PDA

View Full Version : 1 oz coins/rounds vs bars

Chadilac
10-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Which 1 is better value for dollar long term?

Or is Silver just Silver?:) :D :) :D

HighInBC
10-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Not all silver is just silver. No more than a block of wood and a carving are the same. Some silver has added value, other silver is just silver.

Depend on who you sell to. Coins carry a premium generally. You pay more, and you might get more back.

Bars and rounds are great buys and in my opinion about equal. It is more of a pure silver investment to buy whatever has the most silver for the least premium.

I pay extra for government minted coins when I believe they will go up in collectors value. Otherwise I buy any bar/round I can get for cheap to just get more silver.

Don't discount "junk" silver. I think people just call it junk to keep the price low so they can buy more. Old 90% US coins and 80% Canadian coins can be gotten very cheap and can be sold for full melt with only a bit of salesmanship.

Chadilac
10-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Silver Coins have been monditary money for 4000 years, therefore they are more desirably.:) :D :) :D

StudentInvestor
10-31-2011, 12:04 AM
Silver Coins have been monditary money for 4000 years, therefore they are more desirably.:) :D :) :D

I'm starting to understand why people are pulling out the ignore button on you...

(myself included, now)

Fagin
10-31-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm starting to understand why people are pulling out the ignore button on you...

(myself included, now)

a lot of folks did it before the 1st ban. When people aren't responding anymore maybe a light will go on.

silvernewb
10-31-2011, 12:22 AM
I think its a hard question to answer, it really depends on the time frame and what pos will be.

I guess in traditional thinking, coins will be a better investment. I am in the boat of silver is silver, I don't care if it is an art bar or ase.

I have noticed that maples are pretty desirable along with ase, but I have no prefrence ethier way.

I would probably stay away from the odd ones popping up now, I saw one with optimus prime on it? I dunno lol might be harder to get full value for it down the road.

Vortex
10-31-2011, 02:08 AM
Shape is personal preference - As long as the weight and .999 silver are on the bar or round your fine. You may want to stay away from anything that resembles the clad and plated junk floating around. Im seeing it on Craigs and ebay. Name brands are easier to sell - Doesn't matter beans if your Holding long term.

Silvernewb - Optimus prime Bars - you made me suck a cheato down my windpipe lol - Im going to have to get one now ! ;)

Lorian
10-31-2011, 02:08 AM
I have two reasons to buy coins
1) they are handier for trading, both directly (like in past times) and indirectly (fiatmoney as another inbetween step) because they fit in an envelope so cheaper to post.
2) they don't have the premium those tiny thin bars carry.
3) the tax on coins is in my region 7/9/12%, on bars its 19/21,5%
4) as you say they are the common shape ppl know since millennia.
5) dont let you lure yourself into same-style responses, stay polite and just report them.

Chadilac
10-31-2011, 02:50 AM
One good thing to say about bars is that, bars are unlike most gambling chips.

Silverstate2011
10-31-2011, 02:53 AM
Aren't you the one the one that bought 1004 ounces? I'm not trying to be mean but come on .

Vortex
10-31-2011, 03:03 AM
I have two reasons to buy coins
1) they are handier for trading, both directly (like in past times) and indirectly (fiatmoney as another inbetween step) because they fit in an envelope so cheaper to post.
2) they don't have the premium those tiny thin bars carry.
3) the tax on coins is in my region 7/9/12%, on bars its 19/21,5%
4) as you say they are the common shape ppl know since millennia.
5) dont let you lure yourself into same-style responses, stay polite and just report them.

With that kind of tax on bars I'd go with coin as well. Do they make any allowances for bullion or Numismatics ?

Lorian
10-31-2011, 03:10 AM
Aren't you the one the one that bought 1004 ounces? I'm not trying to be mean but come on .
I suppose that was geared to the previous poster, but is there anything wrong with 1004 ounces (interpreted as ounceRs)? I have 8 times that much of them, 40 kilocoins and 1 10kilocoin. It's coin galore here, for the reasons I mentioned.

Silverstate2011
10-31-2011, 03:14 AM
No it has nothing do with the coins he bought,it has to do with the silly questions from some one who is supposed to have put a lot of money towards silver. IMHO research should come first then the buying........

Lorian
10-31-2011, 03:15 AM
Do they make any allowances for bullion or Numismatics ?
bullion/numismatic doesnt matter for the tax, all that matters is that the silver should be legal tender somewhere in the world. Its not even bound to a coin design, for example there are bars out there that are legal tender in some countries (I forgot the name and the dealers site is apparently down today, spits out an error, I think it was an island group-country), those are also taxed 12% instead of 19% despite they have the shape of a bar. By the way, that 12% is only since start 2011, before it was 7 or 9%, not sure which.

Chadilac
10-31-2011, 03:25 AM
No it has nothing do with the coins he bought,it has to do with the silly questions from some one who is supposed to have put a lot of money towards silver. IMHO research should come first then the buying........

I feel that a good investor will strive to understand the whole market fully and completely; including what age, nationality, economic demographic will buy bars.
And if they do, is the reason that Silver is Silver,or are they small time collectors looking for desversifing their collection, or perhaps just to be different.:) :D

Continued learning is the key to success Silverstate.:) :D

Silverstate2011
10-31-2011, 03:31 AM
IMHO those are questions you should ask before buying not after... I'm a silvers silver person but I tend to stay away from mints I've never heard of .

Chadilac
10-31-2011, 03:40 AM
IMHO those are questions you should ask before buying not after... I'm a silvers silver person but I tend to stay away from mints I've never heard of .

Rest assured, I am confident in what the best stradegy to buy bullion and my ratio of mint coins vs 100 oz bars. Remember I am the one who found a way to buy physical bullion in limit orders the same as the stock market works.

You have 41 coins by the sound of it is that really coin galore.:) :D :) :D

Silverstate2011
10-31-2011, 03:45 AM
It's not the size of the stack but how you use it . yep 41 coins you nailed it. :rolleyes:

Lorian
10-31-2011, 03:55 AM
I think that bar shaped legal tender 'coin' was from the Cook Islands. Funny tax rules eh? Put a "face" value on a silver bar and you can sell it for 5% tax less. It's a nice example of how people on markets circumvent theft from those that produce nothing.

Silverstate2011
10-31-2011, 04:02 AM
It's the same here when I go to one of my local coin stores . I have to pay tax for junk silver or anything that has a legal face value on the coin. But at another shop I don't pay any taxes . Looks like a loop hole?

silvertip
10-31-2011, 04:09 AM

(myself included, now)

like a train crash
i just have to look
want a real laugh google his user name and you will listen to crappy rap
really really bad rap
like drunk white kids trying to sound black

Chadilac
10-31-2011, 04:34 AM
like a train crash
i just have to look
want a real laugh google his user name and you will listen to crappy rap
really really bad rap
like drunk white kids trying to sound black

Are you still upset I Rick Rolled you by telling you, as the 200 000th poster wins a 100 oz bar you just need to pay the shipping?:D :) :D