up to you to seek out the highest payer.

For route one selling for collectible value all I can say is goodluck. Unless its a rare rolex or other high end time piece the market is simply dead. I would suggest craigslist to get the most money but be prepared for a full time job answering questions from scammers and low ballers. And if you do sell it off craigslist do so inside a bank, in cash only, you arrive first and leave last. Do not advertise you have an 18k watch and give anyone any idea who you are or where you live or what you drive.

If you need other tips or hints you can pm me if you wish.