PDA

View Full Version : Whats the one factor that makes you feel silver is a great investment?

Chadilac
10-18-2011, 06:38 AM
You can mention 2 things if they are seriously related. I'll post my 1 best factor tomorrow.:)

theplantguy
10-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Why not both the pros and cons? All investments have cons. If you see none, you're wearing blinders.

GetZeeGold
10-18-2011, 06:55 AM
Why not both the pros and cons? All investments have cons. If you see none, you're wearing blinders.

Amen.

Silver is heavy.....it's only for young people.

...:D

uksilverhoarder
10-18-2011, 07:08 AM
this chart here says it all...

http://www.kitco.com/LFgif/ag00-pres.gif

bambipower
10-18-2011, 07:09 AM
its confiscatable

GetZeeGold
10-18-2011, 07:12 AM
its confiscatable

It doesn't make a good campfire. ;)

Chadilac
10-18-2011, 07:15 AM
Re the Plantman I know there are cons that tomorrows Thread don't worry it's already on the agenda list>:)

GetZeeGold
10-18-2011, 07:17 AM
.....don't worry it's already on the agenda list>:)

Wow....an agenda on Kitco......that would be a first. :D

precmetal
10-18-2011, 08:42 AM
its confiscatable

When it's sunny out the reflection from silver will hurt your eyes. Be careful!

theplantguy
10-18-2011, 08:46 AM
When it's sunny out the reflection from silver will hurt your eyes. Be careful!

An obvious reason to invest..................:rolleyes:

precmetal
10-18-2011, 08:54 AM
An obvious reason to invest..................:rolleyes:

No, it's a reason NOT too! Very dangerous stuff!

ClearspotAg
10-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Silver is my friend. It will never leave me under its own free will.:)

SteelandSilver
10-18-2011, 09:21 AM
Poor man's gold, Silver can gain value and cash may crash? Sorry, that's 3 things.:p

silvertip
10-18-2011, 09:25 AM
silver has made me a lot of money
people say the pos is down
i say up 50% in the last 52 weeks

theplantguy
10-18-2011, 09:32 AM
silver has made me a lot of money
people say the pos is down
i say up 50% in the last 52 weeks

I didn't realize you had sold your silver.....................congratulations on your profit.

silvertip
10-18-2011, 09:54 AM
I didn't realize you had sold your silver.....................congratulations on your profit.

sold over $20,000 last year
i have enough silver to sell over $20,000 every year
without touching the core of my silver and still my wealth increases
45 years old and been on holidays for three years
called the top and the bottom this year
top that bro
don`t need no stinking chart
but i am ok with TnA

theplantguy
10-18-2011, 09:57 AM
top that bro
but i am ok with TnA

If you only knew.........................:D

Killver
10-18-2011, 09:59 AM
You can mention 2 things if they are seriously related. I'll post my 1 best factor tomorrow.:)

No commodity by itself should be an investment. I say this having PMs myself, and seeing Ag go from about $14 to almost $50 in 5 years or so- but recent price drops have lost quite a chunk of this value- about 40%. You can buy an apartment building and make income from rent, or renovate it and sell at a profit after putting labor and materials into it, but does owning a pile of elements, even desirable ones like gold or silver, justify a continuing stream of income? Is work being done?

OK, the dollar is dropping, the US economy is imploding, so we buy PMs to PRESERVE VALUE and avoid the total loss when the dollar zeroes out. But aside from that, which doesn't create any new value, how does owning Ag create income? Owning unimproved land doesn't create any income normally either- it's after something is done that the value is created.

The single factor that justifies buying PMs is the dollar's continuing loss of value. So today silver is $30... in a year, say it's $40. But when you price a box of corn flakes in a year, it may be $4 instead of $3- so we are essentially BREAKING EVEN. Now with emotional factors, numismatic ones and so on it's possible to do better than break even. Before the 2011 crash from $49 to $27 or so, silver had increased to $49, with something like 117% gain. Nobody should expect this to continue.

But you could substitute any number of commodities, or antiques or base metals; some would do worse, others better. Silver is notorious for gut-wrenching volatility, so even when it has large gains, they aren't likely to stick for long. You can't just say, "OK, here's $100,000, buy silver and put it in this vault", then come back in 6 months and reap your 50% profit... you could buy at a top and find out you LOSE short-term. So you have to know a little and buy carefully in order to do well. Now is a relatively good time to get Ag due to the drop from its high of $49 down to $30, but there are never guarantees with Ag- or any investment with high returns.

BE CAREFUL! The times we live in are extremely tricky and dangerous in many ways. To say that the world we lived in is gone forever and for the majority of us, reduced bounty is going to be the situation if we are to have a livable planet at all.

Preserving the only livable environment available to us seems to have no political pull: job creation means more than breathable air, drinkable water, oceans with fish and survival of virtually all species doesn't mean much to the "bottom line". Thus we are going to increase exploitation of everything, replenish less, use more imported oil, waste everything waging more wars.

PMs will help us keep our savings, but can't save the oceans, keep Antarctica's ice from melting etc.

All that's necessary is to keep going for the next 30 or 40 years- after that the climate and overall health of the world will be such a mess that few aliens would want to visit it. But the PMs will do more than almost any fiat currency to keep your wealth intact until then.

some_math_guy
10-18-2011, 11:47 AM
1) Fiat currencies always fail, and all currencies are currently fiat.
2) Silver and gold have been the only real money throughout all human history, and societies always go back to them when the fiat currency fails, increasing their purchasing power by orders of magnitude.
3) Perpetrators of 'the fiat system' still have massive gold stockpiles which they could continue to use to manipulate gold prices downwards. In contrast, global silver stockpiles are non-existent now, and those entities cannot continue to dump physical silver into the markets to suppress the price as they have been doing for the past 60 years.
4) Silver is indispensible for modern life as all electronics require it.
5) Silver is still affordable for the 99% of investors who are not uber-wealthy.
6) Silver is priced at approximately 1/20th of the purchasing power that it had 30 years ago, in 1980.
7) Silver is currently at a 600-year-low in terms of purchasing power, while inventories are non-existent. This is a formula for a PRICE EXPLOSION.
8) Massive silver short positions exist that are larger than any other short position in history, for any commodity in history, by the fewest number of traders in history. They cannot be unwound without causing a silver EXPLOSION and bankrupting these organizations.

Lorian
10-18-2011, 11:49 AM
That the banks and governments, aka the big debtclub, has very little of it.
And by the way, please silver isn't an investment, it's a dead metal that is nothing done with, it's not a company that produces better and thus adds value. It's just a currency like dollar/euro only that it's much harder to produce than those.

New2PM
10-18-2011, 12:10 PM
One factor... well I don't think "silver is a great investmet".

My primary motive is wealth preservation whilst I learn about money and how to let it do the heavy lifting. Looking at where my 401k was vs where it would have been today (had I stayed in) I'm CLEARLY better off.

I do think Ag has great potential and have some hope that I can achieve my goals with its growth combined with other productive activities I'm doing.

Moonstruck
10-18-2011, 12:21 PM
It improves the taste of my food vs cheep stainless flatware. :)

mach1sc
10-18-2011, 12:32 PM
i like it because you can hold it in your hands and it don't leak out and drip on the floor like oil.

Chadilac
10-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Ok here's my 1 best factor why I think Silver is a great investment vehicle.

Have you ever as a kid played the game which 1 doesn't belong?

Gold = $1655

Platinum = $1531

Palladium = $621

Rhodium = $1700ish

Silver = $32.040

Which 1 of these doesn't belong, I see 1 that is 1/18th the price of the lowest precious metal; Palladium which isn't as pure and never been used as a monetary money supply. And is also taxable in Canada anyways.

Yes, I know silver isn't in the same class as Gold with about 18x more silver than gold known to mankind. If this ratio corrects from the 50ish to 1 ratio
to even 26 to 1. It looks like a bargain with lots of potential. Not to mention
that Silver has been depleted in industrial applications and actually has serious worldly uses. I also believe Silver is monatary money, It has been for 4000 years and it will continue to be for "many moons to come."

It's all about how powerful are the munipulators, If you are into making solid investment and you have brass ballz, this violitile metal may be for you. Buy low and keep reserves to further lower your dca by buying on dips. Also keep Fiat reserves or solid income streams to weather the F1 storm, that is in the future for all us silver bugs. :)

p.s. The american post office lost 8 billion dollars last year, stamps are up a penny when will this mad inflation end? :) :) :)

Anonymous81
10-18-2011, 05:55 PM

There wouldn't be a con for PMs if it wasnt manipulated.....

Ryanferr
10-18-2011, 06:47 PM

perpetual demand for silver by leprechauns

SilverBullSpirit
10-18-2011, 07:22 PM

1: It's still the same when old and tarnished
2: Unlike my wife... :p

Chump Change
10-18-2011, 07:31 PM
1: It's still the same when old and tarnished
2: Unlike my wife... :p

She NEVER reads your posts I guess:p :p :p

SilverBullSpirit
10-18-2011, 07:41 PM
She NEVER reads your posts I guess:p :p :p

No, been married for 27 years. She leaves my warped mind to the computer room. :cool:

JTBSK2
10-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by silvertip
top that bro
but i am ok with TnA

If you only knew.........................__________________

you guys are my heroes :o
someday i hope to have wealth from silver like you guys.....i got in too late.

Legacy
10-18-2011, 08:17 PM

you guys are my heroes :o
someday i hope to have wealth from silver like you guys.....i got in too late. Never follow. Number #1,millionaires never brag.#2,wisdom does not always come with age.

JTBSK2
10-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Never follow. Number #1,millionaires never brag.#2,wisdom does not always come with age.

LOL i was just being sarcastic. like when someone is so high up there... i would never post about how big my stack and wealth is.....if you boast n brag thats how you lose it in the end ;)

Element
10-18-2011, 08:30 PM
None> Lured by the fact that when silver runs one can net a whole bunch more than with Gold. More ounces per dollar...:D
Something about the "devils" metal that is attractive... I just can not move away from it.. Even now in a bear market, I find myself focused on puts with SLV and ZSL call bets....:o

Fusion
10-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Chadilac - I like how you roll. But I'm thinking of taking the big A up on their Heraeus gold special for $44.99 over spot. They had a good maple special last week - did anyone catch it?

[/B][/B]Ok here's my 1 best factor why I think Silver is a great investment vehicle.

Have you ever as a kid played the game which 1 doesn't belong?

Gold = $1655

Platinum = $1531

Palladium = $621

Rhodium = $1700ish

Silver = $32.040

Which 1 of these doesn't belong, I see 1 that is 1/18th the price of the lowest precious metal; Palladium which isn't as pure and never been used as a monetary money supply. And is also taxable in Canada anyways.

Yes, I know silver isn't in the same class as Gold with about 18x more silver than gold known to mankind. If this ratio corrects from the 50ish to 1 ratio
to even 26 to 1. It looks like a bargain with lots of potential. Not to mention
that Silver has been depleted in industrial applications and actually has serious worldly uses. I also believe Silver is monatary money, It has been for 4000 years and it will continue to be for "many moons to come."

It's all about how powerful are the munipulators, If you are into making solid investment and you have brass ballz, this violitile metal may be for you. Buy low and keep reserves to further lower your dca by buying on dips. Also keep Fiat reserves or solid income streams to weather the F1 storm, that is in the future for all us silver bugs. :)

p.s. The american post office lost 8 billion dollars last year, stamps are up a penny when will this mad inflation end? :) :) :)

NearerMyGodToThee
10-18-2011, 10:12 PM
If you only knew.........................:D

Hahaha... I find it funny though. A 45 year old millionaire that uses the term 'Bro'.

get N set
10-18-2011, 10:20 PM

The way I see it, silver is a place to park money when no desirable income producing project is apparent.

Ryanferr
10-18-2011, 10:37 PM
The way I see it, silver is a place to park money when no desirable income producing project is apparent.

Why would you park it in one of the most volatile assets in the market? If that is your goal/theory, why not chose the much more beta neutral gold? Or hell, even bonds?

Chadilac
10-18-2011, 10:48 PM
He'd sink it here for the sheer potential, for a wealth distribution kinda like robin hood distribution with the feeling silver is at or near its lowest inharite value on da next dip>:)

get N set
10-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Why would you park it in one of the most volatile assets in the market? If that is your goal/theory, why not chose the much more beta neutral gold? Or hell, even bonds?

Gold is better. Silver is for small to moderate amounts. Coin stash mostly. I wouldn't buy it when the price is high - pretty much rules out most of 2011. I'm not a trader - busy elsewhere.

Bonds seem a little shaky - like a house of cards that could come crashing down any moment with only a slight disturbance. I have some anyway - but not a lot.

Ryanferr
10-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Gold is better. Silver is for small to moderate amounts. Coin stash mostly. I wouldn't buy it when the price is high - pretty much rules out most of 2011. I'm not a trader - busy elsewhere.

Bonds seem a little shaky - like a house of cards that could come crashing down any moment with only a slight disturbance. I have some anyway - but not a lot.

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying.

MikeHunt58
10-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Supply Fundementals vs Emerging uses vs price per unit

maxwellsilverhammer
10-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Hahaha... I find it funny though. A 45 year old millionaire that uses the term 'Bro'.

i got one better than that... my ex's husband (marriage originated from an affair many years ago) talking with me and referring to me as "bro". wow, hahaahha

Chadilac
10-19-2011, 02:48 PM
i got one better than that... my ex's husband (marriage originated from an affair many years ago) talking with me and referring to me as "bro". wow, hahaahha

I hope you took half his silver and gold, hopefully he got in the early dayz.

And you left him with overappraised numastics. For that comment.:)