Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Numismatic Discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2010, 06:38 PM

Default Pandas ... pros & cons...?

What are your views?

Been looking at them recently, something totally different than I normally collect or stack. Pricey or should I say...lots of premium involved. Are they worth collecting? Would love to hear your thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panda Silver.jpg (2.0 KB, 2200 views)
Old 10-06-2010, 07:40 PM

Despite the high premium ... The Silver Panda's ... YES ! I have some of each year !
Gold Panda's .... NO ... I feel that there are to many fakes around ... some of the local dealers here will not buy them ... In fact one of them gave me a fake ( for free )
Old 10-06-2010, 08:21 PM

Thanks Legio....do you think the higher premiums will be retained if you were to sell/trade them a couple of years from now?

They are a nice looking coin, the finish is incredible. But they're not discussed to much here on Kitco. Just wondering how popular they are and how easy they are to get rid of if one had to? Just doing a little research is all.

Guess I'm getting tired of the generic and typical silver rounds.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:17 PM

If you want something different and you like the look of them, I would go for it. Personally I don't buy them because of the stigma that seems to be around them and Chinese stuff is just not my thing.

A pro would be that they are limited in numbers, and they change every year so you have that collector base that wants to fill collections. Another pro would be that a lot of people seem to want them. Another is that they are very well made.

A con would be the fakes that float around, and the fear of fakes. How common the fakes are or how well founded the fear is I don't know.

Oh, and I don't know if this is a pro or a con...but if Walmart ever sells silver coins you know they are going to be from China
Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbird View Post
What are your views?

Been looking at them recently, something totally different than I normally collect or stack. Pricey or should I say...lots of premium involved. Are they worth collecting? Would love to hear your thoughts.
I don't know where your from, but I see them as a novelty here in the States. I have gotten many Britt's, Lib's, Maple's, UnSol's, Tagrog's, Lunars, in the Whitman single plastic holder's for spot price or spot +.50 at the local shops around here. Unless one is an ebay seller, I don't see how you would ever get your premium back. I wouldn't think their a good buy unless your from the country that produces the coins, not to mention the fake aspect.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:05 AM

Greenback:
Quote:
Personally I don't buy them because of the stigma that seems to be around them and Chinese stuff is just not my thing.
Yes, I know exactly how you feel about this. It's a big issue with me as well.

Jamesbong:
Quote:
Unless one is an ebay seller, I don't see how you would ever get your premium back.
I'm up in Canada. You raise another very valid (con) point. Commisions would also eat into any premuim. What are Tagrods as per your post?

Not to worried about fakes as I have the tools to figure that out, scales and calipers etc.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:56 PM

I bought one just for the sake of owning one. They are absolutely beautiful but due to the premium not something to stack en masse. Buy some if you want, I still prefer Kooks though.

Any information or chart annotations that I provide are for speculation and not to be taken as Financial Advice. I post such speculation to express ideas, theories and provoke discussion, nothing more.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Greenback:

Yes, I know exactly how you feel about this. It's a big issue with me as well.

Jamesbong:

I'm up in Canada. You raise another very valid (con) point. Commisions would also eat into any premuim. What are Tagrods as per your post?

Not to worried about fakes as I have the tools to figure that out, scales and calipers etc.
The Tagrog is a Mongolian coin with Ghengis Khan on the front, very sweet coin. Only downfall is it's sterling.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks Legio....do you think the higher premiums will be retained if you were to sell/trade them a couple of years from now?

They are a nice looking coin, the finish is incredible. But they're not discussed to much here on Kitco. Just wondering how popular they are and how easy they are to get rid of if one had to? Just doing a little research is all.

Guess I'm getting tired of the generic and typical silver rounds.
I have no idea if the premium will have a return ... but ... Like you I think the are very nice coins .
Since I never wanted to sell one ...I have no idea if they are easy to sell ... all I know is that on many coin-shows the asking-price is spot + $4 sometime even + $5
Old 10-07-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesbong View Post
The Tagrog is a Mongolian coin with Ghengis Khan on the front, very sweet coin. Only downfall is it's sterling.
That is still better than the average Proof coins the US Mint is selling ... they are only .900 ....