Kitco Forums

Kitco Forums (https://www.kitcomm.com/index.php)
-   General Stock Market Investing discussion group (https://www.kitcomm.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   KITCO Market Simulators, 1st QTR 2011 (https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=73728)

OddVaark 01-03-2011 03:33 AM

KITCO Market Simulators, 1st QTR 2011

I've decided to continue the two separate game format. One will remain the regular quarterly game with a $100K bank in both $US and $Cdn following the familiar volume, diversity, price share, etc rules designed to mimic traditional investment strategies.

The second game will again have less stringent rules and pander to "Rags to Riches" investing strategies:
- quarterly time frame
- $25K $US, $25K $CDN bankroll (I've increased the bankroll from $10K to $25K)
- no minimum stock price
- $8.99 transaction fees
- $5 minimum purchase price for margined stocks
- portfolios will be "open" to viewing (and hopefully encourage trash talk and stock information chatter)
- 15 minute purchase delay/15 min minimum "Quick sell" delay
- 10% volume rule for stocks, 25% for options
- $5 minimum on shorts.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR JOINING THE GAME (s):

1. You must have an INVESTOPEDIA account. It's free and easy to set up at http://www.investopedia.com/
You are free to set up multiple account names and play different investing strategies in the same simulation.

2. From the home page on your Investopedia account choose the "ADD/EDIT" games option, then the "JOIN GAME" option. IN the SEARCH box enter:
a) KITCO FORUM 4th QTR 2011 ...for the regular quarterly game
b) KITCO FORUM RAGS To RICHES 4th QTR ...for the second game
c) the password for either is... KITCO

Be sure to toggle the joint $US AND $CDN option when searching.

3. I'll leave the ability to start the game at any time open, both games close on 30 June 2011.

Let me know if you have a problem and we'll see if we can work it out. Keep in mind that the purpose of these games isn't so much to win as it is to LEARN how to invest successfully.

Good luck!

JROCPW 01-03-2011 10:40 PM

Hey thanks for putting this up again, Oddvark.

Did pretty well in the last game, but mostly on luck and by sticking with miners. Hoping to use a bit of actual research and some chart reading this time around.

Jump on in guys, the water's warm. :)

OddVaark 01-04-2011 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JROCPW (Post 1188067)
Hey thanks for putting this up again, Oddvark.

Did pretty well in the last game, but mostly on luck and by sticking with miners. Hoping to use a bit of actual research and some chart reading this time around.

Jump on in guys, the water's warm. :)

Hahahaha...I still remember you buying all that Arian Silver and not realizing it was going into your Canadian Portfolio for massive profits. Everyone should have mistakes like that!

JROCPW 01-04-2011 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddVaark (Post 1188147)
Hahahaha...I still remember you buying all that Arian Silver and not realizing it was going into your Canadian Portfolio for massive profits. Everyone should have mistakes like that!

...and out of nowhere... 27,000 shares appeared...!! :eek:

:D

OddVaark 01-04-2011 12:32 AM

I'd like to thank the moderators for moving us to the General Stock Investing Discussion threads. It seems more appropriate.

And also for the honor of making us a "sticky". Hopefully we'll attract a wider audience of people who want to gain experience trading without actually risking real world money on the inevitable "hard lessons".

Cloud Puncher 01-04-2011 12:56 AM

Sweet! I'm in, it was simple. This should be fun... Thanks for setting it up :)

Shogun 01-04-2011 02:08 AM

Sounds Fun! I just joined but can't find the game.

I went to my account home, Simulators/Games/ and searched KITCO FORUM RAGS To RICHES 1st QTR but it came up with no results?

Any idea's of how to access the game?

edit: Be sure to toggle the joint $US AND $CDN option when searching.

Now i Found it. :-)

OddVaark 01-04-2011 03:17 AM

Buying Canadian Stocks and some other peculiarities of the SIM

One of the problems new players seem to perpetually encounter is buying Canadian stocks.

In your buy order, you MUST preface the Canadian stock symbol with a "C."

For example, in order to place an order for "NWI", you need to type it into the stock symbol window as "C.NWI".

Also the SIM does not handle partial orders for buying and selling. It's "All or nothing", so if you want to buy/sell a significant amount of a particular stock early in the day (when volumes are still low), you may have to break the order up into smaller buy/sell orders and pay the commission fees for each.

-------------------------------------------

Quote of the day:
"It doesnít matter whether itís true, it matters whether traders believe itís true." ... Lifted from The Daily Reckoning.

fl57caveman 01-06-2011 02:58 PM

Oddvaark,

i can't get to the games or portfolio, when i bring the site up, it shows me logged in , i can't log out, or create new profile. i changed password, + email, and it took it, but still can't get to games or add, anything....

:confused:

Taxin 01-06-2011 04:15 PM

I'm in let's see what happens