Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Gold discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4AMJAVA View Post
Yep. Slabbed coins take up too much room, and are pointless except, rare and valuable numismatic coins.
+1

and this is the ultimate de-slabber... like a hot knife through butter... you only need to cut the edges as that is the only part that is sealed, keeping clear of the coin...

Last edited by Autalkin2me : 04-26-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGravy View Post
I prefer unslabbed.
some of those slabs have cracks to close to the coin for my comfort... you use a hammer?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:16 AM

Never got close to the coin. They were all tenths. I used a small set of bolt cutters. No problem harming the coin. It's actually very easy, but I recommend SAFETY GLASSES as the plastic shards tend to fly about.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Never got close to the coin. They were all tenths. I used a small set of bolt cutters. No problem harming the coin. It's actually very easy, but I recommend SAFETY GLASSES as the plastic shards tend to fly about.
Or just put a towel over it, then you don't have to chasing the chard's!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
If I may ask, once you got all these 1/10ths freed up, do you just store them loose or put them in little airtites?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I prefer unslabbed.
Why Max ?

I know collectors that do the same thing BUT they do it because they believe another company might grade it higher. With alot of older numis just one grade increase can mean 100's if not 1,000's of dollars difference . Especially in the gold coins and low mintage sil. dollars.

College of Hardknocks - The most expensive education you can fail. The most rewarding when you succeed.

In the history of Mankind only 5% of the PEOPLE have been considered FREE in some form. Meaning 95% of all Mankind through out history have been SLAVES.

"The future ain't what it used to be". - Yogi Berra
Old 04-26-2012, 11:58 AM

no reason to slab modern coins imo, it doesnt make them legit, there are faked slabs out there. I deslab lots of coins and i NEVER pay more for slabbed coins, again that only applies for modern stuff. I have slabbed numerous older coins, more for the grade than the actual plastic enclosure, doing so increased one coins value ten fold.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:03 PM

I slab every pre 33 coin I get, last batch of 50 I sent in, 5 were counterfeit....one $20, and four $5.

I don't pay more for slabs, and I don't break them out either, they bring more upon disposal. Including modern US, ever price buffs on fleabay?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
I slab every pre 33 coin I get, last batch of 50 I sent in, 5 were counterfeit....one $20, and four $5.

I don't pay more for slabs, and I don't break them out either, they bring more upon disposal. Including modern US, ever price buffs on fleabay?
Sorry to hear about the counterfeits...did you get them back from the grading company or did they keep them?

Barack Hussein Obama
State of The Union Speech 2014
Old 04-27-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chump Change View Post
Sorry to hear about the counterfeits...did you get them back from the grading company or did they keep them?
They send them back, they were 22k....they had scrap gold value. I will not sell anymore pre 33 without it being graded. I would hate for someone to get a counterfeit because I was to lazy or cheap to spend 17 bux and wait 5 days.