Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Platinum discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 11:17 AM

Default Platinum premium conversation

I was getting ready to purchase another US platinum coin and again was amazed at the premium that was being charged by the particular lcs that I was in. So I asked them why so high the premium. The end result of the conversation was that I wanted to relay it here so I could get your feedback. I ended up buying the coin in the end.

The clerk was saying that even though the price of platinum was lower than gold there were really no platinum fractional coins minted since 2008 and that now the better coins were from 2007 and that the demand for platinum coins was greater than was being seen in the physical market price as reported by KITCO.

IMHO there appears to be truth in what he said, but still I was very surprised to see that the price of coin of platinum was higher than the comparable coin of gold given the price difference between the two metals.

What say you?

I'm just a poor way faring stranger traveling through a world of woe.

Never look back, something may be gaining on you. Run like the devil himself is back there, and may you be in heaven long before he catches up.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Just take a look at the article posted just a few days ago here in the platinum forum:

According to the Biggest Platinum Producer in the world: Anglo American Platinum.
It is costing them between $1788 - $1851 to mine a single ounce of Platinum.
This is at least $200 more than the current price of Platinum.

Forum Post - https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=103624
Article Link - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ins-17-1-.html

"Anglo American Platinum...plans to stem cash-cost increases to between 14,000 rand ($1,788) and 14,500 rand per ounce produced, the company said.

Last edited by infowars : 04-21-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 AM

IMO it has nothing to do with the price of platinum... It has everything to do with Numismatics.

You can buy physical platinum for $50 over spot.. This is a bar..... Or you can buy US stamped eagles, for some very steep premiums over spot.. Why, because the mint stopped making them in any appreciable quantity some years back..Heck even when they were making them they did not make that many....

Nothing wrong with numismatic investing... You are paying a premium for the collector value, not the melt value.