PDA

View Full Version : Gold Panda or Gold Eagle

BringMeDown
10-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Which would you choose... 1/10 Gold Panda or 1/10 Gold Eagle?
http://i.picasion.com/pic45/15e19c4ccc272ab8e6e144be68e2e103.gif

zerocd
10-25-2011, 06:50 PM
I would get both.

GoldSilverbvg
10-25-2011, 07:01 PM
I would get the 1/10th oz. Gold Eagle simply because of the recognition it has, at least in my area, and it is something I personally am more familiar with.

McLovin
10-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Panda maybe its a fake.
GAE good as gold :D

BringMeDown
10-25-2011, 07:43 PM
For me I will choose the Gold Eagle because it's recognized anywhere.
But I think that 5-10 years from now the panda will sell at a higher premium.

So maybe the panda is the better long term investment.:confused:

SiberD
10-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Panda maybe its a fake.
GAE good as gold :D

+1 What he said ;)

Bassplayer
10-25-2011, 08:01 PM
If you are in China - Panda
Anywhere else - Eagle

clawfull
10-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Easy answer = Panda; 50 yuan > $5 :p

lubbad
10-25-2011, 09:26 PM
The panda has more gold 24k than the eagel 22k.

And it is beautiful

TheLegendaryJP
10-25-2011, 09:28 PM
My heart the American, my head, the Panda (if real lol )

Gold24K
10-25-2011, 09:30 PM
The panda has more gold 24k than the eagel 22k.

And it is beautiful

not true (and I dont think it matters which you buy)... both have 1/10 ounce of gold total

tcg1022
10-25-2011, 09:35 PM
The eagle can be confiscated the panda cannot!:D

Do you trust your government?

bottle collector
10-25-2011, 09:36 PM
My heart the American, my head, the Panda (if real lol )

Panda baby!!

AGE's have no substantial numi value. Many older gold Pandas sell for 5X spot.

lubbad
10-25-2011, 09:44 PM
not true (and I dont think it matters which you buy)... both have 1/10 ounce of gold total

Same amount of gold-But eagle is 22k
Panda clearly 24k

Gold Eagle - 1/10th Ounce
Product Type: Gold Eagle
Size:
5/8 inch (16.5mm) Round
Material: 0.11 oz .9167 Gold
(0.1 oz of Gold)

Chinese Gold Panda 1/10th Ounce
Product Type: Panda
Bullion
Size: 3/4 inch (17.96mm) Round
Material: 0.1 oz .999 Gold

tcg1022
10-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Panda baby!!

AGE's have no substantial numi value. Many older gold Pandas sell for 5X spot.

definatly the panda!

I was going to buy a few sheet of the 2011 silver pandas until I looked at mintages. They made like 3 million this year compared to their normal 600K or so I think. When I saw that I was like hmmmmmm maybe I will go wit the cougars.

OvertheHedge
10-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Now it's all clear! I remember back in the 70s someone talking about prophecy about a coming war between a bear and an eagle. Anyone else remember that? Everyone then thought it was a prediction of a nuclear war between the Soviets and the U.S.

Now we can see its the Bullion Battle Royale!

Jjack
10-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Be careful when buying pandas' there is lot of fakes , hence I would recommend them for ant buyer who is buying them online.

jackrabbit
10-25-2011, 10:46 PM
The eagle can be confiscated the panda cannot!:D

Do you trust your government?

Wrong! Anything can be confiscated. They can pass a law confiscating anything they want.

jackrabbit
10-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Be careful when buying pandas' there is lot of fakes , hence I would recommend them for ant buyer who is buying them online.

Most of the Panda fakes are the Silver ones, not the Gold ones.

Jjack
10-25-2011, 11:37 PM

Yes there are not as many fakes as silver but there are plenty of fake gold pandas right know alone 5 out of 9 that I did quick search for in the bay look like fakes. Rogue panda site has some detailed explanation of some of the new fake gold pandas hiting the net.

Rockhounder
10-25-2011, 11:40 PM

I bought several pandas, and 2 of them, from different sellers turned out to be fakes (gold, 1oz) Turned me off forever to buying them, as too easy to get fakes from a country that revels in fakery. 1 of them even fooled a dealer, and only when we did a acid test, it came back fake... but the tell was how did it sound when dropped on the glass countertop... best way to describe it was a weak clakitty, versus real gold one having a clunketty......hope that makes sense

Jjack
10-25-2011, 11:44 PM
I bought several pandas, and 2 of them, from different sellers turned out to be fakes (gold, 1oz) Turned me off forever to buying them, as too easy to get fakes from a country that revels in fakery. 1 of them even fooled a dealer, and only when we did a acid test, it came back fake... but the tell was how did it sound when dropped on the glass countertop... best way to describe it was a weak clakitty, versus real gold one having a clunketty......hope that makes sense

Just out of curiosity did you weight them? Yes gold panda will have different ring to it than fake alloyed coin with gold plating.

Rockhounder
10-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Just out of curiosity did you weight them? Yes gold panda will have different ring to it than fake alloyed coin with gold plating.

one was slightly under, the other "spot on" the "spot on" one was correct diameter and "thickness" also, but the deep hollow areas in the strike were a lot less deep.... you could see it by looking at the side of the coin, the center art carving stuck up over the side edges.

Jjack
10-26-2011, 12:01 AM
one was slightly under, the other "spot on" the "spot on" one was correct diameter and "thickness" also, but the deep hollow areas in the strike were a lot less deep.... you could see it by looking at the side of the coin, the center art carving stuck up over the side edges.

Interesting wonder how they created a fake coin with same dimensions as real one they used tungsten?

Rockhounder
10-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Interesting wonder how they created a fake coin with same dimensions as real one they used tungsten?

Sorry, should have been more clear... the diameter and Edge ring portion of coin was correct... the then "traditional" low area/ flat shiny area of both sides of coin were shallower, and the pandas, bamboo, and other details were thicker than the side of the coin. Real coins generally don't have the center art portions/ heads, art, etc thicker than the sides of the coins because then the coins will not stack flat without wobbling, and the art immediately wears down... the recessed centers/raised edges of coins were invented to help preserve the artwork, lettering, etc remain... that is why on the older spanish doubloons, etc, or other pre-colonial coins you often see the centers worn away, while the near-edge detail remains.

bottle collector
10-26-2011, 03:49 AM
definatly the panda!

I was going to buy a few sheet of the 2011 silver pandas until I looked at mintages. They made like 3 million this year compared to their normal 600K or so I think. When I saw that I was like hmmmmmm maybe I will go wit the cougars.

Hey! I did go with the cougars instead of the new silver Pandas. I did pick up a 2000 gold ouncer this year on the bay though for $2100 BIN and sent it to NGC (MS 69- population 97 at the time). I'm still smiling over that one. It and the gold proof Buffalo are my absolute favorite goldies with no competition even close right now. I did run across some of the very best old silver Pandas this year at LCS's for next to nothing also. Got two $1000+ coins for less than $75 each and got a half dozen $500+ coins for less than $75 each

bottle collector
10-26-2011, 04:03 AM

Fakes do exist but Pandas are easy to buy safely if you are willing to put a couple hours into researching them and learning what to look for. There is much good information about fakes online and it is free.

I bought 37 older gold and silver Pandas online this year. I did receive one fake (silver) on an Ebay transaction though. It was an American seller who pictured one coin (genuine) and sent another (fake). I knew it was fake as soon as I opened the package and even though he had a no returns accecpted policy he ate the entire transaction.

tcg1022
10-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Hey! I did go with the cougars instead of the new silver Pandas. I did pick up a 2000 gold ouncer this year on the bay though for $2100 BIN and sent it to NGC (MS 69- population 97 at the time). I'm still smiling over that one. It and the gold proof Buffalo are my absolute favorite goldies with no competition even close right now. I did run across some of the very best old silver Pandas this year at LCS's for next to nothing also. Got two $1000+ coins for less than $75 each and got a half dozen $500+ coins for less than $75 each

That right there is how you make money in PM's folks! Its not about buying and holding gold or silver its about buying and holding the right gold and silver!

Some of my stack has tripled and some of my stack is 6 and 7 bagger. And all pretty much bought at the same price.