Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Numismatic Discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Is Real View Post
Here they are:
Thought my glasses were dirty..lol.

Small dated coin. Legit. Thanks for the photo's. You are off to a good start, on to the next coin eh

If you want a photo refresher course, petean88 has a great blurb back in the thread. Or try thee ol' search function. You should have a record of your coins anyways, just in case. cheers

Merlin:

That's normal for those grades. Still expensive..at least to me and my budget. If they were PF69's then prices would start to skyrocket. A lot scored in that 66-67 zone, and perhaps when they aren't available any longer then they will command a higher price. cheers
Old 02-26-2012, 07:33 PM

Smile My Chinese brag stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by James007 View Post
I was thinking about a subject to talk about today at work and couldn't think of anything. I got home sat down smoked the peace pipe and now have the answer!

Much like everybody else here I was introduced to panda's and other beautiful Chinese coins. I truly enjoy and treasure everybody on this board.
My friends you have helped teach me how to be financially independent and to truly enjoy my hobby.

If I can show you just 2 examples of how Digbird was always there and truly helped. Even if it's a couple cases of monkey see monkey do.

Dig had just shown the 1997 King Gesal he had bought. I was in awe of the coin and started researching it. The next week I found a set for under $300.00. Great price for a unrealised set. When I say unrealised I am refering to Chinese coins before the big ramp up. Back then a Kuan Yin and Auspicious coins were $80.00. But I loved the Gesal and the rest of the figures in the Minority Culture set. During the rampup I decided to take a bigger investment and create a set. It paid off. I finally have my set that only 2 other people in the world have. The 69 set that was sold was triple what I paid for it. That was a huge win win for me.

My second story is just as successful and maybe more even. The Dig did it again striking gold before anybody realized in a expo coin. The 2006 expo was a great pick he was telling me about but I didn't truly understand what I was investing in. Dig knew but I didn't that the expo coins were limited to 20,000 per year. He told me the coin was a keeper and I decided to look into it. Xu had a set. One set 1995-2010 $2000.00. I said why not and took the plunge. Mind you back then I couldn't believe I was making these moves as I was dealing with mostly single coins. Dig and Badon were just as excited as I was and I was thankful coming along as a greatful student.
Today if you can get your hands on guangzou 2000 panda for under $500.00
that's a good deal. Unreal right? On top of that Xu is selling the same set for $3400.00. Win win baby!

Til today I discuss with Dig most of my purchases with Dig.

So now tell me! What is your favorite Chinese Coin story and a friend that helped you out with that coin.

My story is that in 1985 I first bought a 1985 PF Panda for $35 (my best buy). Later I bought a 1983 for $99, and 5 more for 1985's for $125 each. I recently saw a raw one sell for $1250 on Ebay. Dumb luck, I guess. I don't even remember where I got them, but it was before the counterfeiters cranked up. I also bought: the y110 Sinkiang Autonomous Region 1985 1 oz PF for $23.40 with a mintage of 1400 (recent sale $437), The X# MB4 5 oz companion to the above for $62.50, at the same mintage of1400 (recent sale $900) The X#MB17 1987 5 oz Hong Kong Coin Expo for $240 with a mintage of 2000 (the 1985 at the same price in Bruce recently brought $1275) and the KM 21, 1980 30 Yuan Olympics Skating Pf for $11.50 which recently sold for $92 on Ebay. It is a good feeling to be in the black after that long wait.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:56 PM

Welcome Silver Oldie:

Well done, you should be well into the "black" with those. The 5oz'ers especially as they really have gained the past couple of years.
Nothing newer that 1987?

Folks that took a chance on these years ago are certainly well off now. Turns out to be one of the best investments for numi's in years.

Not use to your numbering system...you mention Bruce, is that a catalogue or price guide similar to Krause? Good story indeed. cheers
Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 PM

Smile

Unusual world coins by Colin R. BruceII 5th Edition 2007, 586 pages. Companion volume to the Standard Catalog of World Coins. Got mine from somewhere on the net for a whole lot less than the $45 list. Don't know if there is a later edition. In this volume the 5 oz Hong Kong Expos are only valued at $200, about $1075 under current Ebay sales! I bought around 50 of a variety of the 5 oz's and 30 20 Balboas in the 80's and watched them stagnate and sink through the 90's, finally putting them in the back of the safe and almost forgot about them. Now they are looking very nice.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:22 AM

Default There isn't enough drool in my mouth....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oldie View Post
Unusual world coins by Colin R. BruceII 5th Edition 2007, 586 pages. Companion volume to the Standard Catalog of World Coins. Got mine from somewhere on the net for a whole lot less than the $45 list. Don't know if there is a later edition. In this volume the 5 oz Hong Kong Expos are only valued at $200, about $1075 under current Ebay sales! I bought around 50 of a variety of the 5 oz's and 30 20 Balboas in the 80's and watched them stagnate and sink through the 90's, finally putting them in the back of the safe and almost forgot about them. Now they are looking very nice.
Oh my goodness. Truly speechless!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oldie View Post
Very impressive. I had bought a bunch of J&M silver bars during that period and they too stagnated for years. Yes the 2007 Bruce would be out of touch with prices, but a good source of info just the same. I have a few older Krause on CD just for reference of wold coins. Ebay is a good indicator for current prices, minus 12%. You have some mighty fine coins. cheers
Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 AM

Smile How things change

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbird View Post
Very impressive. I had bought a bunch of J&M silver bars during that period and they too stagnated for years. Yes the 2007 Bruce would be out of touch with prices, but a good source of info just the same. I have a few older Krause on CD just for reference of wold coins. Ebay is a good indicator for current prices, minus 12%. You have some mighty fine coins. cheers

I even subscribed to a Modern Issue Price Guide soon after I ought those big silvers, but as they did nothing but sink, I didn't renew, and doubt if the guide survived much longer. I was most uncomfortable with the 3 big Chinese silvers, especially the 1987 Hong Kong Coin Expo as it seemed I had way overpaid at $240. Now with the great number of Chinese willing and able to buy them, all Chinese numismatics are great and these big low mintage silvers are near if not at the front of the pack!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:28 PM

Default New 5 ounce medal for only $500....

Whatcha think?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:33 PM

The 2012 Singapore International Coin Fair...5 oz'er?

$350 would have been better... But for hardcore medal guys, I think it will sell out.

I wonder how sales of the gold 1/10th dragon set is doing? It too was expensive at $700.00 so I'm not surprised at the price of this new medal.

Are you going for one James007? Anybody else?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 PM

Default In slow motion right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbird View Post
The 2012 Singapore International Coin Fair...5 oz'er?

$350 would have been better... But for hardcore medal guys, I think it will sell out.

I wonder how sales of the gold 1/10th dragon set is doing? It too was expensive at $700.00 so I'm not surprised at the price of this new medal.

Are you going for one James007? Anybody else?
I am in very picky mode. No extra cash currently. 2500 mint limit looks extremely attractive though. 500 to Europe 500 to U.S. 1,000 to Asia.
And that pretty much looks like a sold out medal. This can become a $1,000.00 medal very quickly.