Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Silver discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 02:19 PM

Default Face value of modern silver (and gold) coins

Anyone stop to think why the mint (US Mint from my perspective, but feel free to chime in, in regards to other world currency coin minting), with the value of silver (and gold) base at a generic level being way beyond the face value of the currency printed on it (Example: $1.00 US Dollar in this case for ASE's) and the fact that these would never actually be used to purchase goods & services with based on the (way) under valued tender amount printed on them --- Why continue to print a tender value at all; Or, modernize their value would make more sense. $1 = 1 oz American Silver Eagle, just hasn't kept pace with the real value they have in silver purity, now that we have so much fiat printed.

I suspect 'banksters' replies regarding not wanting to promote PM's as a competing currency to the fiat and their lose of power that would lend.

Figured it was the weekend anyway.. might be an interesting topic to get some feedback discussion on.

This is meant to be thought provoking, not intended for backlash to the OP postings. Looking forward to reading responses.

"Knowledge talks, wisdom listens."
- Jimi Hendrix

United we stand, Divided, we fall.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Banned

What's the question? I read this over and over and have a headache now and don't understand what you're asking.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by govikesgo View Post
What's the question? I read this over and over and have a headache now and don't understand what you're asking.
He's asking why he cant buy ASE for face value...I think...
Old 03-03-2012, 02:32 PM

The only reason I can think of is simply because they can.

By this, I mean that no other mint is allowed to impress the words "United States Of America" and "One Dollar" on a cylindrical chunk of metal without violating U.S. law. This gives the U.S. Mint an exclusive product protected by criminal law rather than trademark and copyright laws.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preludedude View Post
He's asking why he cant buy ASE for face value...I think...
i can't buy morgans at face either
Old 03-04-2012, 01:43 AM

Lotz of good pointz here.

I don't think anyone mentioned the Cadillac of Coins has the highest fiat equivalent amount nominally of $5 bucks.

Newbies don't understand how anyone in their right mind would pay $30 plus a coin for something valued by the Government at $1 - $5 bucks. These people have been conditioned their whole life to understand a quarter buys 5 - nickle gums for example.

The governments have learnt their lesson long ago, that coins have costs involved to make/distribute most importantly is the base metal cost. They will not make that mistake again, as a previous poster said Silver is keep at an absolute floor value nominally.

Canada has been very daring lately with the $20 for $20 coins with 7.84 g of silver. If/when silver goes above $80 an oz the buyers will be in profit-land that's only 150% increase in price. The reason a Conservative government dictates a Liberal stance on metals is for perhaps many reason. One might be because Canada is a very resource based economy. Perhaps they value the middle class as a engine of the tax base. Or it's a small way to add value to their money as they have totally failed as a Country, as their money is backed by a joke of a stack of precious metals. Third World African countries have more gold backing their currency.

Basically my thesis is that governments keep real money low is to keep the middle class out of the metals game, as to not reconize their paper promise ponzi scheme.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:30 PM

they want to know why the modern american doesn't have a face value of say 20 dollars to more accurately represent the value of the coin.

Like the 1 dollar silver piece would have bought more back in 1920 with its face value than now.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
(Thus ever to Tyrants)
Old 03-03-2012, 02:49 PM

Cool Why? Face Value?

Tradition. Possible Tax Dodge for some. Public Relations. Belief that an ASE IS 1 dollar of silver if REAL money comes back. Movie tickets will be a dime again.

I mean...if you pretend an ASE and a Federal Reserve Monopoly Dollar are EXACTLY the same value by printing the same PRICE on each ...as real inflation has made paper dollars shrink and shrink in value), you give credence to the idea that the FRNs are legitimate money when they are truely a wealth-vampire.

People already know Silver is money...just too inconvenient with this zombie FRN still accepted at all stores and even paper is inconvenient...much better to just use that plastic card that allows for the electrons to be counted as money too. Gold goes without saying. When electrons and paper lose all value? That sterling necklace will buy a meal or so...value is still there in the metal.

Interesting that 1 oz of Platinum bears the $100 face value tag, $50 on gold, $1 on silver.

Why twice gold for Pt? and is that 50:1 price ratio set in dollar value a psy-war mind device that makes us VALUE it like that?

I do not think these prices are accidental.

Any resemblance of the above to conspiracy theories is purely in the reader's head.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:55 PM

Here's a slightly crazy man who may or may not be a burnout or high on something bringing up some points how it could possibly advantageous.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleeTU View Post
Here's a slightly crazy man who may or may not be a burnout or high on something bringing up some points how it could possibly advantageous.

Sorry Seascape, NOW I really have a headache.