PDA

View Full Version : Requesting investing advice and have three scenarios

MrWild
09-24-2011, 03:32 PM
I have 2.7~3k to invest, but want the most bang for my buck. I've looked at three possibilities and would like some input. I really want to buy and sit on it, whatever it is. My stack where I'll be comfortable is 10oz Au, and 110oz of Ag. I'm at 8.5oz Au and 50oz Ag. Two of the Ag coins are 5oz eagles, and the rest 1oz maples. Also have some 90%, say 500 melt worth. My Au DCA is very good, but the silver DCA is 40

1. I buy 1 x 1 oz and 1 x oz, along with 8 silver maples needed to finish a tube. In this scenario, I've finished my gold stack, but need 50 more Ag ozs to complete my stack to my comfort zone. Silver seems to struggle to rise, so future buying opportunities should exist in 2-3 months

2. Buy 1 x 1oz and 58 oz silver maples. In this scenario I'm banking on gold still being down in two months for my last piece for my gold stack, but silver is supposed to outperform gold if the futures can be believed.

3. Take the 2.7~3k available for metals and buy into an ETF now that they are correcting. I can afford to lose the bucks if the brass ring is a large enough enticement. With the winnings I could finish the stack handily (If I won). If I lost, saving to finish the stack would take another year of saving and scrimping (very limited income, but no debt or bills. All Med is covered).

galtbob
09-24-2011, 04:07 PM
I would choose #1. Probably. :confused:

But I like finishing things. You will finish your gold stack and also a tube. I just bought some gold yeaterday to finish up a tube. It felt good.

Moonstruck
09-24-2011, 04:11 PM
With the silver to gold ratio @ 54:1 this weekend. I would go with option #2

Buy 1 x 1oz gold and 58 oz silver maples.

Good luck!

GJG_Gold
09-24-2011, 05:26 PM
thanks!!! getting some of those

Curto
09-24-2011, 05:56 PM
That auction makes me very nervous. The seller's feedback is all from selling Morgans, but all of the sudden after very little activity the account is selling dozens of thousands of dollars worth of gold?I would be worried if there was no account activity for the last year. Otherwise, the bay's buyer protection will cover but I firmly believe this is legitimate.

ILTim
09-24-2011, 06:12 PM
I just looked back through the feedback and he sold a bunch of 2010 gold eagles in december/jan last year.

But the price (which he's going to have to take out paypal and shipping fees from) is lower than the apmex and provident buy prices. He could make $60-100 more per coin selling to them.

Too good to be true? I'm on the fence. Glad I dont have the cash... its tempting!

ETA: also, the listing has been revised several times for price and qty. He must be betting on a further crash Monday, panic liquidating?

galtbob
09-24-2011, 07:10 PM
That auction makes me very nervous. The seller's feedback is all from selling Morgans, but all of the sudden after very little activity the account is selling dozens of thousands of dollars worth of gold?

I agree. Why sell a significant quantity at below market on ebay? With paypal and ebay fees, he will be about $200 per coin below what he could get just by sellingthe whole stack to Tulving, who would pay him $1700 right now. He has sold 43 already, has "more than 10" left. For the $10,000 loss he is taking, he could fly the coins to tulving and do teh deal personally.

I predict counterfeit coins and major issues collecting your refund from Paypal. They will not be happy about taking a half million dollar hit. The deal I walk away from does not cost me anything.

Curto
09-24-2011, 07:34 PM
I agree. Why sell a significant quantity at below market on ebay? With paypal and ebay fees, he will be about $200 per coin below what he could get just by sellingthe whole stack to Tulving, who would pay him $1700 right now. He has sold 43 already, has "more than 10" left. For the $10,000 loss he is taking, he could fly the coins to tulving and do teh deal personally.

I predict counterfeit coins and major issues collecting your refund from Paypal. They will not be happy about taking a half million dollar hit. The deal I walk away from does not cost me anything.Shipping is within 20 days. When I have sold to online dealers they want the item asap and seller may not have Eagles in hand yet. The price on this auction started with slow sales at 1675. Then it was reduced. I believe the seller wants a sell-out prior to spot market open Sunday night. I have purchased from several presellers before with excellent results.
I think it's worth a chance but this risk, however perceived, may not be for everybody.

galtbob
09-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Shipping is within 20 days. When I have sold to online dealers they want the item asap and seller may not have Eagles in hand yet. The price on this auction started with slow sales at 1675. Then it was reduced. I believe the seller wants a sell-out prior to spot market open Sunday night. I have purchased from several presellers before with excellent results.
I think it's worth a chance but this risk, however perceived, may not be for everybody.

I did not even notice the 3 week delay. Sounds like he will take his paypal money and THEN buy the coins. Risky move for him, even if he is honest. I have had 1635-1650 as my pullback target for weeks, That it bounced right there tells me it may rally hard on Sunday night.

I hope you truthfully let us know how it all works out. And Good Luck !!

Curto
09-24-2011, 08:42 PM
I did not even notice the 3 week delay. Sounds like he will take his paypal money and THEN buy the coins. Risky move for him, even if he is honest. I have had 1635-1650 as my pullback target for weeks, That it bounced right there tells me it may rally hard on Sunday night.

I hope you truthfully let us know how it all works out. And Good Luck !!I shall do that. I feel certain that he hedges this type of sale with offsetting futures.

galtbob
09-24-2011, 08:51 PM
I shall do that. I feel certain that he hedges this type of sale with offsetting futures.

I dont see any way how that could be right now. His buy price would need to be around $1460 just to break even. Low last week was $1631.70.

MrWild
09-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Okay, one person for scenario #1, and one person for scenario #2. A whole bunch of posts hijacking the thread. I don't mind much, but would like a #1, #2, or #3. Maybe even why you feel that way. I'm about done with the beans and rice existence and going to enjoy a little before SHTF.

Does anyone know if Bernadette Peters is available. If she isn't Bette Midler will do.

andyi34
09-24-2011, 10:03 PM
I would do option #3 and put half in AGQ (double silver etf) and half in UGL (double gold etf) and finish your stack from the extra profits

MrWild
09-25-2011, 02:48 AM
Excellent! I've decided to go with #2, no wait, #1, no, #3! I guess I'll keep watching for the best deal as the market fluctuates, but I'm leaning to #1 as silver always seems to linger and dilly dally. Having never done any paper before as much as I'd love to play, probably best to stick with what I know.

uksilverhoarder
09-25-2011, 07:13 AM

I hope you truthfully let us know how it all works out. And Good Luck !!

he could already own the coins, he just shorting using ebay? lol.. if the price goes up he will refund your money and give you a BS excuse, if it drops some more he will send you his coins then buy more using the profit to gain free pm.. genius.. (unless they put holds on paypal funds)