PDA

View Full Version : What events would cause you to add to your gold position ?

galtbob
09-14-2011, 10:50 AM
I was doing a bit of strategic review, and started working on my list of warning events. But I thought it would be useful to hear about what other people think are POSSIBLE events that will cause you to "get more scared" or add to your gold positions.

Here are mine (an incomplete list)

Actual Greek default on debt
Real discussions of Breakup of Eurozone
Any US moves to restrict currency trading
POG drops below $1700
POG breaks thru 2050
Chinese loosening of currency peg to dollar
Major terrorist event in USA
Re-election of Obama
Republican selection of Bachmann or Perry
Any US moves to control gold ownership
Renomination of Bernanke for another term

coindog
09-14-2011, 11:11 AM
a breakdown of the budget/debt talks, which I see happening. and reason number one........I come up with some more money!

galtbob
09-14-2011, 11:15 AM
a breakdown of the budget/debt talks, which I see happening. and reason number one........I come up with some more money!

That one is already factored in my position. When they punted any decision and created the "super committee", I raised my position. If they actually come up with any reasonable plan, I would sell some gold.

galtbob
09-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Oops, forgot the most major one.

Creation of a new SDR basket currency would probably warrant doubling my gold position.

97guns
09-14-2011, 11:21 AM
when i see greek default 1/2 of my emergency stash will go to something tangible. it probably wont be metal because im constantly adding to that but it might be food, guns, ammo, or just about anything i might need.

bottle collector
09-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Getting paid in FRN's by my employer is enough of an "event" for me to extend my gold position.;) I don't need other stimulus.:cool: But seriously, I'd add any "admitted" rise in inflation to that list

amanda
09-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Keep my powder dry, and buy when on sale at less than spot;)

TwoHorses
09-14-2011, 03:00 PM
If gold goes up, I add. If gold goes down, I add. Bottom line, I am a buyer.

LUDERS
09-14-2011, 03:31 PM
for me

1) greek default will make me add
2) price below 1500usd

it just make me feel secure when adding more metal
maybe its just a state of mind...

precession
09-14-2011, 03:50 PM
While the dollar continues to erode, I see no reason to hold currency.
After living expenses I acquire metals.

or

While the dollar continues to erode..
Get dat silver, get dat gold.

dilbertsurfer
09-14-2011, 03:58 PM
When the wife exclaims,"The store shelves are empty!" :eek:
And grudgingly admits, "You were right after all." :D

Seriously, with the latter, you'd better have everything in place already...

Jjack
09-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Unless price dips over $1200 rather unlikely i will increase my gold position

Bassplayer
09-14-2011, 05:28 PM
When my wife is happy, I add.
When she is pissed at me, I add even more.
If I am on the road and stumble across a deal, I add.
If I see a fat lady singing, I add a lot.
If I am out of scotch, I add and get a new bottle.
If the mexican food I ate the night before settles well, I add.

Guess, I am a stacker... :D

fledgling
09-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Found a cash shop, spot + 30

saw sneaky M2 spike July 9/Zero Hedge graph

when I take stock profits, I buy gold

Ectophile
09-14-2011, 06:28 PM
At the moment, I'm not buying - the price is too high. I don't see why any of the events you listed would make me change my mind.

Moneyisevil
09-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Been buying dips since 2001. The last one I bought I locked in at 1,730 without even batting an eye.

Gold is ALWAYS expensive. I don't need an event. I just buy the dips and let the rest of you figure out why it went back up.

Sarge
09-14-2011, 08:24 PM
What event?
The simple passage of time.
Another month... another buy.
I buy every month, last Friday - it's when the paychecks come - every month. Price goes down? I buy a little more. Price goes up? I buy a little less. Month after month. Pay no attention to "events". Come up with your plan and stick to it.

housemouse
09-14-2011, 10:14 PM
when I win the lottery, which is when pigs fly, because I don't play.

Have put in everything I am able, to protect our savings, and am not going to be rattled by the downs. That said, I still don't like them, for then I have to explain stuff to close family members who think I have jumped the shark because I didn't go into dividends.

Not to say that I won't at some point, and what that is, I still have no idea. I am too new at all this investing stuff.

NorthernCraig
09-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Once or twice a month. Usually 1/2 oz maple leaf or 1 oz bullion (royal canadian mint or credit suisse) depending on what I can afford. Its about balance. A little saved, a little stacked and a little against my mortgage. I might buy on a drop, but won't if my emergency fund is below a certain value. Buying for me is about having excess cash and not sure of what vehicle to put it into. So gold seems to be a good candidate.