Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Numismatic Discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012, 12:31 PM

Default Platinum Pandas...for a change of pace, kinda

Perusing my LCS website turned up a 1/10 oz NGC Certified Proof 2002 Platinum Panda Ultra Cameo for $395. This is the first of this kind I've seen at their large store; they previously handled only gold and silver Pandas.

Problem is...Chinese precious metal Pandas are flying off the shelves SO FAST the LCS can't keep up with demand. They have been sold out of ALL current and back dates both gold and silver several times this past year. This LCS was the source of my 1/2 oz Gold Panda collection opportunity so the owners are evidently scouring the market to supply bullion/numi customer demand.

I have never "done" Platinum.
I have never "done" Certified. I'm not sold on their value...most times.
For the exception of an older gold Panda proof set and a Proof silver 1 oz in a lot of BU I don't "do" Proofs.
Except for the one older proof set I don't DO 1/10 as they seem so damned small.

As of today I've broken ALL the above. If I'm gonna stop being a platinum virgin, I can't think of a better suitor.
"You're all too busy sticking your noses into every corner, poking around for things to complain about, aren't you? Well, let me tell you something-this is exactly how Nazi Germany started! A lot of layabouts with nothing better to do than to cause trouble " -Basil Fawlty

Last edited by Unsustainable : 02-19-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 PM

Default Super Cool Bear

plats & plat sets are For Sure the rarest & best of all Pandas IMO (the numismatic upside potential)
Old 02-19-2012, 01:49 PM

1 troy ounce platinum pandas were only issued as proofs from 1987 - 1990. Very short 4 year run for the 1 troy ounce size. There is 1 other 1 troy ounce platinum panda issued as a NY coin show commem in 1987. For the rarest 1 troy ounce platinum panda, there were a handful (5 or less) 1982 trial strikes. I don't expect to ever get the 1982 but I am very satisfied having the other 5.

edited to add: Piece of trivia - a 1988 - 1 troy ounce gold Basel coin show commem was issued using a Pt die designation (I guess they had plans on issuing a 1 troy ounce platinum for that coin show but did not have the platinum blanks so they struck them in gold instead). Total mintage projection was 1000. There were 400 struck in gold using Au die designation and 600 struck in gold using the Pt die designation. More error issues than non-error issues. (I have both)

Last edited by trozau : 02-19-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:38 PM

at under 400 that platty bear is a buy!!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:02 AM

Default Definitly the most underrated panda.....

If you can get at double spot you are large and in charge. Somebody is going to say one thing that everybody agrees with at the time, then it's off to the races.

Just like Merlins 89's. Somebody said something and now he lives in a mansion!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James007 View Post
If you can get at double spot you are large and in charge. Somebody is going to say one thing that everybody agrees with at the time, then it's off to the races.

Just like Merlins 89's. Somebody said something and now he lives in a mansion!
It is my fortune to have a friend/banker that understands coins: DB's comments were accepted as an "appraisal", securing a 50% loan (I refused to have them certified)

The 4-piece I couldn't find, turned out to be Russian: 2 ag, 1 pd, and a 1/2 pt.
Pandoids (myself included) couldn't guess what I was referring to

No mansion here, a modest house & outrageous rv (sold a boat: no passport for me untill 2032-I'll be 86 & filing a lawsuit against Texasshole)

Last edited by merlinsword : 02-20-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: age correction
Old 02-22-2012, 08:44 AM

Default Platinum is just about to take over the price of gold...

Merlin. The fun is about to start.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:39 PM

Yea, funny that. All of a sudden I've started watching the Platinum charts
"You're all too busy sticking your noses into every corner, poking around for things to complain about, aren't you? Well, let me tell you something-this is exactly how Nazi Germany started! A lot of layabouts with nothing better to do than to cause trouble " -Basil Fawlty
Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 PM

Itís a good buy right now and will probably turn out to be a great buy down the road.