Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Silver discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 12:05 PM

Default Melting Silver

I am thinking about melting down a sterling silver spoon...just for fun. Any of you ever do this? If so, how do you remove the impurities and what did you melt it in?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:18 PM

You will need some nitric acid to purify the silver. It's a bit hazardest but its really fun. YouTube has a lot of videos on this. I have done about 5 kilos myself so far. It's the bar making that is difficult
Old 08-05-2013, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:36 PM

Ebay also has little kits for this stuff. Like they have graphite molds, crucibles, borax, etc.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:39 PM

OP, you might decide to post a picture of what you intend on melting and when the Captain comes out of hiding from the hills of Colorado on his motorcycle he may tell you that the item you are melting is indeed worth much more as a spoon then as a bar, coin or nugget. Most of us, myself included don't know the difference of what is of great value and what should be melted, other than anything that is stamped Tiffany and Company..Their are hundreds of hallmarks and few really know what's what>? If it's scrap jewerly that's a different story..

Hope this helps,

csg ~~ "Deuces."
Old 08-05-2013, 12:40 PM

Default Melting silver

#1 you need a crucible
#2 you need some borax
#3 you need a torch one that adds oxygen like a cutting torch with a welding tip or rose bud tip.
Safety first before you start
safety glasses gloves crucible holder.
Melt the borax to coat crucible 1/4" 1/2"deep. Melt scrap then pore in a mold.
My picture is one I melted some maple's and let it cool in the crucible. I must of over the heated. 2 0z"s is now 1.8 Oz's I think its so cool it looks like the moon.
After t cooled I dropped it to break the flux or borax off . Its like a glass at this point. then I polishes it lightly.
To refine it is something else I just send to a refiner
Keep staking
Old 08-05-2013, 12:42 PM

If you want to attempt making bars, it's all fun. However, know that you are going to have a much harder time selling this than you would a stamped bar. Most buyers/investors/stackers, whatever you want to call us do not trust home poured bars. Including myself.

But hey, if it's just for sh*ts and giggles... go for it. There's tons of articles you can pull from a quick google search.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the info. It's just for fun since I recently purchased an acetylene torch. I have plenty of silver and haven't sold an oz. since I started collecting. Not too concerned with scrapping a few oz's for fun.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:28 PM

Lots of towns have jewelry workshops that teach casting. In my town there is an art center with an entire jewelry wing. Courses are roughly $50 or you can drop in for a single day for $5. The one in my town has a kiln, torches, and crucibles that you can melt down metals in. They also have a centrifugal caster for use with lost wax casting. Those can be a lot of fun! But anyway, they often have all the tools you would need to cast and pour your own metal, including safety items like super thick gloves, goggles, tongs, face shields, etc... and there's someone there that can help if you have any questions. I'm all for doing it in your garage as well, but sometimes it can be beneficial to have someone around who knows the tricks of the trade. I have cast my own medallions, poured ingots, and made my own alloys at courses like this. Now I have a kiln and torch at my house and don't need to go to the workshop anymore, but it was a lot of fun while I was there! Plus you're often surrounded by like minded people that love to talk about metal. If you haven't checked it out, I highly suggest you at least look into it. Just make sure you go on a day geared towards casting. There will no doubt be classes for everything involved in jewelry making, and you probably won't want to sit through a beading class, lol. Most workshops will list the curriculum being taught each day, and which days are open workshop days.

Good luck with your endeavors!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:06 PM

Don't forget an exhaust fan and I would imagine a hood also. Never melted it other than for glassblowing but it's toxic shat.