PDA

View Full Version : a discussion of gold by the sheeple

97guns
10-28-2011, 04:37 PM
i found this thread interesting and enlightening.

http://www.savingadvice.com/forums/investing-banking/62166-investment-gold-beneficial.html

lubbad
10-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Funny. I actually laughed out loud-I need to do that more-it was fun.

MoLocke
10-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Nothing against the OP, but I personally am so sick of the word sheeple. It's immature and makes someone sound arrogant.

Wonder what they will refer to "us" if the budget is fixed and these extreme situations that people fear never happen...

Never say never, anything is possible. If you want to claim "well prepared" then go for it, but that doesn't make you any smarter than someone that has a skill, education or anything else because you believe something that hasn't happened is going to happen.

Again this isn't towards the OP... just general thinking.

pacerbic
10-28-2011, 05:35 PM
I been at this a while and I have NO IDEA what a gold "biscuit" is. Maybe the sheepish have something to teach us after all!

coindog
10-28-2011, 05:56 PM
it refers to gold bars, usually smaller ones.

couchguitarist
10-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks. I hadn't realized before but gold has no inherent value. I better hurry up and invest in Disney like Steve said.

Element
10-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Nothing against the OP, but I personally am so sick of the word sheeple. It's immature and makes someone sound arrogant.

Wonder what they will refer to "us" if the budget is fixed and these extreme situations that people fear never happen...

Never say never, anything is possible. If you want to claim "well prepared" then go for it, but that doesn't make you any smarter than someone that has a skill, education or anything else because you believe something that hasn't happened is going to happen.

Again this isn't towards the OP... just general thinking.

Oh come on.. "they" call us lots of things..;)

Have to admit the group here does not march to the same tune as the general public... The general public is not "preparing".. I think Sheep is a good analogy for them.. Happy going about their buisness only to have the Wolves (ie Banksters) bleed them and kill them off one by one..

We are more like Squirels ..... Always preparing, stashing away our "nuts" (Pm's, guns, food, self sufficency skills..) for a stormy day......:D

Sheep nor the general public do that...:p
e

MoLocke
10-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Oh come on.. "they" call us lots of things..;)

Have to admit the group here does not march to the same tune as the general public... The general public is not "preparing".. I think Sheep is a good analogy for them.. Happy going about their buisness only to have the Wolves (ie Banksters) bleed them and kill them off one by one..

We are more like Squirels ..... Always preparing, stashing away our "nuts" (Pm's, guns, food, self sufficency skills..) for a stormy day......:D

Sheep nor the general public do that...:p
e

They just don't care enough... they are accepting people, we are not. We challenge authority, we stand up for our constitutional rights. We are not conformists. Ordinary people who get told "no" by someone accept it... we want to know why was I just told "no"... explain it to me, give me a good reason why I should accept your answer.
I just consider them content and accepting, not a sheep who blindly follows whatever they are told, they could care less. They have reality TV and that occupies them... now I would call them sheep, if they knew the realities of what was happening but blindly chose to ignore it.

Chump Change
10-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks. I hadn't realized before but gold has no inherent value. I better hurry up and invest in Disney like Steve said.

DisneySteve is a Saving College President...

So that's the problem with higher education:p :p :p

There doesn't seem to be any inherent value in DisneySteve's advice!

Stack On Bros'!

yellowsnow
10-28-2011, 06:25 PM
gold biscuit, i sure like to try some

Element
10-28-2011, 06:27 PM
They just don't care enough... they are accepting people, we are not. We challenge authority, we stand up for our constitutional rights. We are not conformists. Ordinary people who get told "no" by someone accept it... we want to know why was I just told "no"... explain it to me, give me a good reason why I should accept your answer.
I just consider them content and accepting, not a sheep who blindly follows whatever they are told, they could care less. They have reality TV and that occupies them... now I would call them sheep, if they knew the realities of what was happening but blindly chose to ignore it.

Well said!!!! Nice post...:)

MoLocke
10-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Well said!!!! Nice post...:)

Ya at G*lds*lverch*t.com I would've been blasted for it... sure is a difference here and between what that site has to offer. I don't understand why anyone even visits there, not to hijack your post or anything. But thanks.

New2PM
10-29-2011, 08:48 AM

For me and how I think.. I agree but with one exception. I don't question real authority in the sense of a LEO, gov official, or Church Elder. What I do question is someones self purported authority. And especially when someone in those positions oversteps the genuine authority they have been given. These days that includes an awful lot of Judges and Politicians.

One poster made this comment which made my jaw drop! (speaking of Au)
"especially when you are dealing with an asset that has virtually no inherent value."

btw, "sheeple" is a little bit of a insulting word. IMO it's kind of like "stupid". Look up the meaning and you'll see that it is actually quite accurate. In the past I've been both. And... currently I'm sure there are things that I still am. As I get older though I try to put asided my biasness' and look for truth in all matters.
Stupidity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupidity)
Sheeple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheeple)

SilverBill
10-29-2011, 11:32 AM
btw, "sheeple" is a little bit of a insulting word. IMO it's kind of like "stupid". Look up the meaning and you'll see that it is actually quite accurate. In the past I've been both. And... currently I'm sure there are things that I still am. As I get older though I try to put asided my biasness' and look for truth in all matters.

The word 'sheeple' lacks a solid definition I think, so there are slightly differing interpretations. My own is that it refers to folks whose universe is the capsule containing not much beyond the minutia of daily life and a "go with the flow" operating system. I extend benefit of the doubt and attribute much of it to 'innocent ignorance', which is different than realizing a responsibility and shirking it. Normalcy bias probably is a component.

Then there's the thing whereby the "enlightened", regardless of the subject, define everyone else as somewhat stupid like New2 said. I think there's a difference between innocent ignorance and stupid.

In general I think stereotype names have validity based on statistical truth of the mass but not of each individual.

Yield2Greatness
10-29-2011, 02:37 PM
i found this thread interesting and enlightening.

http://www.savingadvice.com/forums/investing-banking/62166-investment-gold-beneficial.html

Just a group of conservative investors. Ho humn...

Holy_Peanuts
10-29-2011, 03:06 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs028.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Curto
10-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Thats right, we are sheeple of a different color but sheeple none the less.
Owning gold does not make me superior to anybody else. Owning gold is an investment decision. For many, gold is a way of life and philosophy, a philosophy that catagorizes non-owners as unwitting sheep.

Maybe we who visit these forums looking for like minded acceptance are a different flock of sheep?

courant
10-29-2011, 03:12 PM
It's normal a lot of people think gold is worthless, a lot of people simply don't know a lot about the properties of it anymore. Just like most of us might not know something about a certain other subject.

Referring them as ''Sheeple'' just sounds stupid to me. You can't blame people for not knowing everything about everything. Just like a other poster previously said, we might be proven wrong, nothing is impossible.

Btw, It's not a strange thing that the majority of people aren't buying stockpiles of food.

I myself don't even find it necessarily to stockpile food (i don't do it), it's not like all the food will suddenly vanish if hyperinflation happens.

If a farmer has 1000 times more crops than he actually needs, he will be forced to sell the rest or else he will waste it anyway.

For the people taking Zimbabwe as an example: Zimbabwe always had food shortages, the hyperinflation just made it more apparent.

The US and the EU have a pretty large amount of farmers and live-stock so you don't have to worry about something like that.

lubbad
10-29-2011, 03:48 PM
I myself don't even find it necessarily to stockpile food (i don't do it), it's not like all the food will suddenly vanish if hyperinflation happens.

If a farmer has 1000 times more crops than he actually needs, he will be forced to sell the rest or else he will waste it anyway.

For the people taking Zimbabwe as an example: Zimbabwe always had food shortages, the hyperinflation just made it more apparent.

The US and the EU have a pretty large amount of farmers and live-stock so you don't have to worry about something like that.

The food does vanish when hyperinflation occurs and this is a historical fact. Money velocity is break-neck speed and people clear the shelves of everything. For a small example-store shelves are virtually cleared before a hurricane-Now imagine store shelves during an economic apocolypse. During hyperinflation store shelves are cleared because to hold paper at the end of the day is to risk complete loss.

Regarding your comments about farmers...
If you were a farmer-would you sell the products of your labor for a paper that was losing value by the hour? What would you sell it for in paper? Wouldn't you barter for products which have intrinsic value? Farmers may be simple-but they are not stupid. Even a child demands fairness in a trade-toy-for toy. Not toy for paper.

Scorp
10-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Very interesting forum there you found 97guns, I loved how they backed their assumptions with charts, links to news articles and various experts analysis.

If they keep up the good job with PMs investment advices, I am very worried about the future of the Kitco forum. We could see an exodus of members for the Savingadvice.com forum pretty soon. :p

courant
10-29-2011, 04:05 PM
The food does vanish when hyperinflation occurs and this is a historical fact. Money velocity is break-neck speed and people clear the shelves of everything. For a small example-store shelves are virtually cleared before a hurricane-Now imagine store shelves during an economic apocolypse. During hyperinflation store shelves are cleared because to hold paper at the end of the day is to risk complete loss.

Regarding your comments about farmers...
If you were a farmer-would you sell the products of your labor for a paper that was losing value by the hour? What would you sell it for in paper? Wouldn't you barter for products which have intrinsic value? Farmers may be simple-but they are not stupid. Even a child demands fairness in a trade-toy-for toy. Not toy for paper.

Of course the store shelves would be empty for a while, but this in my opinion wouldn't last a week, people will find something else to pay with, like gold (even the Zimbabweans started trading their food for gold until there were enough dollars, or else it would simply be wasted).

The first period after hyperinflation would pretty much be only rioting, this period wouldn't last long however (a week or 2 max).

The farmers would indeed trade their crops for something of value (that's when the insurance of your gold/silver come in the picture).

Eventually some kind of currency (gold-backed or not) will take over the trading in raw gold/silver/other. We in the end will need a government, if you like it or not. The thing is that you're gold holdings will retain their value during this period which ensures you're financial stability.

lubbad
10-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Of course the store shelves would be empty for a while, but this in my opinion wouldn't last a week, people will find something else to pay with, like gold (even the Zimbabweans started trading their food for gold until there were enough dollars, or else it would simply be wasted).

The first period after hyperinflation would pretty much be only rioting, this period wouldn't last long however (a week or 2 max).

The farmers would indeed trade their crops for something of value (that's when the insurance of your gold/silver come in the picture).

Eventually some kind of currency (gold-backed or not) will take over the trading in raw gold/silver/other. We in the end will need a government, if you like it or not. The thing is that you're gold holdings will retain their value during this period which ensures you're financial stability.

As Jim Rogers said, "Become a farmer if you want to survive the collapse." Farmers will be fine without selling a single thing. No need to produce 100s of acres of food. just subsistance.

II DALTON II
10-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Wah?!?

GOLD HAS NO INHERANT VALUE?!?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-m5snYdhezgE/TpUufTbsJOI/AAAAAAAAAWg/Nv1sqkSg_IA/s1600/shocked.jpg

OH SH**************T!

:D

ingolditrust
10-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Maybe we who visit these forums looking for like minded acceptance are a different flock of sheep?

You could turn this to a philosophical debate as to what constitutes a "sheeple" and a "stacker" and that we are one in the same.

I always loved the "raisins" episode of South Park. In that episode, the goth kids always bragged about how they were non-conformists. So, their entire style and perspective--the very fact they were goth and all dressed the same, listened to the same goth music, etc...they were in fact conformists and "conformed" to goth culture without even realizing it!

I think that's where we are. Stackers conform to a philosophy that there's more to the world than meets the eye. Stackers are distrustful of authority, they realize the world is decaying from the inside out, and they've come to realize the information that proves these truths can be found anywhere, for anyone that wants to take the time to look. They realize that it's an "every man for himself" kind of world. We try to help those who are willing to listen, but for those who aren't, well too bad for them.

The sheep/sheeple, by contrast, are happy going to the bar for happy hour and watching football/american idol every night. They'll go their entire lives thinking they've reached the pinnacle of human existence once they've found that "perfect job" and in about 5 years from the day they start their dream job or start living their dream life, they'll start to wonder why life seems so unfulfilling. Poor them.

lubbad
10-29-2011, 07:20 PM
You could turn this to a philosophical debate as to what constitutes a "sheeple" and a "stacker" and that we are one in the same.

I always loved the "raisins" episode of South Park. In that episode, the goth kids always bragged about how they were non-conformists. So, their entire style and perspective--the very fact they were goth and all dressed the same, listened to the same goth music, etc...they were in fact conformists and "conformed" to goth culture without even realizing it!

I think that's where we are. Stackers conform to a philosophy that there's more to the world than meets the eye. Stackers are distrustful of authority, they realize the world is decaying from the inside out, and they've come to realize the information that proves these truths can be found anywhere, for anyone that wants to take the time to look. They realize that it's an "every man for himself" kind of world. We try to help those who are willing to listen, but for those who aren't, well too bad for them.

The sheep/sheeple, by contrast, are happy going to the bar for happy hour and watching football/american idol every night. They'll go their entire lives thinking they've reached the pinnacle of human existence once they've found that "perfect job" and in about 5 years from the day they start their dream job or start living their dream life, they'll start to wonder why life seems so unfulfilling. Poor them.

I enjoyed reading this post. Conforming non-conformists indeed.

The negative connotations associated with collecting gold do not desuade me from collecting. Names like, "Stacker" and "Gold Bug" These names are meant to categorize us as wierd. Non-conformists who have bunkers, dry goods, and weapons stored for a Mad Max scenario.

What if we are right? If we are right the conformists will suffer and die. Will we jump up and down because we were right or will we cry when we see that the world went to anarchy.

There has been an effort to portray gold collectors as crazies or eccentric. Really we are logically approaching the economic realities. Normal people expect that there will be a solution. Most of us see the situation as intractable.

We always see some person who dies and then $300,000 is found under the mattress. We see these people as eccentric oddballs. The reality is these oddballs are probably the same people who lived through gold confiscation and bank holidays. These oddballs were insured in case of a bank holiday.

tcg1022
10-29-2011, 08:51 PM
There will be no SHTF and there will certainly be NO mad max scenario. However, I think many of the Sheeple are preparing for both! Now let me go and take a look at that link:cool:

If you bought into silver after it broke 30 or 40 your probaly a sheeple! A sheeple that listened to a bunch of youtube videos!;)

helopilot
10-30-2011, 09:54 AM
The "secret" is balance, in investing, preparations and life in general. Happiness is life well lived. A little sheeple, (not isolating yourself by total survivalist mentality) a little stacker/ gold bug (having enough in pm's, water., food to survive hard times), a little 'tune out the world" and enjoy family. Awareness without fanaticism.
Recognizing assumptions in our lives that may not be valid is difficult and analyzing them is even more so. Raise your own awareness level and then try to help others to do the same but not by denigrating them.

Moonstruck
10-30-2011, 10:23 AM
There will be no SHTF and there will certainly be NO mad max scenario. However, I think many of the Sheeple are preparing for both! Now let me go and take a look at that link:cool:

If you bought into silver after it broke 30 or 40 your probaly a sheeple! A sheeple that listened to a bunch of youtube videos!;)

The SHTF in 2008. It is just most people have blinders on.

We live in interesting times.

Mind of Oz
10-30-2011, 10:36 AM
not sheeple,,,,OSTRICH is better,head in sand hoping problem goes away.:D

atlas
10-30-2011, 04:00 PM

Kosovo, Zimbabwe, Somalia, and to some extent Mexico, Iraq, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia are a few examples of partial to full blown Mad Max/SHTF scenario.

To think one is above such a visitation on North America is ignoring man's sometimes propensity for evil and laws of nature.

A terrorist nuclear EMP, bio-terrorism to chemical terrorism could easily bring this country to its knees. A plague with massive deaths also could .

So yes a Mad Max scenario is possible whether one believes it or not.

lubbad
10-30-2011, 04:30 PM
Kosovo, Zimbabwe, Somalia, and to some extent Mexico, Iraq, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia are a few examples of partial to full blown Mad Max/SHTF scenario.

To think one is above such a visitation on North America is ignoring man's sometimes propensity for evil and laws of nature.

A terrorist nuclear EMP, bio-terrorism to chemical terrorism could easily bring this country to its knees. A plague with massive deaths also could .

So yes a Mad Max scenario is possible whether one believes it or not.

Yes, I am continually shocked when I see video of the chaos which occurs during a blackout, or a natural disaster. When law and order is overwhelmed even ordinary people seem to get involved in chicanery.

I was especially astonished when I watched a video of a police officer in uniform looting a walmart during Hurrican Katrina. Normally the police sit by and watch.

I remember the Rodney King riots in California. I watched in horror as a man was pulled from his truck and beat down by thugs.

Buildings burned, looters ran amuck. The police were powerless.

We have short memories, and if we do not remind ourselves...we forget what can happen.

ingolditrust
10-30-2011, 04:52 PM
We have short memories, and if we do not remind ourselves...we forget what can happen.

It's far easier to label "those other people over there" as being "evil" than to admit that all humans, given the correct circumstances, revert back to animals with "evil" propensity.

rosco99
10-30-2011, 05:23 PM
The "secret" is balance, in investing, preparations and life in general. Happiness is life well lived. A little sheeple, (not isolating yourself by total survivalist mentality) a little stacker/ gold bug (having enough in pm's, water., food to survive hard times), a little 'tune out the world" and enjoy family. Awareness without fanaticism.
Recognizing assumptions in our lives that may not be valid is difficult and analyzing them is even more so. Raise your own awareness level and then try to help others to do the same but not by denigrating them.

A big + one :)

tcg1022
10-30-2011, 10:48 PM
The SHTF in 2008. It is just most people have blinders on.

We live in interesting times.

Well now that wasnt so bad now was it?>?:D

coindog
10-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Yes, I am continually shocked when I see video of the chaos which occurs during a blackout, or a natural disaster. When law and order is overwhelmed even ordinary people seem to get involved in chicanery.

I was especially astonished when I watched a video of a police officer in uniform looting a walmart during Hurrican Katrina. Normally the police sit by and watch.

I remember the Rodney King riots in California. I watched in horror as a man was pulled from his truck and beat down by thugs.

Buildings burned, looters ran amuck. The police were powerless.

or how about those videos of people near rioting and tearing the doors open at a Walmart just to get the early bird deals! mini breakdown of society just to save a few bucks. what will happen when things really get tough?

AmmoandOro
10-31-2011, 03:17 AM

Really? What if oil suddenly becomes scarce because of war or collusion by oil producing nations? How do you think all that food magically appears on shelves everyday where millions of people shop to feed their children? I will tell you this much and the wisdom of it should be self evident. We are three or four meals away from anarchy in populated areas. Once people can't feed their children for just that short amount of time the thin veneer of civilization will begin to collapse. It is only a matter of time until there is a shtf scenario, we are living an unsustainable existense.