PDA

View Full Version : todays score at the LCS

Sagittarius
09-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Hi All, since the price if silver is still down I thougth it would be a good idea to stop at my LCS for a purchase. I was looking for 1 oz bars to diversify the stack and low and behold he had one. Sealed in plastic, 1 JM bar for $3.50 over spot. He also had US Assay Office rounds for the same premium over spot, picked up a few of those.

I did a little research and a site A***X is selling the same JH bar for nearly $10 over what I paid! So it seems I got a good deal on that item.

The US Assay Office round is a little more elusive, haven't found much info on it. It says ONE TROY OUNCE 31.1 grams .999 FINE SILVER SILVER TRADE UNIT on one side MINTED FROM US STRATEGIC STOCKPILE SILVER - FORMERLY STORED AT US ASSAY OFFICE SANFRANSICO -1981 CC

AGony
09-30-2011, 04:36 PM
I have a 10 oz SF strategic stockpile bar in my stack and always wondered about the history behind it....

dcarr
09-30-2011, 05:48 PM
The "Strategic Stockpile" bars and rounds were not produced by the government. They were produced in the 1970s and 1980s by a company called "Continental Coin" in California (note the "CC" mark).

They basically just used silver that the government sold, as did a lot of other private minters at the time.