PDA

View Full Version : Libertads in Mexico

dfabilene
11-24-2011, 02:57 PM
I have seen several threads on buying Libertads in Mexico. Here is my experience today. I went to Banco Azteca in Cuernavaca, Morelos. They had plenty of Libertads in each location that we called. Before I left for the bank, spot price was $31.97. They were selling Libertads for 486 pesos each. The conversion at that time was 13.52 pesos for 1 US dollar. That worked out to right at $36/Libertad, or just over $4 above spot. I bought one but didn't make the large purchase that I had planned because that is a bit higher than I can order online.

HighInBC
11-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Kitco has then for $4.50 over spot, plus shipping. So you did not do so bad.

dgeorge148
11-24-2011, 03:48 PM
The best I remember, Fusion has a good contact....I have used the broker for several 5ouncers.........Very nice.:)

mbeded
11-24-2011, 03:51 PM
can yo give us a bit more info so can look up this "fusion broker?" thanks giving... (o:

The best I remember, Fusion has a good contact....I have used the broker for several 5ouncers.........Very nice.:)

dfabilene
11-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Kitco has then for $4.50 over spot, plus shipping. So you did not do so bad.

Another online site has them for $1.99 over spot. Even with shipping, it's better to order & not worry about carrying on the plane home.

Furtive
11-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Here's the link, folks:

http://www.bancoazteca.com.mx/PortalBancoAzteca/medios/plataLibertad.do

Compra = buy
Venta = sell

So as I'm typing this, they're selling "Onza Libertad Plata" (one ounce silver Libertad) for 486 pesos. That link is for information purposes only, btw. You need to go into a Banco Azteca branch to make the purchase (or sell your Libs).

Fusion
11-24-2011, 08:56 PM
can yo give us a bit more info so can look up this "fusion broker?" thanks giving... (o:

Hey mbeded - I'm not a broker. Just a fellow stacker with an affinity towards Libs. At times I have connected other members to my contact who is one of the larger distributors of Libs in North America.

I will say he specializes in proof Libs and gold. There are times when he orders some bullion with client orders and has them available.
I don't know what his prices are right now since it's been a month since I placed an order but two weeks ago he had some 5oz proofs for $235 (dates 2009-2011). I bought ALL of his older bullion (tubes of 82's-87's) so all he would have is 2011 bullion if he had any at all left. He's got some MS70 1/20th gold Libs that are very chery for the price.

PM me if u want his contact. There was a nice group buy set up by H2SO4 using him last month on another site that went well. But he did a ton of work collecting orders for other people with little appreciation. It's funny, when it comes down to it most people (NOT DGEORGE) are all talk at times when they just want an ounce or two, and they won't throw down the cash for a tube or some beautiful proofs, which makes it unprofitable and pretty much a waste of time for the people involved doing the coordinating.

But as I said, if you are serious and want to check his inventory and prices send me a PM and I'm happy to help.:D

Chadilac
11-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Another online site has them for $1.99 over spot. Even with shipping, it's better to order & not worry about carrying on the plane home.

FAA got you running scared, the plane is cool no more than 10k.:D :) :D

Why did the exchange rate screw you sounds like they weren't playing fair.:eek:

El_Triunfo_Julia
11-25-2011, 04:17 PM
The referenced bank always seems to have an unfavorable exchange $ to peso compared to some other banks ATM exchange rates or some local merchants who have a need for USD to stock their shelves. (some not all grocery stores).

It may be beneficial to use the ATM exchange for acquiring the local currency. A small cash advance in pesos and a call to your bank to confirm the USD of the transaction, would give you a real time exchange rate. This works for many countries for non USD transactions.