Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Silver discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2012, 12:04 AM

Cool Since 1980, silver's inflation adjusted price is lower by about 5% ???

According to this article, since 1980, silver's inflation adjusted price is actual lower by about 5%.

This article goes on to say that silver's inflation adjusted price should be about $141.00 / oz.

Is this article right about silver's inflation adjusted price?

Here's a link to this silver article .........

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article33044.html

Thanks .........

Please note ......... these comments are just my opinion ......... thanks
Old 02-09-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPutz View Post
According to this article, since 1980, silver's inflation adjusted price is actual lower by about 5%.

No, it's not the inflation adjusted price, but the actual price is lower by 5%.

This article goes on to say that silver's inflation adjusted price should be about $141.00 / oz.

Is this article right about silver's inflation adjusted price?

Yes, that sounds about right.

Here's a link to this silver article .........

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article33044.html

Thanks .........
We just have to realize that in 1980 the Hunt brothers tried cornering the silver market and sent it to uncharted territory. We all know what happened after the party was over.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 AM

Cool

Thanks for the info.

Please note ......... these comments are just my opinion ......... thanks
Old 02-09-2012, 01:17 AM

When I first got into silver a little over a year ago I bought into all this 1980's inflation adjusted nonsense. Some lessons are only learned the hard way, such as me buying up to $45 because, after all, when adjusted for inflation of the 1980 highs I was still getting a bargain! There are absolutely no useful POS comparisons if the 1980 high is used as any part of the equation.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:30 AM

Donít feel bad about buying at 45.00. Youíll come to realize that it was a bargain.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UkonCornelius1776 View Post
When I first got into silver a little over a year ago I bought into all this 1980's inflation adjusted nonsense. Some lessons are only learned the hard way, such as me buying up to $45 because, after all, when adjusted for inflation of the 1980 highs I was still getting a bargain! There are absolutely no useful POS comparisons if the 1980 high is used as any part of the equation.
your lucky bought at $45
in 1980
you are right though UC76
Old 02-09-2012, 02:03 AM

This topic is interesting in a certain aspect.
It doesn't matter if two brothers or 50000 brothers corner a market, the result is the same. The demand for silver in the monetary role (thus stacking) shot up big time since 2008. In 1980, US price inflation reached 13.5%. But look at what the monetary base did, in the 5 years before, 1975-1980:: http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2...&category_id=0 - from 90 to 140, which is just 55% up.
Now look at the silver price trend, http://www.sharelynx.com/chartsfixed/SI.gif - from 5 to 50, which is 1000% up. What backs that? Nothing but the cornering itself. It wasnt hard for the central planners to target a couple brothers heavily, which was easy since they borrowed heavily to buy silver and had a huge amount futures contracts on the Comex.
This time has some differences. The silver is bought by many small fish (*blinks*) and as the real thing, not futures contracts. Remember how end 2012 the price was $26 while the amount futures contracts was a 10 years low. The silver sits in stacks and those stocks like from Sprott. And this is why I like to repeat like a parrot to avoid to buy silver when alot futures contracts, such way of buying drains off most possible silver from the supply chain and thus a real market backbone for the price. A more stable price attracts then more savers. Avoids less panic sales. Unlike in 1980, the central planners can't use Comex regulation/limits to force selling. They have to show us their ugly fascist nature openly, law. And they hate to do that because they like to be seen as proponents of freedom, democracy, etc.

But, above strategy requires some discipline, courage and patience from stackers. Buy only at heavily supported prices, sell only when you need and not more than you need. Just like a bank account, where one sells just the amount dollars needed for the goodie he wanted.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:50 AM

Gold has doubled the 1980 high, Silver has some catching up to do i would think
Old 02-09-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Gold has doubled the 1980 high, Silver has some catching up to do i would think
Physical silver market needs to become bigger and that requires confidence and that requires less volatility and that requires newbies to not just buy at any price. Information, the key to success
Old 02-09-2012, 07:39 AM

Is it not amazing that the more dollars they print the more valuable the dollar becomes when compared to a hard tangible asset such as silver, what should that tell you?...

Great Depression II, NWO, Economic Collapse, Mega Volcanoes, Mega Quakes, Mega Tsunamis, Global Warming, Ice Age, Earth Changes, Pandemics, Famines, Global Killer Meteors, Mega Solar Flares, Galactic Equator, Planet X, EMP, Armageddon, Executive Bonuses...

Paranoid? Not I...