Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Silver discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 06:05 AM

Default 1990 Maples

I've got some 30 1990 Maples that are individually sealed in plastic. Now I'm thinking of selling them, but do they carry any collectors value. If so, how much?
Old 03-10-2012, 06:37 AM

Default No collector's value, just regular bullion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTCH View Post
I've got some 30 1990 Maples that are individually sealed in plastic. Now I'm thinking of selling them, but do they carry any collectors value. If so, how much?
The 1990 maples don't really command high premiums, you can get $4 over spot if you're lucky. But with over 1.7 million minted, they're not all that rare. The key date maples with the lowest mintage are the 1997 maples (mintage just under 101 000) and they carry a hefty premium, they sell roughly for 2-3 times silver value and also 1996 maples (mintage 250 k) roughly 2 times silver value so if you can get those 2 dates cheaper than that, then you've got yourself a good deal. If you had those dates and wanted to sell you'd have yourself winners. There are a couple more dates with mintages in the low hundreds that carry maybe $20 over spot premiums but most dates you can get for 2-6 bucks over spot, including the 1988 and 1989, the first years they were minted, with the queen still young.

So good luck selling them, you'll probably sell them for a buck higher than you'd sell 2011's..... or you can keep them for your own enjoyment, they do look better than those 2003 and newer with the "new" old queen, I don't like her appearance on 2003's and newer.

Hope I helped answer your question. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:45 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info, Viper