Home Site Map

Go Back   Kitco Forums > The Markets > Numismatic Discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 06:51 PM

Default Anacs Modern Coins

I was at my local dealer today and he had quite a few ms-70 slabbed coins from ANACS, so I picked up a few for $38 a piece. My question is, is ANACS modern slabs have a premium like the PCGS and NGC ones do?

I got one of the following.

1992 MS 70 DCAM Kookaburra
2010 - p MS 70 DCAM Kookabura
2010 MS 70 Britannia two pound silver ounce
2010 - p MS 70 DCAM Koala
Old 02-22-2012, 07:02 PM

Default not the same

the modern ANACS slabs don't get the same respect/price as the top two but they bring more than what you paid so you did good.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:10 PM

Anacs is crap nowadays. Thats what you see the sleaze bags sell on the shopper channels all the time, just so they can say certified and graded but it carries no weight with collectors. In fact NGC and PCGS won't allow cross grading anymore from them as their grades mean nothing.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:56 PM

Deduct 2 - 3 grades for an ANACS coin, generally.

For IGC and SGS, deduct 70 grades.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coindog View Post
the modern ANACS slabs don't get the same respect/price as the top two but they bring more than what you paid so you did good.
Well that is good news, at least I paid a low premium. I kind of knew that ANACS wasn't as good but I always wanted some nice "shinnies" for a low price. I looked at them and three out of four have small "more" shinny parts on them so that would be an automatic ms-69. The koala looks flawless though.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:10 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibex66 View Post
Anacs is crap nowadays. Thats what you see the sleaze bags sell on the shopper channels all the time, just so they can say certified and graded but it carries no weight with collectors. In fact NGC and PCGS won't allow cross grading anymore from them as their grades mean nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangmanbob View Post
Deduct 2 - 3 grades for an ANACS coin, generally.

For IGC and SGS, deduct 70 grades.
What are your sources?

I have experience...you are wrong...no, not flat out, but you are too accusing of ANACS.

My experience with ANACS has been excellent. Great Customer Service, grading has been very honest.

Yellow Labels...great deals in Yellow Labels.

Look, when you hear all of the stories and you have no experience, it is easy to be a parrot.

PCGS is good
ANACS is good
NGC is good

Other companies...well, let's say, as in all purchases of numismatic coins; buy the coin not the slab!

Barack Hussein Obama
State of The Union Speech 2014
Old 02-23-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chump Change View Post
What are your sources?

I have experience...you are wrong...no, not flat out, but you are too accusing of ANACS.

Look, when you hear all of the stories and you have no experience, it is easy to be a parrot.

PCGS is good
ANACS is good
NGC is good

Other companies...well, let's say, as in all purchases of numismatic coins; buy the coin not the slab!
Based on typical coin show prices. I do CAREFULLY shop ANACS for coins that are underpriced, especially Morgans and Peace Dollars. I have some pretty decent registery sets (Morgan and Peace) with nothing below MS64. The best ANACS I have had regraded by PCGS, out of slab, came in 1 grade down, and most come in 2 - 3 grades down. That is why the typical prices I see are adjusted down a few notches, unless they are looking for a fish.