Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Numismatic Discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbird View Post
While on the topic of pouches, I would like to see all Pandas and other coins revert back to pouches with capsules. Especially gold, I would like to see them come with a capsule and pouche combined, a little extra protection. Doubt it will happen.

Only the gold "P" proofs came with both. I call them double baggers... Of course silver Pandas had them up to and including the year 2005.
Well it looks like the 5 oz. Singapore medals were completely sealed and the 1 oz. medals (gold and silver) were packaged at the mint with three sides sealed and a slit in the top to access the coins. This is just the way the China Mint decided to package these. Live and learn!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the update Afluke. I have company so haven't been on top of all the latest news, so thanks for that.

Thanks to Jogslvr, and I tip my hat to him, we got a copyright infringement case dealt with from the author. Nothing to do with this site. So thank you, you deserve the credit my man. Keep it clean and honest ...it's the best way to handle life.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:11 PM

A Panda Pricepedia subscriber here.
This is the Red Book/grey sheet equivalent for Chinese numismatics IMHO.
Not issued yearly but monthly.
It's a quickly evolving closed/quasi open culture/economy.
"You can't buy the coin without the book"...or the 'pedia.
Plus a Martin Yan collection of cookbooks.
You want to add some controversy re global economics and trends...add the book "When China Rules the World" to the bookshelf.
This is a global economy like it or not despite the desire for national sovereignty the financial powers think otherwise and one must think outside the box.
Digbird sorry to interject politics into thread but these are criteria I work.
History repeats itself.
Fascinating stuff.
Enjoy.
"You're all too busy sticking your noses into every corner, poking around for things to complain about, aren't you? Well, let me tell you something-this is exactly how Nazi Germany started! A lot of layabouts with nothing better to do than to cause trouble " -Basil Fawlty

Last edited by Unsustainable : 04-28-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:36 PM

Default Forget all the BS......

It's the only thing worth purchasing on a monthly basis. The only other books
I own are written in Chinese the only American panda book I own is once again written by author Peter Anthony. Without a Peter Anthony you would have to do all stats by yourself and most likely you would only be able to follow Kitco CCF Badon the bay heritage all American. Peter Anthony gives you the scoop west of Hawaii. Which are the people I care to listen to on the hobby and investor side.

You guys ever here about the guy that rode his bike to all the conventions in China? Inspirational to the utmost and Peter Anthony shared that with us.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:36 AM

Unsustainable:
We share pretty much the same view on the economy and world dominance. Is edgy stuff, but feel we are witnessing a change of kingdoms.

James007: With the advent of a few key authors, namely Peter A & Mr.Gee. It has opened up the world to understand Panda's and other Chinese coins to many that normally wouldn't have considered them. I bet with these books, it has cut down on millions of dollars worth of counterfeits in personal collections. Yes, still lots of crap out there, always will be, but will affect all facets whether printed notes or national coinage. Books and guides whether printed paper or internet photo's will be teaching aids. As with any investment, education is key.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 AM

Default Watch dog alert

This bears repeating:

Working with a few people that have bought newer coins that were double sealed.
No such thing from 2006 to present for silver Pandas. No individual pouches, except for gold coins.
The last double bagger was the 2005 issue.

So if you have a 2006 to 2012 common issue silver Panda 10Yuan in a pouch, cut open the pouch, put on your cotton coin gloves and weigh the coins. I bet they are light or under weight. Compare to reliable sources or photo's. If I had one, I'd cut it in half. Could be part copper if underweight by 2 grams or more, but more likely white metal which is lead and zinc combination, with silver plating which would be close to 29.1 to 30.0 gram zone.

Of note, some of these are coming from LCS's..so be careful. This raises another point, "where are they getting them from?" More than likely, bought from someone walking in from the street.

To me, this is no different than having a 1888 Morgan in an original pouch. Red flags everywhere.

Any questions feel free to ask. cheers
Old 05-01-2012, 08:41 PM

Default 2010 Panda Pcgs Ms 70 1oz 999 Silver : A Perfect Panda

These are in "completed listings" from $100 (3 ship)
to $ 197 (15 ship !)

That's a hefty spread
Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinsword View Post
These are in "completed listings" from $100 (3 ship)
to $ 197 (15 ship !)

That's a hefty spread
Merlin,

Lots are going cheaper than $100.00..but those are auctions and not BIN.

Lots with frilly labels too..lol. Let your fingers do the walking for you Merlin. If you want a few...just bid $95.00 each on three ms70's and you'd probably get them. cheers
Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Default What, ME worry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbird View Post
Merlin,

Lots are going cheaper than $100.00..but those are auctions and not BIN.

Lots with frilly labels too..lol. Let your fingers do the walking for you Merlin. If you want a few...just bid $95.00 each on three ms70's and you'd probably get them. cheers
Yeah, I got the 2010s Right ( dealer had ngc OR pcgs , same price: ms70 - $69-.I jumped Hard on the pcgs option) , and am selling one for gas $
. . .But what a crapshoot, $100 up for grabs !

Last edited by merlinsword : 05-02-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinsword View Post
Yeah, I got the 2010s Right ( dealer had ngc OR pcgs , same price: ms70 - $69-.I jumped Hard on the pcgs option) , and am selling one for gas $
. . .But what a crapshoot, $100 up for grabs !
Merlin:

As with anything else for sale, the prices are all over the place. Comp's are a must. But you know that already.

Quite often actual auctions bring a lesser price than a BIN situation. Sometimes folks just need to sell to raise a little cash fast. At leat you are going after the 2010's with a small mintage and graded. These are flat-lining right now and ripe for picking...same for the 2009's, both of the popular types. The 2009-30th anni's with 300K minted are a steal right now in ms69's or ms70's and tuck them away. Their day will shine. cheers