Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Numismatic Discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123abc View Post
What should I get either 2 5 ounce 2011 rabbits or a 10 ouncer.also they have other lunar coins.any recommendations?
Depends on prices 123abc. Also the 5 oz. seems to sell better/faster. With mintage just over 8,000, that is attractive. You have the option to sell one at a time if the time and need arose, so lots of benefits leaning towards the 5 oz. size.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Banned Full

Quote:
What should I get either 2 5 ounce 2011 rabbits or a 10 ouncer.also they have other lunar coins.any recommendations?
123abc, I agree with digbird but....

If you are a new stacker, I wouldn't buy the 5 or 10oz coins unless you pick them up at a bargain basement price.

Try to read the market in advance so that you can make purchases that could bring you a greater capital gain.
These coins should have been collected back in January 2011 or over the last 12 months on dips. It's a bit late to be buying now but you might be lucky!!!

Here's what to do in future.

Study what new coins are going to be released.

https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=90247

Try to work-out what will be popular in the coming years and then buy a small quantity on the release date; if the coins you purchased seem to be liked by the market, buy more.

Your objective should be to buy bullion coins that will have numismatic value in the future. IF they don't have collector appeal, you still have bullion for your stack.

Don't buy modern numismatics like the rabbits unless you know exactly why you are buying. There will always be rare or popular coins released so only buy when the coins are cheap, not when they have already risen in price.

Having said that, I think you will find the 5 and 10oz lunars will retain good prices in the years to come but as I've said don't buy them if your intention is to only hold short term.

There's some great coins due for release by Perth so please don't rush in to buy unless they are very good quality and very cheap.

Best

H

Last edited by Holdfast : 05-05-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post
123abc, I agree with digbird but....

If you are a new stacker, I wouldn't buy the 5 or 10oz coins unless you pick them up at a bargain basement price.

Try to read the market in advance so that you can make purchases that could bring you a greater capital gain.
These coins should have been collected back in January 2011 or over the last 12 months on dips. It's a bit late to be buying now but you might be lucky!!!

Here's what to do in future.

Study what new coins are going to be released.

https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=90247

Try to work-out what will be popular in the coming years and then buy a small quantity on the release date; if the coins you purchased seem to be liked by the market, buy more.

Your objective should be to buy bullion coins that will have numismatic value in the future. IF they don't have collector appeal, you still have bullion for your stack.

Don't buy modern numismatics like the rabbits unless you know exactly why you are buying. There will always be rare or popular coins released so only buy when the coins are cheap, not when they have already risen in price.

Having said that, I think you will find the 5 and 10oz lunars will retain good prices in the years to come but as I've said don't buy them if your intention is to only hold short term.

There's some great coins due for release by Perth so please don't rush in to buy unless they are very good quality and very cheap.

Best

H
I live in the uk the price is 140 for the five ounce and 273 for the ten ounce.in comparison to that,a 10 ounce kook 2012 and a 10 ounce koala 2012 is about 250,so I don't know if that is a good price in relation to the others or not.i have a good core stack so I am really looking to buy and hold for a very long time.i have tried to work out how much the rabbit would be in dollars and knocked off our 20% vat and it works out at about 340 dollars.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I live in the uk the price is 140 for the five ounce and 273 for the ten ounce.in comparison to that,a 10 ounce kook 2012 and a 10 ounce koala 2012 is about 250,so I don't know if that is a good price in relation to the others or not.i have a good core stack so I am really looking to buy and hold for a very long time.i have tried to work out how much the rabbit would be in dollars and knocked off our 20% vat and it works out at about 340 dollars.
Sorry I have just worked it out exact,and it converts to $352,I have knocked off our 20% vat in the conversion.so it's $5 over spot on each ounce.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:58 AM

Just been on the Perth mint website.i could get a 2011 silver proof high relief and a 2012 kook high relief both at about 64.dont know how much I would get charged for delivery,that works out at $103.dont know how to gauge if that's a good price.i think I'm getting numi fever.ha ha.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Just been on the Perth mint website.i could get a 2011 silver proof high relief and a 2012 kook high relief both at about 64.dont know how much I would get charged for delivery,that works out at $103.dont know how to gauge if that's a good price.i think I'm getting numi fever.ha ha.
That is close to what I would have to pay for Canadian dollars ($101.45CAD) Doubt you'd get it much cheaper. If you haven't ordered from Perth before, the first time items they don't charge postage. Buy 2 and sell one latter, that is how you get ahead.
The rabbit is a bit high in price for a 5oz. One just sold for $228.50 this week in Canada. Like I've always said in the past, buy the year of issue from the mint, usually won't find them cheaper. Your VAT is sure hard on silver collectors over there in the UK.